• Show
Clear All

@AJSB

Because PowerVR crap, that's why.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
      @AJSB

Because PowerVR crap, that's why.
      Because it's a blob driver , performance or both ?

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
        Because it's a blob driver , performance or both ?
        The blob driver was a joke. It could only run on certain obsolete distros, and only then with a lot of work.

The OSS driver is much better, but it still is a very basic driver. It can draw things, it can control backlight brightness, but it has no acceleration. So if you want to run something like Unity (the interface) on it, you better like that ~5FPS performance! It's not so bad with Xfce, though. But again, you can't run anything that is 3D or HD videos on it without major performance issues.

That makes AMD the only good choice for Linux on low-end x86 hardware at this point. I recently purchased a Brazos-based EeePC (it was quite a bargain), and while its performance is not amazing, it's leaps and bounds better than on my Oak Trail-based device. Not to mention that with Catalyst, its battery holds up to 8 hours (more than its spec says) and with r600g up to 7 hours.

Comment

Thanks for the info and indeed, i check out the Net and there is a bunch of mini-ITX boards with AMD APUs with very interesting prices and specs as for I/O goes !

So, what can i expect from AMD APUs like E-240, E-350 and E-450 ?

Good enough for 1080p video playback w/o "hiccups". ?!?

Good enough for simple games like Wolfenstein : Enemy Territory , Xonotic , Alien Arena ,etc. even if i have to lower the graphics resolution to 800x600 and cut the effects all the way down ?

...or do i need something with more "punch" ?!?

I don't see specs about OpenGL of these APUs....only specs talking about Dx11...

How well are these APUs supported by Linux Kernel and FOSS video drivers in special 3D graphics ?

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
            So, what can i expect from AMD APUs like E-240, E-350 and E-450 ?
            Much better linux experience than with the recent Atoms
            Do make sure to get the dual-core versions, e-240 is a single core.

Good enough for 1080p video playback w/o "hiccups". ?!?

Good enough for simple games like Wolfenstein : Enemy Territory , Xonotic , Alien Arena ,etc. even if i have to lower the graphics resolution to 800x600 and cut the effects all the way down ?

...or do i need something with more "punch" ?!?

I don't see specs about OpenGL of these APUs....only specs talking about Dx11...
            It's a hd5450, embedded into the cpu. Look for that card in reviews to see how it performs. Has xvba video accel using the blob.

How well are these APUs supported by Linux Kernel and FOSS video drivers in special 3D graphics ?
            Very well.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
              Much better linux experience than with the recent Atoms
              Do make sure to get the dual-core versions, e-240 is a single core.

It's a hd5450, embedded into the cpu. Look for that card in reviews to see how it performs. Has xvba video accel using the blob.

Very well.
              E-350 and E-450 are the ones to go then....

But i just checked in the ASUS site, and they claim that in their mini-ITX boards the E-350 is HD6310 and E-450 is HD-6320

Comment

The 6310/6310 are the marketing names for the GPU in the E-350/E-450. It is basically the same as the 5450 minus Eyefinity support.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
                  The 6310/6310 are the marketing names for the GPU in the E-350/E-450. It is basically the same as the 5450 minus Eyefinity support.

Ah OK , it's all marketing , glad to be clarified....

Well i checked the performance of it and no matter is clearly inferior to my current 9600GT 1GB DDR3 RAM graphic card (correct me if i'm wrong),

i also believe that i'ts clearly superior to my previous "graphic card" that was Intel build in graphics in the motherboard chipset....i do not recall correctly at 100% , but before current MB, i had a Asus P5B MB , i think or something like that, that includes a P965 chipset and , AFAIK, that is clearly inferior to a HD 5450 (again, correct me if i'm wrong) and i played, IIRC, W:ET and even ET:QW with it for some time...

So , a HD5450 might not be that bad to play (simpler ?) games and in fact, it even supports Dx11 where's my 9600GT only supported Dx10 (not that it matters for LINUX world) and OpenGL 4.0 that my 9600 doesn't support (dunno if my 9600 GY supports Open CL 1.1)....

I confess that i always was a NVIDIA FanBoy (but far from a Intel FanBoy no matter i always used their CPUs as for PCs goes) but now...

I'm impressed...

Comment

Yes, you are correct on both accounts. And yes, the integrated HD 63XX GPUs use Evergreen chips, but at least those shouldn't be dropped in the near future, as AMD did a drop recently. And once that does happen, r600g should be good enough to handle most tasks.

Yes, there are a few videos on YouTube showing those GPUs handling things like GTA. According to Game Debate, you should be able to play ET:QW on high settings using an HD 6320. On lowest settings, you should even be able to play CoD4:MW.

Comment

I'm completely sold to it !!!

I watched some of those videos and in one of CoDMW2 the player, in a scene with a fair amount of shooting, was getting spikes of 15fps minimum and usually between 20-30 with sometimes a bit more....

But he was playing at native res. of 1366x768 ! I intend to play at 800x600 ! that is less than half of the pixels !!!

That will boost FPS a lot reaching some very acceptable values.

Comment

Working...
                      X