Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russia To Replace AMD/Intel CPUs With 64-bit ARM Hardware

Phoronix: Russia To Replace AMD/Intel CPUs With 64-bit ARM Hardware

I heard a few days ago when getting into Russia from a contact that the Kremlin was looking to get rid of AMD and Intel CPUs on the basis that they're manufactured in the United States. That information has now been publicly announced and it appears they want to replace the AMD/Intel hardware with 64-bit ARM designs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

*pic unrelated

Comment

Originally posted by BubuXP View Post
      *pic unrelated
      Looks related to me, although a bit confusing with water instead of beer in a phoronix article.

Comment

Obligatory movie quote: "American components, Russian components... all made in Taiwan!!!"

To be fair both Intel and AMD have global foundries through partners, but yeah I get the political angle. Moreover, most things are probably cheaper to make overseas.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          Phoronix: Russia To Replace AMD/Intel CPUs With 64-bit ARM Hardware
          Sure they will, just like they were planning to migrate away from Windows a few years ago.

Anti-American rhetoric, that's all it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Silverthorn View Post
            Looks related to me, although a bit confusing with water instead of beer in a phoronix article.
            Not many good beers in Russia, but will drink a few local ones once in a while, mostly just cognac and vodka... And water the rest of the time.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Silverthorn View Post
              You can expect there to see more водка then пиво .

Comment

For strict security enthusiasts believing AMD and Intel have been compromised by the NSA or other US agencies, it's time to celebrate.
                Yeah, now there will be hardware compromised by ФСБ. I would better use NSA compromised hardware than the one compromised by Russia and it's because I live in Russia.

Comment

Oh look 64 bit! Looks like somebody is making sure they have updated equipment. Too bad it is the Russian government.

Comment

Originally posted by cookieninja View Post
                    Sure they will, just like they were planning to migrate away from Windows a few years ago.

Anti-American rhetoric, that's all it is.
                    There really are some Russian-designed processors, e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elbrus_2000
                    It is not very fast but it's enough for some embedded applications in military.

Comment

Working...
                    X