Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Introduces Puma Platform

Phoronix: AMD Introduces Puma Platform

Yesterday was NVIDIA's turn in the spotlight with the introduction of the GeForce 9 Mobile GPUs and Hybrid SLI. Today the attention turns to AMD with their new announcements coming out of Computex...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does Crossfire work under Linux yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Noneus View Post
      Does Crossfire work under Linux yet?
      No, not yet...
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        No, not yet...
        Heh... Somehow...I'm not at all surprised.

Comment

I really think these new CrossfireX or Hybrid SLI is the way to go. Being able to put the most powerhungry thing in a PC to sleep is nice. But since Linux has no Crossfire support I'd go with NVidia...

Comment

But since Linux has no Crossfire support I'd go with NVidia...
            That's not to say though it won't happen in the future.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Are there even any known plans to implement crossfire support to linux? I really like what AMD did in open source things recently. But without crossfire support I'd rather buy a Hybird-SLI solution.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                That's not to say though it won't happen in the future.
                what might happen in the future is useless.. just look at the track record for for ati..

though, the things seems to be turning around (despite the closed driver still being bad compared to nvidia..)

Comment

I really think these new CrossfireX or Hybrid SLI is the way to go. Being able to put the most powerhungry thing in a PC to sleep is nice. But since Linux has no Crossfire support I'd go with NVidia...
                  I would like to add that Hybridpower (the nvidia feature that turns the dedicated graphics card off when not needing powerfull 3D) is only supported under Vista (not even XP!).
                  So it doesn't matter which brand you take, both don't support the dedicated graphics card poweroff feature under Linux.

Comment

One small question:

I remember hearing till now that the hybrid graphics mode will work only when a supported card is used, and that both cards work in a way similar to standard crossfire. But about this power off feature: is it available on other cards as well ? I mean, lets say I get a 780G motherboard and a HD4850. Would the driver still work and turn off the HD4850 when its not needed or will it only happen with a supported HD34xx, HD35xx or HD46xx card ?

Edit: One more question:

I remember reading about the 780G mobile version on AMD website. I think this along with a low power processor like Athlon X2 4850e would make an excellent budget mobile platform. Or, paired with a mobile triple core phenom it can easily give the non overclockable intel mid range laptops a run for their money. Aren't such things done yet ?
                    Last edited by MetalheadGautham; 26 July 2008, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X