Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phoronix Test Suite 1.6.0 "Tydal" Alpha 3

Phoronix: Phoronix Test Suite 1.6.0 "Tydal" Alpha 3

It's time for another new development release of the Phoronix Test Suite. We're announcing the availability of Phoronix Test Suite 1.6 "Tydal" Alpha 3...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

i'm impressed to read sth. about opencl that fast! could get really cool

anyway, what i'm waiting for is a clean gui. it is the most interesting part for me, i don't need the "other special professional" features.
    additionally, the pts-site really needs to get "pimped". it's difficult to compare several results; a "hint/tip" to other system with the same or nearly same performance/same system components could be really useful, e.g. you want to compare how the same system performed with another gpu/cpu or a gig more of ram etc. on the right site. (you got the idea, didn't you?).
    however, great release

Comment

Originally posted by Regenwald View Post
      anyway, what i'm waiting for is a clean gui. it is the most interesting part for me, i don't need the "other special professional" features.
      additionally, the pts-site really needs to get "pimped". it's difficult to compare several results; a "hint/tip" to other system with the same or nearly same performance/same system components could be really useful, e.g. you want to compare how the same system performed with another gpu/cpu or a gig more of ram etc. on the right site. (you got the idea, didn't you?).
      If not before, you should be blown away by the Phoronix Test Suite 2.0 release with Phoronix Global and OpenBenchmarking.org
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I see you dropped the bonnie test. Good plan, since as I pointed out on your ext4 benchmark results, it wasn't testing what you wanted to test.

Do you want any advice about how to use bonnie++ to do useful tests? e.g. generating some multi-threaded workloads with it's semaphore that lets multiple bonnie++ processes stay in sync... email me if you want my help. I've used bonnie++ for a few different sorts of tests.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          If not before, you should be blown away by the Phoronix Test Suite 2.0 release with Phoronix Global and OpenBenchmarking.org
          well sounds good
          do you already have a roadmap for pts 2.0? 2. quarter?
          at the moment, openbenchmarking.org links to pts
          btw. is there any progress concering the lisog "process"? (german, http://www.lisog.org/). i'm remembering that you once wrote on their public (not anymore :/) mailing list. but kind find it ad hoc..

Comment

do you already have a roadmap for pts 2.0? 2. quarter?
            Yes, Phoronix Test Suite 2.0 is already well into planning. In fact, a number of the underlying changes in this forthcoming 1.6 release were made in preparations for 2.0. There will be a Phoronix Test Suite 1.8 release still before that. The 2.0 release is tentatively planned for September of 2009.

What I will share right now are a few thoughts... If you have say 50+ test systems you use for monitoring regressions and you run phoronix-test-suite on a cron job, it can be daunting to schedule all of the different tests, add in new tests, make testing changes, view the results collectively, etc... It's just a pain to manage multiple test systems easily and for that kind of stuff, a user-interface is easier IMO. Or even if you're not a company, what happens if you want to "donate" some of your computing time when not in use to say a free software project so that they can better track the performance of their software? Isn't Phoronix Global sort of a one-way service right now? What else could the Phoronix Test Suite pick up to be more versatile?

Those questions to be answered soon enough

btw. is there any progress concering the lisog "process"? (german, http://www.lisog.org/). i'm remembering that you once wrote on their public (not anymore :/) mailing list. but kind find it ad hoc..
            The LiSoG is using The Linux Desktop Project for automating some of their application testing. However, I am still actively in contact with them and at last report they're looking at possibly using the Phoronix Test Suite to "glue" everything together and for collecting the results, etc.
            Michael Larabel

Comment

When running phoronix-test-suite install-all,two of the links to download src bits are wrong, so.

Got two 'fixes' for this release. The links to download fftw and mpich2 are wrong.
              For fftw it should be:
              ftp://ftp.fftw.org/pub/fftw/old/fftw-3.1.2.tar.gz
              Change the pts/test-resources/md-gromacs/downloads.xml file

and for mpich2 it should be:

Need to change both these files:
              pts/test-resources/md-gromacs/downloads.xml
              pts/test-resources/mrbayes/downloads.xml

- running on opensolaris 2008.11

Comment

Originally posted by smg500 View Post
                When running phoronix-test-suite install-all,two of the links to download src bits are wrong, so.

Got two 'fixes' for this release. The links to download fftw and mpich2 are wrong.
                For fftw it should be:
                ftp://ftp.fftw.org/pub/fftw/old/fftw-3.1.2.tar.gz
                Change the pts/test-resources/md-gromacs/downloads.xml file

and for mpich2 it should be:

Need to change both these files:
                pts/test-resources/md-gromacs/downloads.xml
                pts/test-resources/mrbayes/downloads.xml

- running on opensolaris 2008.11

Now fixed in Git master for PTS 1.6.0 Tydal Beta 1, thanks.
                Michael Larabel

Comment

Working...
                X