No announcement yet.

Support for kernel 2.6.29?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This website is for sale! ati-forum.de is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, ati-forum.de has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

so the new catalyst will be out on Tuesday. I am sure you can survive until then without the holy solving all problems 2.6.29 kernel

Comment

Originally posted by egon2003 View Post
      If that is true I will replace my card with nvidia this month.
      I am getting so tired of how they handle things. Only Ubuntu getting support with prereleases etc.
      why? is there someone forcing you the latest kernels? Or is it just a bad case of versionitis?

Comment

The video tearing is much more annonying than kernel support, also vdrift crash on exit.

Comment

I hear so much about video tearing - but I don't see it. Why?

Comment

Well when you use lenny with xserver 1.4.2 you see it definitely. Maybe it is better with newer xserver, no idea. I enabled compiz for testing (because u has it on by default) and it was so extremely slow when a video way played that i uninstalled fglrx immediately. The oss driver has MUCH better xv support.

Comment

a) I don't use compiz - because it is a broken POS, ever was
              b) I don't use lenny. I don't use debian. I never will
              c) I don't use stone old software. So no Xserver 1.4.X but something more recent - 1.6.1
              d) even with earlier xorg-server versions I never saw that mysterious 'tearing'.
              e) I am using tvtime which does not work without xv - and it works well.

Comment

Video tearing is wierd; some people see it easily and it really bugs them, other people (like most developers ) don't see it at all. I was checking out the open drivers that shipped with Jaunty and watching Big Buck Bunny - I thought it was real smooth, but one of the guys from our multimedia team came over and was pointing out tears every few seconds. I never saw a single one.
                Test signature

Comment

My eyes are trained to see those errors, i saw em with vdpau + enabled composite at once too. But compared to fgrlx the oss ati is smooth. Nvidia is definitely the best driver for video but ati oss is not bad.

Comment

hm, I am not too distortion resistant - I can't stand 75Hz on a crt for example. But video looks good on my desktop...

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                      Well 2.6.29 support can be patched, with a smaller patch, when your distro provides some extra files or a very huge one. But 2.6.30 seems to be really problematic. When you make it compile then it uses 2 symbols which are not in the kernel anymore, one could possibly patched, but the other is in the binary part, so no go. I do not understand that when ati only provides drivers for the latest cards that they are not able to try a new kernel. Ubuntu even has got a collection of every mainline kernel incl. rc, so they would not even require to compile it on their own. Nvidia somehow manages for their current cards, for the others i am still waiting for official 2.6.30 support but 2.6.29 is there for every card.
                      I think you are talking about "pci_enable_msi".
                      I just make small place holder function like this:
                      #undef pci_enable_msi
                      int pci_enable_msi(struct pci_dev *pdev)
                      {
                      int pci_out;
                      pci_out=pci_enable_msi_block(pdev, 1);
                      return pci_out;
                      }
                      and add it somewhere in fglrx module.
                      I don't guarantee that it will actually work because last time I checked this, I was on 2.6.30-rc2 and since then I deleted my patch.
                      RBEU #1000000000 - Registered Bad English User

Comment

Working...
                      X