Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Hat's Cockpit May Improve Server GUI Administration

Phoronix: Red Hat's Cockpit May Improve Server GUI Administration

Cockpit is a new project out of Red Hat that is a new graphical interface for handling Linux server administration needs. The Cockpit UI looks nice, is still under heavy development but is landing lots of features, and might be a nice step forward for those not wishing to administer Linux servers from the CLI...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What a waste of time, why don't they just do something useful like AIX smit and call it a day.

Comment

If this leads to the dropping of the system-config suite I welcome it with open arms..
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Qt or GTK?

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
          Qt or GTK?
          HTML5

Comment

Windows Server 2012 done right?

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
              If this leads to the dropping of the system-config suite I welcome it with open arms..
              You would note that Red Hat has slowly integrated tools into the desktop environment directly instead of maintaining distribution specific tools. There is hardly any left that are installed by default and/or maintained separatedly anymore. The only useful tool that is remaining in that list is system-config-printer.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
                HTML5
                Interesting, but I still see some C code in the repo.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                  Interesting, but I still see some C code in the repo.
                  Glue code that connects the web interface to thehe local administration tasks so that you can use the terminal to manage things as well.

Comment

I'm happy with GUI Administration as long as reuses/extends the terminal-based technology.

For instance an existing SSH pubkey setup should work out of the box, configuring https and certificates must be optional if the users preference is using the SSH protocol.

Using SSH should not force the user to manually setup a tunnel and then connect using the browser. It should be one step only (just like all the other ssh routed protocols do (rsync, X11, sftp, unison and what not).
                    Requires some clever glue to SSH, but one should really avoid having to maintain 2 remote administration protocols with authentication, encryption, authorization and what not.

Comment

Working...
                    X