Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X.Org Foundation Issues Hasty CFP For XDC2012

Phoronix: X.Org Foundation Issues Hasty CFP For XDC2012

The X.Org Developers' Conference 2012 is happening next month. Unfortunately, continuing to reflect the hastily-managed organization, the board has now come up with a call for presentations...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I doubt the two week limit means "we're not going to let you present", just "hey try to send us something before you forget OK ?". Maybe I'm not yet sufficiently cynical, but this seems like a step in the right direction.

AFAIK most presentations are written the day of presenting anyways, unless the slides are being re-used from an earlier conference
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      I doubt the two week limit means "we're not going to let you present", just "hey try to send us something before you forget OK ?".
      According to Egbert, he says he's not going to even pay attention to the CFP at all since the board is doing it at the last minute and they didn't even inform him..... So he's just going to make the schedule based upon who emails him or what's thrown on the Wiki.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

well, the first serious talk should be about getting the organisation back on track. appoint a few new persons for pr and finance.

Comment

Is there ever a positive story on phoronix? For all the negative comments, the foundation has done quite a bit in the last few years:
          - Host a yearly developers conference
          - Fund students to attend conferences
          - Manage several EVoC projects
          - Become a non-profit 501(c)3
          - Funded and organized book sprints to write documentation

The board is all volunteers and we do it in the limited spare time we have.

This is the first time we've done an official CFP and while it is pretty close the conference, we figured it was a good idea to get in the habit for future conferences. Someone may wish to submit one anyway. The usual informal presentations will still be there. Additionally there will be a book sprint at the start of the week for those who want to help write documentation.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
            Is there ever a positive story on phoronix?
            The ones about beer are often positive.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
              The ones about beer are often positive.
              Only if they're of Deutsche-origin. As was said above, there does seem to be an overwhelming amount negative coverage on Phoronix about X.Org, based on the feeds. As an impartial reader, that's looks about right. Speculatively, it looks as if Michael's expecting his posts to aid in motivating someone to do something
              Hi

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
                Only if they're of Deutsche-origin. As was said above, there does seem to be an overwhelming amount negative coverage on Phoronix about X.Org, based on the feeds. As an impartial reader, that's looks about right. Speculatively, it looks as if Michael's expecting his posts to aid in motivating someone to do something
                Eh, more likely he just wants to try and stir up controversy to encourage more posts in the forum. He posts at least 1 article a week designed simply to start flamewars, so that's consistent with his MO.

Comment

I feel he's correct about the X.org foundation, not just trying to get more page views. They could fairly easily re-set up their old funding models and hire a fulltime person for managing it.

Having someone dedicated to pushing X would certainly change things a bit.

Comment

armchair quarterbacks

Originally posted by Keimpe View Post
                    well, the first serious talk should be about getting the organisation back on track. appoint a few new persons for pr and finance.
                    What new persons? There are no PR or finance persons. There's very few people workin in X.Org and a good chunk of those are volunteers who try to make time to do stuff.

You know what we get for our efforts? People taking shots as us in forums like this and in LUGs. A bunch of armchair quarterbacks.

Noone wants to help; everyone instead wants to just talk about the problems in X.

Especially here. Michael, you are more interested in getting page hits via flames than anything else. The 'research' you do for the negative stories is 10x what you do for anything positive. Example: Even that email I sent you last year regarding one of the GSoC students. I talked to the student, did some basic intro stuff for you, all you had to do was contact the student and chat with him. You didn't even bother contacting him. You took my email and basically posted it, within a couple hours of me sending it. I don't think you could have been handed an easier story; and it would have been interesting too because there was some meat there. You couldn't even be bothered to do that.

Comment

Working...
                    X