SimCity (original) released under GPL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SimCity (original) released under GPL

I was reading my e-mail when I suddenly saw this on the Fedora-Games mailing list.

Yes, SimCity (the original version) has been released under the GPL (yay!). It will have its name changed (to the original internal "code name", Micropolis), and will be also available for the Toy du Jour, the OLPC (oddly enough, with its original name, SimCity). EA is involved in "QA approving" the OLPC version, but will not be involved in the GPL version at all (so long as the name remains Micropolis and there's no reference to SimCity, since it is an EA's trademark).

This blog post is awesome and contains a lot of details about the release, the engine and history of the game. I won't spoil it further, go read it!

Yeah this is cool... this was one of my favorite games when it came out... I spent so many hours playing this game and I still remember the cities I created. If anyone knows where a packaged deb file can be found that would be helpful.

Comment

Well bit offtopic and to everybody else know, that on suse/rpm there is this clone version and if you find the original (mentioned version )
      avaible, unfortunately i dont know where ( source ) it is avaible package for -deb.

Comment

Originally posted by Mota_boy View Post
        Well bit offtopic and to everybody else know, that on suse/rpm there is this clone version and if you find the original (mentioned version )
        avaible, unfortunately i dont know where ( source ) it is avaible package for -deb.
        Do you mean 'LinCity' by any chance?

Comment

Hmm dont remember exactly now but i think it wasnt the "LinCity"
          i was clone version of it if remember right again,
          and of course by tar -package its possible to install it too, but there was some sordow source too, that was my point if i remember it right, does anybdy else remember?

Comment

I've seen this on my friend's OLPC. Pretty cool =)

Comment

a month or two and there we'll see some projects basing off this codebase.

i'm expecting something cool coming out of this like openttd, if there will be some people who still love the game (i just couldn't get used to it, and lost all the time, so i guess i'm not one of them :] ).

Comment

It would be so cool if old Loki ports would get GPLed ... some of those games could begin a second life this way

Comment

Originally posted by val-gaav View Post
                  It would be so cool if old Loki ports would get GPLed ... some of those games could begin a second life this way
                  ain't gonna happen, not any time soon, anyway. Maybe Svartalf could elaborate more on this? I just don't see this happening, as the copyright holders of the code are not Loki, but their respective licensors, Loki (AFAIK) was only a licensee

Comment

well I know the rights are/were not loki's... but EA opened up simcity to get good press from supporting OLPC ... Games ported by Loki are old and many of them would run on OLPC so it might be a good idea to get companies interested in opening them up and gainig good press from supporting OLPC...

anyway fe. Heroes of Might and Magic 3 is an old game already, linux version is a one without addons (which removes some of the gameplay aspects).. It's current copyright holder is progressing with the series HoMM5 is on the market and HoMM6 in the process of production ... Opening Heroes 3 could be a good advertisement of their windows products...

Comment

Working...
                    X