Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

State of wine gaming with recent ati cards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
    Be prepared for disappointment. I recently purchased a HD 5750 thinking I could play some wine games with it using the proprietary driver until the open source driver matures. Boy, was I wrong. Games such as F.E.A.R and Half-Life 2 that run perfectly fine with my HD 3200 all crash on my HD 5750.

Code:
    Unhandled exception: page fault on read access to 0x00000014 in 32-bit code (0x208bf2a6).

Backtrace:
    =>0 0x208bf2a6 in fglrx_dri.so (+0x8a52a6) (0x00000000)
    0x208bf2a6: movl	0x14(%edx),%eax
    Same driver, same OS, same game settings, everything being the same except the card being used. What a shame such a beautiful card ruined by a terrible driver. It is that I do care about the work going on on the open source driver otherwise I would have gone with NVidia.
    Heh, interesting. I'm running FEAR in Wine (with fbo) on an Intel G45. Mesa beating fglrx, that's pretty cool

Comment

Originally posted by StringCheesian View Post
      Please please please post more about how well wine games are working with that 'backbuffer' workaround. You are now experiencing almost exactly what ergo was asking about. I'm curious too.
      It resolved my crashes in F.E.A.R, Half-Life 2 and Oblivion. Bioshock also works here. But with wine it's always a hit or miss especially if you aren't using the proprietary NVidia driver. So I can't tell anything about other titles which I haven't tried really.

Comment

Originally posted by whizse View Post
        Heh, interesting. I'm running FEAR in Wine (with fbo) on an Intel G45. Mesa beating fglrx, that's pretty cool
        Well to be precise F.E.A.R. runs fine with fbo's on my HD 3200, just not on my HD 5750. Probably different code paths in the driver.

And I doubt your Intel IGP can beat my HD 3200 IGP

EDIT: It's nice to know that Mesa can run F.E.A.R. I haven't had success with the R600 driver and F.E.A.R yet.
        Last edited by monraaf; 20 January 2010, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Yeah, let's not even joke about comparing the two

I'm also wating for the r600 driver to mature, but for the moment I'll take slow and stable over fast and crashy.

Comment

I tried to play Tomb Raider chronicles yesterday with wine on my radeonhd 3200. I use 64 bit fedora 12. It did not crash but it was damn slow. Is there a feature missing in the free drivers?
            I don't want to test fglrx (it's not so easy on fedora and actually really I don't want to).

Comment

im former Geforce 8800 user

few days ago i bought ati, gigabyte radeon 5770 1GB

havent tested much but those game i have tryed i dont have any issues

some of those games i play: World Of Warcraft, Warhammer Online, Call Of Duty 4, Torchlicht

those i have tested and they run as good as with my old card or even better.

seems ati has made some improvememnts on their drivers. last time i tryed was 1 year ago and barely nothing worked with wine.

Comment

Working...
              X