AMD Catalyst 9.1 Brings OpenGL 3.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vadi View Post
    Another one gets a kernel panic when he restarts the xserver.
    yep ... release worthy material indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by NSLW View Post
      Guys from ATI did hard work. I'm impressed because now they have caught up with nvidia providing OpenGL 3.0 support.

btw. Has anyone tried to install it on Fedora 10?
      I did. it doesn't work, at least with my 4850.

Comment

Originally posted by h3xis View Post
        Well, this seems to be the first fglrx release that is giving me trouble. It's failing to install and gives me this via dmesg:

fglrx: Unknown symbol pci_disable_msi
        fglrx: Unknown symbol pci_enable_msi

I'm running 2.6.28.2. Does this even support 2.6.28?
        You must enable in your kernel configuration MSI / MSI-X support. It is located as Bus options (PCI etc.) / Message Signaled Interrupts.

Then recompile, install kernel and modules again. Then recompile fglrx against this new kernel configuration and install the module. Reboot the new kernel.

Comment

GPU: 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc M26 [Radeon Mobility X700 XL (PCIE)]

It installs fine using this script
          chmod +x ati-driver-installer-*.run
          # ./ati-driver-installer-*.run --listpkg
          ./ati-driver-installer-*-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Ubuntu/intrepid
          dpkg -i fglrx-kernel-source_*.deb
          dpkg -i fglrx-amdcccle_*.deb
          dpkg -i fglrx-modaliases_*.deb
          dpkg -i libamdxvba1_*.deb
          dpkg -i xorg-driver-fglrx_*.deb
          rm -R *fglrx*
          rm *amd*
          The Good: Works just fine. No problems.
          The Bad: Nothing yet.
          The Ugly: I got this ugly watermark now saying "AMD Unsupported hardware" and I can't get rid of it! It's driving me nuts! I tried to solve it by replacing /etc/ati/control and /etc/ati/signature with the new, correct versions (using --extract on the installer) but no go. I really need to get rid of it. Any suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by maligor View Post
            Only trying to create a OpenGL 3.0 context segfaults. (The program, not X)

Using the sample from: http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boa...&Number=247818
            Same here...
            When I change the requested version to 2.1 instead of 3.0 it works perfectly.

Comment

Originally posted by Heiko View Post
              Same here...
              When I change the requested version to 2.1 instead of 3.0 it works perfectly.
              Very same here, too!

But, this is strange too:
              Code:
              dodo@2nd-of-12:~/Desktop/tmp$ fglrxinfo
              display: :0.0  screen: 0
              OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
              OpenGL renderer string: ATI Mobility Radeon X1600
              OpenGL version string: 2.1.8395 Release
              fglrxinfo doesn't report OpenGL 3.0 at all! I'm sure I have installed catalyst 9.1.
              Is OpenGL 3.0 something that has to be installed separately? I'm currently using the default Ubuntu 8.10 installation.

EDIT: I've also tested playing video while having desktop effects turned on. It doesn't tear, but it's slow, very slow. Especially slow while playing HD video (less than 10 FPS).
              Last edited by DoDoENT; 30 January 2009, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DoDoENT View Post
                Very same here, too!

But, this is strange too:
                Code:
                dodo@2nd-of-12:~/Desktop/tmp$ fglrxinfo
                display: :0.0  screen: 0
                OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
                OpenGL renderer string: ATI Mobility Radeon X1600
                OpenGL version string: 2.1.8395 Release
                fglrxinfo doesn't report OpenGL 3.0 at all! I'm sure I have installed catalyst 9.1.
                That was the first thing I checked after installing and I noticed the same as well. Strange. But as far as I know all extensions that are necessary for OpenGL 3.0 are in place. It just looks like it is impossible on Linux to create an OpenGL 3.0 context (whether it is forward compatible or not).

Is OpenGL 3.0 something that has to be installed separately? I'm currently using the default Ubuntu 8.10 installation.
                Well... I always install with the `buildpkg Ubuntu/hardy' option and after that manually installing the packages. I installed all of them, even the ones that are supposed to be for devs (no clue what they actually are, maybe some debug symbols?).

The example program crashes on the `glXCreateContextAttribsARB' function call if the requested version is 3.0, it runs fine when the requested version is 2.1.

The example program passes the `glXCreateContextAttribsARB' function call if the `direct rendering' option is changed from true to false (still requesting a 3.0 version). But in that case the `glXMakeCurrent' function call throws a bad match. Which should only happen if different X screens and visuals are used to initialize the parameters for glXMakeCurrent (which is not the case). I also followed the suggestion that is found beneath the example code (see: http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boa...154#Post248154).

Comment

The reason why glxinfo only shows OpenGL 2.1 information, is that to obtain the version and extension info in OpenGL you call:

glGetString(GL_VERSION);
                  glGetString(GL_EXTENSIONS);

I assume that is what glxinfo does, BUT that only retrieves the extensions supported by the current context. glxinfo doesn't create an OpenGL 3.0 context, so instead it displays the info from an OpenGL 2.0 one.

Has anyone tried this driver on Ubuntu Jaunty yet?

Luke

P.S. Also, in OpenGL 3.0 the correct way to obtain the extensions is using glGetStringi(GL_EXTENSIONS, i), the glGetString version is deprecated.

Comment

I must say I haven't found any problems with these drivers. I use a bog standard xorg.conf and previous month I removed /etc/ati/amdpcsdb after a dist upgrade.

Impressions
                    - Suspend still works fine (always did)
                    - Mobility x300 (r300 card) supported

Haven't tried composite, was unstable with the 8.12 drivers and uses to much CPU. I use OpenSuSE 11.1

Keep up the good work, Ati

Comment

• Please help

Reading Your posts I know that You can run the newest ATI Catalyst 9.1 driver on Kubuntu 8.10.

Maybe it's stupid question but I want to ask You for a help in installing it - it doesn't work on my Kubuntu 8.10, on Mobility Radeon 9700 and 2.6.27-11-generic kernel.

Can You tell me how to install this driver or give a link to some tutorial?

Basically what I was doing was standard install ATI way - ./ati-driver-installer-9-1-x86.x86_64.run , checking if fglrx is present in XORG.conf and restarting. System was booting normally and when KDM should start it back to the console login.

What I was doing wrong? Do I have to instal old version of X.ORG? DO I have to use some other options during install?

Please give me at least a clue why it doesn't work for me.

Comment

Working...
                      X