Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waffle 1.1 Gets EGL + GBM, Android Toppings

Phoronix: Waffle 1.1 Gets EGL + GBM, Android Toppings

Chad Versace of Intel released Waffle 1.1.0 on Monday, which is a cross-platform library for deferring selection of the OpenGL API and windowing system until run-time. Waffle makes it easy to switch between X11 with GLX or EGL, Wayland with OpenGL ES 2.0, and other windowing / GL API options...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wayland 0.99 has also been released.

Final release on October 22nd.

Comment

Waffle is a great idea. It's purpose is to replace stuff like GLX/WGL/CGL and the initialization parts of GLUT, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
        Waffle is a great idea. It's purpose is to replace stuff like GLX/WGL/CGL and the initialization parts of GLUT, right?
        From what I understand, it's an abstraction layer that lets you write code which can easily run on GLX, WGL, CGL, EGL, etc without having to write code specific to one of those types. If it takes off, it should ease cross-platform porting + compatibility.

Comment

Exactly. The first project to seriously use Waffle is Piglit, where it replacs GLUT as the platform abstraction layer. GLUT had some significant shortcomings, such as no support for GL core contexts and no support for Wayland, which Waffle now solves. Some people have also expressed a desire for Cairo to use it once it gains a few more features.

In the future, I and some other Intel devs hope for Waffle to replace GLEW too. If those plans come to fruition, then its extension resolution will also support the OpenGL ES APIs.

Comment

Originally posted by chadversary View Post
            Exactly. The first project to seriously use Waffle is Piglit, where it replacs GLUT as the platform abstraction layer. GLUT had some significant shortcomings, such as no support for GL core contexts and no support for Wayland, which Waffle now solves. Some people have also expressed a desire for Cairo to use it once it gains a few more features.

In the future, I and some other Intel devs hope for Waffle to replace GLEW too. If those plans come to fruition, then its extension resolution will also support the OpenGL ES APIs.
            I'm just trying Waffle out via the two introductory tutorials you have on the site! But I'm wondering whether Waffle replaces GLEW at this time, or if I need to use them side-by-side?

Comment

I'm just trying Waffle out via the two introductory tutorials you have on the site! But I'm wondering whether Waffle replaces GLEW at this time, or if I need to use them side-by-side?
              Waffle cannot replace GLEW yet. I and some other devs had plans to do that, but we haven't yet found the time.

If you need a better GLEW, I suggest contacting Eric Anholt <[email protected]>. He is creating a promising replacement for GLEW that should work with OpenGL core profiles as well as OpenGL ES.

Comment

Originally posted by chadversary View Post
                Waffle cannot replace GLEW yet. I and some other devs had plans to do that, but we haven't yet found the time.

If you need a better GLEW, I suggest contacting Eric Anholt <[email protected]>. He is creating a promising replacement for GLEW that should work with OpenGL core profiles as well as OpenGL ES.
                I'm actually not sure I need a better glew, I haven't really discovered it's weak points yet. Except that Vim completely grinds to a halt when I include the glew.h, and exuberant tags tracks all the symbols...

Comment

Working...
                X