Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 3.10 Kernel Yields Biggest Changes In Years

Phoronix: Linux 3.10 Kernel Yields Biggest Changes In Years

The Linux 3.10 kernel is going to be massive with the just-released "-rc1" version being the biggest in the last several years (or perhaps ever), according to Linus Torvalds. This massive change-rate is based at least according to commit count and potentially actual lines too...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael, can you start linking your sources separately from your own articles at the top or bottom of the page in a wiki-style fasion? The problem I'm having is when I want to read the source news article, I have to hover the mouse over each individual link to find it. The majority of the time, I don't want to read your previous articles, I just want to read the source material.
    Last edited by Vax456; 12 May 2013, 01:48 AM.

Comment

Hmm, looking at it, 3.10 indeed looks quite beefy. Not something I need to upgrade to as soon as it comes out, but still good to have down the road.

Well, maybe it would be worth it for my HTPC for the radeon UVD support. Did they fix the issues with R700 microcode?

Comment

Just call it 4

If it's such a big change, why don't they just call it 4.0? Two-digit release numbers like 3.10 are clumsy, it looks the same as 3.1.

Comment

One feature is missing. A pop-up that would warn "Stay away from AMD hardware!". That would teach the f%##s.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucic View Post
            One feature is missing. A pop-up that would warn "Stay away from AMD hardware!". That would teach the f%##s.
            That pop-up should warn the intel users that the scheduler does not work well with hyperthreaded cores.
            That means that there are heavy threaded applications assigned to virtual cores which makes the cpu running 24/7 on turbo mode, thus making the cpu a fryer.

My 4c/8t intel suffers less heat on win7 with debian or kali or backtrack in a virtual machine.

Comment

is there a regression on the radeon drivers? Or do you just hate around with no reason?

I mean there is a ground-breaking new feature for radeon, uvd support, I will get this kernel soon on all my machines if possible, because it should make each zacate to the perfect htpc and despite better powermanagement-features that does primary matter to dedicated graphics cards the radeon drivers is now nearly at the feature state then the intel driver is.

So 99% of all people would want to add a warning to buy nvidia hardware, and even linus would agree to that, (fuck you nvidia), so again is there a regression I did not get, does uvd crash your pc or what did I miss?

Comment

If there was a warning to avoid some hardware, then it would be Imagination Technologies only.

Comment

And 3.6 - 3.8 should have had a pop up to stay away from intel hardware? https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=55984

What do you want to say? The only thing you should use on linux is proprietary nvidia software?

3.10 enables s3tc on radeonsi "officially", by the way. Source games still won't run ("Warning: SI unhandled output type:14"), but some other games like xonotic will run much better.

Comment

I have an AMD CPU and it works just fine with Linux.

Comment

Working...
                    X