Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 & Windows 8 vs. Ubuntu 13.04 & Fedora 18

Phoronix: Windows 7 & Windows 8 vs. Ubuntu 13.04 & Fedora 18

Last month Phoronix published Intel OpenGL benchmarks showing Windows 8 outperforming Ubuntu 13.04 with the latest Windows and Linux drivers from Intel. I also showed that even with the KDE and Xfce desktops rather than the default Unity/Compiz desktop to Ubuntu, Windows 8 still was faster on this Intel "Ivy Bridge" platform. The new benchmarks to share today from this Intel Ultrabook are the Windows 8 and Ubuntu 13.04 results but also with performance figures added in from Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1 x64 and Fedora 18.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Ubuntu? Games only?

Michael, I really appreciate those tests, but could you use a suckless distribution next time, which at least doesn't have an OpenGL-accelerated desktop and isn't bloated unlike Ubuntu?

And while we're at it, why not start comparing the RAM-usage or other parameters apart from Game-FPS (Disk-Space, CPU-Idle, IO)?
    I can't speak for everybody, but these things would really be interesting for me!
    Last edited by frign; 05 April 2013, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by frign View Post
      Michael, I really appreciate those tests, but could you use a suckless distribution next time, which at least doesn't have an OpenGL-accelerated desktop and isn't bloated?
      He showed KDE and XFCE tests last time and most of the results were negligible. I do think more games would be better, but he also explained why he doesn't do that either. I'm sure there's plenty of things that linux performs better in, and plenty where it's worse. Linux can't be good at everything, and neither can Windows.

Honestly, considering how low of a priority intel's open source drivers are compared to Windows, I'd say they perform pretty nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        He showed KDE and XFCE tests last time and most of the results were negligible. I do think more games would be better, but he also explained why he doesn't do that either. I'm sure there's plenty of things that linux performs better in, and plenty where it's worse. Linux can't be good at everything, and neither can Windows.

Honestly, considering how low of a priority intel's open source drivers are compared to Windows, I'd say they perform pretty nicely.
        Agreed. I edited my post to put in those other factors. I don't know why Michael is looking at games only, when there really are other things to consider, too

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          Linux can't be good at everything, and neither can Windows.
          Linux can be good at everything, because it's not developed by a single company (and this Intel driver performs very well). It would be far better with Nvidia drivers, though. Furthermore, it's so sad phoronix didn't put more tests here.

Comment

Michael, I really appreciate those tests, but could you use a suckless distribution next time, which at least doesn't have an OpenGL-accelerated desktop and isn't bloated unlike Ubuntu?

And while we're at it, why not start comparing the RAM-usage or other parameters apart from Game-FPS (Disk-Space, CPU-Idle, IO)?
            I can't speak for everybody, but these things would really be interesting for me!
            Do you know you can run the benchmarks yourself if you are really interested in those results?

Comment

... Not on Windows

Originally posted by jayrulez View Post
              Do you know you can run the benchmarks yourself if you are really interested in those results?
              But not on Windows 8, which I refuse to buy or pirate because it is proprietary software and limits my and all it's users' freedom.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                Linux can be good at everything, because it's not developed by a single company (and this Intel driver performs very well). It would be far better with Nvidia drivers, though. Furthermore, it's so sad phoronix didn't put more tests here.
                Linux (the kernel) is not good at everything because there are certain trade offs made so that it can be good at some things.

Comment

Michael, I really appreciate those tests, but could you use a suckless distribution next time, which at least doesn't have an OpenGL-accelerated desktop and isn't bloated unlike Ubuntu?[...]
                  He also showed results for fedora which does not use unity.
                  It's a pity though that ms windows is faster. :-(

Comment

But not on Windows 8, which I refuse to buy or pirate because it is proprietary software and limits my and all it's users' freedom.
                    Well more power to you dude. Stick it to those "freedom-limiting proprietary-software-supporting" corporations.

Why would you then be interested in windows 8 performance results since there is no conceivable way you'll use it?

Michael is not obligated to do it for you just because you refuse to do it.

It is not reasonable for you to make those demands or suggestions since you will be putting Michael in a position you do not want yourself to be in (that is using proprietary software that limits its users' freedom).

Comment

Working...
                    X