Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RV770 Support Added To RadeonHD Driver

Phoronix: RV770 Support Added To RadeonHD Driver

The Novell developers behind the xf86-video-radeonhd driver have yet to receive their hardware samples from AMD for the Radeon HD 4850 or Radeon HD 4870, but there is already AtomBIOS-based support for these next-generation graphics processors. This open-source driver now has basic mode-setting support, but the 2D and 3D work is still to come.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does this new driver also include support for the Radeon HD 3200 IGP?

Comment

Radeonhd has had support for the HD3200 for a while now, although I don't remember if support was added before the last release. You might need more recent code from git.

Current support is display/modesetting + shadowfb acceleration only, ie no 3d, but 3d is in the works.
      Test signature

Comment

I thought the modesetting support for HD3200 was still incomplete (no DisplayPort support eg. for ASRock A780FullDisplayPort). Has this changed in current git?

Comment

Ahh yes. Display port has not been a priority on any of the chips that support it (HD32xx, HD34xx, HD36xx, HD48xx) since there are very few displays out there, but it is on the list for implementation and having full atombios support will be a big help to getting display port running.

So yes, this will help with display port but does not add support today.
          Test signature

Comment

Good to hear that it is being worked on.

Using DisplayPort seems to be the only way to connect two digital displays to 780G chipsets, as DVI+HDMI combination is not supported (at least by the boards on the market today).

Comment

Interesting... and odd. It's almost impossible to buy a discrete care that does *not* have 2 DVI ports, wonder why mobo's are so different ? Maybe the only way to get the 2nd digital output is to give up 4 PCIE lanes, will check...

EDIT - according to their specs the Gigabyte GA-MA78GM and Asus M3A78-EMH each have 1 DVI + 1 HDMI port. Always hard to be sure without actually holding one in your hands and all the pics on the websites seem to be "lifestyle" shots showing how exciting your life will be if you buy this motherboard

http://www.compusa.com/include/AddCa...1&imgcounter=5
              Last edited by bridgman; 10 July 2008, 09:50 PM.
              Test signature

Comment

According to its specifications, the ASUS M3A78-EMH only supports this:
                Originally posted by http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=2064&l1=3&l2=149&l 3=639&l4=0
                Dual VGA output support:
                RGB & DVI/HDMI
                And the user manual for the Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H says
                Originally posted by http://america.giga-byte.com/FileList/Manual/motherboard_manual_ga-ma78gm-s2h_e.pdf
                Dual
                Display
                Combination Supported or Not
                DVI-D + D-Sub Yes
                DVI-D + HDMI No
                HDMI + D-Sub Yes
                It looks to me like this is either a hardware limitation of the 780G, or the manufacturers were too cheap to route DVI and HDMI outputs to different ports on the chipset.

Comment

Yep... sounds like there's just a single set of dedicated digital outputs and you have to steal PCIE lines for the second one. That said, IIRC there's a different output block used for the muxed output and I'm pretty sure we have seen it used on at least one 780 mobo. We have definitely seen it used on 690s.
                  Test signature

Comment

which driver for amd/ati hd3200 (780G) chipset

Hi, I'm using the vesa driver for the amd/ati hd3200 (780G) chipset (Gigabyte GA-MA78G-DS3H mobo). The problem I have is extremely heavy CPU use by Xorg, whenever any action is done (move a window, open an application, watch a dvd, etc). CPU use may go beyond 100%. I don't use Compiz or any 3D stuff. I mean, I am doing just usual plain 2D work. The problem is worst in KDE 3.5 compared to Gnome.
                    Please can you explain me: is this due to lack of 2D hardware acceleration by the vesa driver? I installed the newest proprietary ATI driver (v 8.6) and the Xorg CPU use was even worst than vesa, so I reverted to vesa again. However, vesa driver does not allow me to get the full screen resolution. Am I doing something wrong or the drivers are still unfinished even at 2D? Is there any driver that fully support this chipset?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Gigabyte GA-MA78G-DS3H mobo connected to a digital Acer 22"
                    AMD AThlon X2 64 5000+
                    4G DDR2 800MHZ

Comment

Working...
                    X