Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock ALiveNF7G-HDReady

Phoronix: ASRock ALiveNF7G-HDReady

It has been a while since we last reviewed an ASRock motherboard, but this budget manufacturer has kept churning out new and more innovative products. The ASRock motherboard we have our hands on for this Linux and Solaris review is the ALiveNF7G-HDready, which combines NVIDIA's GeForce 7050 and nForce 630a MCP with a wealth of integrated extras such as IEEE-1394a Firewire to offer a rather good package for its low price. This motherboard is also capable of handling 720p H.264 video playback with low CPU Utilization and HDCP decoding through supported software.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice to see a review of another 7050 chipset board.

Does the cpu voltage control in the bios allow undervolting?

Comment

Originally posted by DanceMan View Post
      Nice to see a review of another 7050 chipset board.

Does the cpu voltage control in the bios allow undervolting?
      Yes, it can be undervolted.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Thanks for the update. This type of board is more likely to be bought by non gamers, some of whom could be interested in keeping it running cooler and quieter. Since there's headroom to be used, you can overclock at default voltage, or undervolt at default speed, whichever makes more sense. But some boards' bios only allow overvolting.

Comment

Originally posted by DanceMan View Post
          ... could be interested in keeping it running cooler and quieter.
          full ack!
          i plan to use this board in my upcoming desktop-computer which i'd like also to use as a small web/file-server which implies that it'll run a lot so i'm interested in an energy-efficient solution to keep the costs for electricity as low as possible.

maybe someone owning this board could post how low the bios allows one to go with the vcore-voltage?

Comment

Ethernet still unsupported by most distros

The review for this motherboard failed to mention that the ethernet port won't work unless you re-compile the kernel with the latest forcedeth.c driver from NVidia (available at http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_nforce_1.23.html). I would not have bought this motherboard if I had known it was going to require so much work to get it to connect to the Internet! I tried several distros (including Kubuntu Feisty, Sidux, and Knoppix), and none of them supported the ethernet chipset out of the box.

Comment

Addendum

Additional information: the ethernet port can be made to work using the default forcedeth driver (at least in Kubuntu Feisty; will try others shortly), although the device still does not appear as /dev/eth0 and shows up as an unknown device using lspci. What I did: after making sure that the forcedeth driver was loaded and that my network settings were correct, I rebooted, and I now have internet access, although by all rights, I probably shouldn't.

Comment

It worked out of the box for connectivity with Ubuntu 7.04, Ubuntu Gutsy, and Fedora 7 during our tests.
                Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  It worked out of the box for connectivity with Ubuntu 7.04, Ubuntu Gutsy, and Fedora 7 during our tests.
                  For Ubuntu 7.04, did it show up as /dev/eth*? Even though, as I wrote above, it works, it's not obvious that it works. Could it be a problem with my particular board?

Comment

Originally posted by MLAlias View Post
                    For Ubuntu 7.04, did it show up as /dev/eth*? Even though, as I wrote above, it works, it's not obvious that it works. Could it be a problem with my particular board?

I don't remember off hand what it showed up as, other than it just working. If the board is still around here somewhere, I can check.

Did you try upgrading your BIOS perhaps?
                    Michael Larabel

Comment

Working...
                    X