Wine 1.7.3 Readies D3D Command Stream Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by synaptix View Post
    It's not even a full Linux port. For example on TF2, the -dxlevel XX launch option still manipulates how the game displays things. It's still using partial DirectX code that gets translated into OpenGL which causes an overhead which results in poor performance.

Just look at Steam for Linux community forum, dozens on dozens of threads concerning poor performance of source. People with extremely high end computers with CPUs like i7's and GPUs in the high end series are getting like 40 FPS (and incredibly choppy unresponsive gameplay) on TF2 (300+ on Windows) with vsync turned off both ingame and control panel.
    This is really weird, Team fortress 2 runs better in linux than in windows, even when I use the free driver in my ati hd4200, and in windows, of course, catalyst-legacy.

Comment

And look how terribly bad the Source engine performs on Linux.
      Check your setup.
      The results I'm seeing on my nVidia based laptop under Linux are comparable if not better than Windows 8.
      This under both L4D2 and HL2.

Quite remarkably wine managed to pull >80% of native performance under HL2ep1.

- Gilboa
      oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
      oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
      oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
      Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

So how do I get my hands on this new optimized D3D Wine? Just update it and use it or do I need to add a command?

Comment

Originally posted by gilboa View Post
          Quite remarkably wine managed to pull >80% of native performance under HL2ep1.

- Gilboa
          Might be even better if you're not already using the CSMT patches (although I assume you are being in this thread). Although you should make sure you use the SteamPipe beta on both systems as they do have some performance improvements.

Comment

Just look at Steam for Linux community forum, dozens on dozens of threads concerning poor performance of source. People with extremely high end computers with CPUs like i7's and GPUs in the high end series are getting like 40 FPS (and incredibly choppy unresponsive gameplay) on TF2 (300+ on Windows) with vsync turned off both ingame and control panel.
            Are they by any chance using an AMD GPU? I have a GTX 650 TI, and my performance is on-par with that on Windows. My brother on the other hand has a HD 7770, which performs not to great (playable, but not as smooth as should be).

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
              Might be even better if you're not already using the CSMT patches (although I assume you are being in this thread). Although you should make sure you use the SteamPipe beta on both systems as they do have some performance improvements.
              Actually, back when I used wine to play HL2 and L4D2 (before the great penguin winter migration *), CSMT wasn't available.
              I can only assume that CSMT will further improve the Steam engine performance.
              I do plan to test CSMT with wine as soon as I have some free time. I've got an on-going X3:TC game that I cannot convert to the native Linux version due to excessive customization that for the life of me I cannot reproduce (Oh, the irony!). Being severely CPU bottle-necked (The X engine is single threaded) CSMT might actually be a life-saver. (At least until I finally give up and switch to the native Linux version of X3:TC/AP...)

Thanks for the SteamPipe head's up. I'll give it a test.

- Gilboa
              * http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/linux...ter-migration/
              oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
              oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
              oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).

Comment

Originally posted by gilboa View Post
                I can only assume that CSMT will further improve the Steam engine performance.
                I do plan to test CSMT with wine as soon as I have some free time. I've got an on-going X3:TC game that I cannot convert to the native Linux version due to excessive customization that for the life of me I cannot reproduce (Oh, the irony!).
                http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/linux...ter-migration/
                One of the developers of CSMT, Stefan Dosinger, was talking of matching or exceeding Windows performance for Source engine games when using CSMT. I haven't tested on Windows native yet but I was getting only somewhat slower than native linux performance for Half Life 2: Lost Coast. Certainly it will depend on the specific hardware and drivers (I'm using a nvidia 660 with binary drivers).

I'm going to test the open source R600 driver with CSMT on my laptop as I was already getting quite good Source engine performance with stock wine.

As for Linux native issues, yeah there are still some bugs to be worked around. Native source games don't work in fullscreen using my default window manager, ratpoison, so I have to temporarily switch to fluxbox. Whereas Wine's multiple fullscreen options tend to work one way or another.

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
                  One of the developers of CSMT, Stefan Dosinger, was talking of matching or exceeding Windows performance for Source engine games when using CSMT. I haven't tested on Windows native yet but I was getting only somewhat slower than native linux performance for Half Life 2: Lost Coast. Certainly it will depend on the specific hardware and drivers (I'm using a nvidia 660 with binary drivers).

I'm going to test the open source R600 driver with CSMT on my laptop as I was already getting quite good Source engine performance with stock wine.

As for Linux native issues, yeah there are still some bugs to be worked around. Native source games don't work in fullscreen using my default window manager, ratpoison, so I have to temporarily switch to fluxbox. Whereas Wine's multiple fullscreen options tend to work one way or another.
                  Most likely I'm having a bad brain day, but for the life of me I cannot seem to find rebased CSMT patchset for 1.7.3.
                  I assume you're using 1.7.1?

- Gilboa

Comment

Working...
                  X