Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Tegra With Open-Source Graphics Is Coming

Phoronix: NVIDIA Tegra With Open-Source Graphics Is Coming

In continuation of NVIDIA Tegra With Open-Source Graphics Is Coming, here is the video that covers all of what's currently going on in the open-source Tegra world...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Gotta see it before I believe it.

That said, it would make nVidia the first SoC to actually have opensource drivers. Very very impressive indeed. If it turns out to be true, I wonder why this strategy doesn't work for the desktop cards.

Comment

^ Several older SoCs with 2d-only blocks have open drivers.

Comment

Obviously I was hinting to fully open graphics support, e.g. 2D, 3D and vpdau on the tegra.

Comment

I have a tegra2 powered tablet. Tegra2 sucks. It cannot even fluently playback 720p H.264 video! Any sub ?100 Chinese brand tablet can do that. But not tegra2 powered tablet, Nvidia fucked up big time with tegra2.

Comment

It's getting chilly in hell

I wish we could have hardware documentation for the GeForce series too.

Comment

Originally posted by oliver View Post
              Obviously I was hinting to fully open graphics support, e.g. 2D, 3D and vpdau on the tegra.
              I cannot talk for the rest of the open source community, but as the only one who seem to be openly working on the 3D-parts of the Tegra so far, I'd like to state the following:

I am not currently planning on writing an open source 3D driver for the Tegra. While I do hope that an open source 3D driver is where my work eventually leads, right now I'm not comfortable making any promises other than this: I'll continue reverse engineering the interface to the Tegra GPU for as long as I find it fun.

Comment

Originally posted by kusma View Post
                I cannot talk for the rest of the open source community, but as the only one who seem to be openly working on the 3D-parts of the Tegra so far, I'd like to state the following:

I am not currently planning on writing an open source 3D driver for the Tegra. While I do hope that an open source 3D driver is where my work eventually leads, right now I'm not comfortable making any promises other than this: I'll continue reverse engineering the interface to the Tegra GPU for as long as I find it fun.
                If you aren't quite able or skilled enough to write a complete 3d driver there may be others out there who could help you out on that

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
                  If you aren't quite able or skilled enough to write a complete 3d driver there may be others out there who could help you out on that
                  I've been heavily involved in the development of proprietary OpenGL ES drivers before (for the ARM Mali series), so It's not that I'm not able to. It's more that it's not where my level of ambition is -- at least not yet. I don't want to promise things I might not follow through on.

Comment

Tegra 3 has good performance, but the z buffer seams limited.

Comment

Working...
                    X