Catalyst - games unplayable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catalyst - games unplayable

I installed Catalsyst driver from fglrx-updates (2:8.960-0ubuntu1) and games like Xonotic and ut2k4 are unplayable. When there are bots appearing or there's some action games are stuttering badly (not to mention I can't change graphic settings in Xonotic, because it crashes). With Open Source Radeon drivers they work flawlessly. I also ran Unigine Heaven to check if fglrx is installed correctly and it ran without problems.

Funny, i mainly tested Heaven and gl2benchmark (and Rage/wine but was very bad) with fglrx but not Xonotic I still don't get why Linux users get AMD gfx cards to play games...

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
      Funny, i mainly tested Heaven and gl2benchmark (and Rage/wine but was very bad) with fglrx but not Xonotic I still don't get why Linux users get AMD gfx cards to play games...
      I bought it to play Fallout: New Vegas and Skyrim under Windows. I heard it's working better with those games. However, I can't confirm this, because I have many problems. Under Linux it's only usable with Open Source drivers for me.

Comment

And you talk about which card? I mainly use hd 5670 as my hd 4550 seems to be soon legacy.

Comment

And you talk about which card? I mainly use hd 5670 as my hd 4550 seems to be soon legacy.
          Mine is hd 6570.

Comment

Well not really a gamer card, maybe just sell it and get something better.

Comment

Well not really a gamer card, maybe just sell it and get something better.
              No kidding. UT2k4 is an old game and while it works much better with Open Source drivers then there's something wrong with Catalyst. Next time I'll buy nVidia, that's for sure.

Comment

Usually it is not hard to find a bug in fglrx. You find bugs in nvidia as well, but usually those do not last that long.

Comment

Usually it is not hard to find a bug in fglrx. You find bugs in nvidia as well, but usually those do not last that long.
                  At least nVidia has unofficial forum. It's hard to tell if it's just a bug or something else. Such strange slowdowns aren't something common. It looks like caching issue.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                    At least nVidia has unofficial forum.
                    So what? AMD have unofficial bugtracker, official tech. support and feedback form.

Comment

Working...
                    X