Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GCC 4.7.3 Released With 118+ Bug-Fixes

Phoronix: GCC 4.7.3 Released With 118+ Bug-Fixes

For those using the proven and tested GCC 4.7 compiler series rather than the brand new GCC 4.8, there is now GCC 4.7.3 with over one hundred bug-fixes over the previous release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is there some human-readable chhangelog wrt to 4.7.2 ?

I could never understand that page at:

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2013-04/msg00121.html

Where are those 118 bugs in there ?

Comment

I probably should have gone for that. I just upgraded my toolchain last night and went with gcc 4.8.0 (was previously using gcc 4.5.2). Everything seems fine so far, but you never know until you go to compile something old, or finicky, or slightly incorrect.

I like when projects keep maintaining the previous versions for a while.

The most awful compiler switch was from gcc 2.95 (EGCS ) to gcc 3.x when they made major changes (both source and binary incompatible in some cases). Once refined a bit, those changes seem to have been a bit future proof, because there hasn't been such a hardship since.

Comment

Originally posted by Brane215 View Post
        Is there some human-readable chhangelog wrt to 4.7.2 ?

I could never understand that page at:

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2013-04/msg00121.html

Where are those 118 bugs in there ?
        nice one It looks even better than AMD changelog if You look just at that

anyway info wasn't all that hard to find

This link is present at the ver bottom GCC 4.7 Chnages page

Comment

Originally posted by Grogan View Post
          I probably should have gone for that. I just upgraded my toolchain last night and went with gcc 4.8.0 (was previously using gcc 4.5.2). Everything seems fine so far, but you never know until you go to compile something old, or finicky, or slightly incorrect.

I like when projects keep maintaining the previous versions for a while.

The most awful compiler switch was from gcc 2.95 (EGCS ) to gcc 3.x when they made major changes (both source and binary incompatible in some cases). Once refined a bit, those changes seem to have been a bit future proof, because there hasn't been such a hardship since.
          Ditto, nice how they do it much in the same fashion as the kernel devs where you can roll back if you do have some oddball issues which generally crop up when compiling some real old or esoteric code. Imagine trying to compile an ancient Linux kernel like the 1.x series with the newest GCC just for fun and giggles =)

Comment

@ryszardzonk:

Thanks. That page is so looong that I never even tried to fight my way through the end. Since beginning it is all about 4.7 in general, it never crossed my mind to try to find anything specific at the bottom.

I managed to rework ebuild from version 4.7.2 on Gentoo to 4.7.3 and filter and repatch patches for it to work for 4.7.3.

It is being compiled right now. If it succeeds, I'l post it on bugs.gentoo.org...
            Last edited by Brane215; 11 April 2013, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Hmm. Just as I thought, not many of those bugfixes were about -flto linking. gcc-4.7.3 has about the same success rate with -flto as did 4.7.2.

Not worth recompiling whole system with it, but welcome refresh for new packages IMO...

Comment

Working...
              X