Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot-Data Tracking Still Baking For The Linux Kernel

Phoronix: Hot-Data Tracking Still Baking For The Linux Kernel

A few months ago I wrote about hot-data tracking for the Linux kernel, a VFS feature that could be used by Btrfs and other Linux file-systems for delivering improved performance. Unfortunately the patch-set didn't make the new Linux 3.8 development cycle, but hot-data tracking is still being worked on for merging into a future Linux kernel release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

ZFS already does this through the ARC algorithm.

Comment

Originally posted by ryao View Post
      Which means Linux should have it by the year 2050.

Shortly after it's integrated into Windows 27.

Comment

And ZFS lacks support for device removal from pool, defragmentation (in a FS that fragments files by design) and raid level migration...

Both file systems are far from "complete".

Comment

No it doesn?t, the ARC keeps a copy of the hottest blocks, they also reside in their original location. A better solution would
          migrate the blocks to faster/slower storage depending on usage pattern, which also means that it would be persistent across
          reboot which the ZFS ARC is not. Also the ARC only does read caching, with a true tiering solution, even writes are faster if they
          get migrated to a lower storage tier.
          Hopefully the Linux VFS implementation will make it possible to achive this functionality.
          Last edited by LasseKongo; 23 December 2012, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LasseKongo View Post
            No it doesn?t, the ARC keeps a copy of the hottest blocks, they also reside in their original location. A better solution would
            migrate the blocks to faster/slower storage depending on usage pattern, which also means that it would be persistent across
            reboot which the ZFS ARC is not. Also the ARC only does read caching, with a true tiering solution, even writes are faster if they
            get migrated to a lower storage tier.
            Hopefully the Linux VFS implementation will make it possible to achive this functionality.
            Try out L2ARC. It is a cache on faster storage. Migrating things (like Apple's Fusion drive) is bad for performance because it requires additional IOs. Having a copy somewhere faster does not have such a penalty. There is no reason that ARC could not be used in either scenario, but moving data around does not make sense when you can just cache it.
            Last edited by ryao; 23 December 2012, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Try out L2ARC. It is a cache on faster storage. Migrating things (like Apple's Fusion drive) is bad for performance because it requires additional IOs. Having a copy somewhere faster does not have such a penalty. There is no reason that ARC could not be used in either scenario, but moving data around does not make sense when you can just cache it.
              I am using L2ARC for caching 2 RAID-Z devices in my ZFS box, and yes, read operations will benefit if they are in the cache. There are a couple of downsides as I see it:

* After a clean boot the L2ARC is invalid, and depending on your setup it can take some time to warm up with new data.
              * Just like with ZFS dedup there is a table keeping track of which blocks that are located on the L2ARC, I believe it is 320 bytes / block as with dedup tables. If you have a large L2ARC this consumes a lot of memory. If you have a 100GB L2ARC with 8K blocks this table consumes 4GB om RAM. In FreeBSD the default setting is to allow 25% of main memory to ZFS metadata, which mean I would need 16GB in the system to keep the table in memory.
              * Writes still go to the slow disks first, and is then eventually copied to the L2ARC for caching. A ZIL can speed up metadata operations, but not data.

The data migration can be a scheduled job, it doesn?t have to be in real time, or it can be done on idle I/O cycles.

It will certainly be interesting to see how the BTRFS guys is going to use this. I heard the RAID5/6 patches are going to be included in 3.8 which would clear another obstacle for adoptation for me. I will stick with ZFS for the time being, but I think BTRFS will be really good in maybe a years time. Just the fact that I cannot add or remove disks to the vdevs, or even remove an entire vdev i ZFS is starting to piss me off.

Comment

super fantastic awesome brah

Comment

Originally posted by LasseKongo View Post
                  I am using L2ARC for caching 2 RAID-Z devices in my ZFS box, and yes, read operations will benefit if they are in the cache. There are a couple of downsides as I see it:

* After a clean boot the L2ARC is invalid, and depending on your setup it can take some time to warm up with new data.
                  * Just like with ZFS dedup there is a table keeping track of which blocks that are located on the L2ARC, I believe it is 320 bytes / block as with dedup tables. If you have a large L2ARC this consumes a lot of memory. If you have a 100GB L2ARC with 8K blocks this table consumes 4GB om RAM. In FreeBSD the default setting is to allow 25% of main memory to ZFS metadata, which mean I would need 16GB in the system to keep the table in memory.
                  * Writes still go to the slow disks first, and is then eventually copied to the L2ARC for caching. A ZIL can speed up metadata operations, but not data.

The data migration can be a scheduled job, it doesn?t have to be in real time, or it can be done on idle I/O cycles.

It will certainly be interesting to see how the BTRFS guys is going to use this. I heard the RAID5/6 patches are going to be included in 3.8 which would clear another obstacle for adoptation for me. I will stick with ZFS for the time being, but I think BTRFS will be really good in maybe a years time. Just the fact that I cannot add or remove disks to the vdevs, or even remove an entire vdev i ZFS is starting to piss me off.
                  You certainly are familiar with ZFS. However, you are wrong about ZIL only speeding up metadata operations. It applies to data as well, although only for small synchronous writes. You also always have a ZIL (unless you set sync=always on your datasets and zvols). You can make it external to your normal vdevs by using a SLOG device. As for L2ARC, it should work very well for those that do not reboot frequently. People have discussed making it persistent across reboots for a while, although the fact that the hottest data remains cached in RAM limits the usefulness of doing that. In theory, hibernation could be used instead of reboots, although I have yet to test that with swap on a ZFS zvol.

Anyway, you are correct about the memory requirements of the L2ARC map. That is not much of a problem if you have a sufficiently large amount of memory to hold the L2ARC map in the memory ZFS has for metadata. It might be best to consider it separately from other metadata to eliminate the cannibalization of cache space. Avoiding a situation where the hottest metadata is forced to the L2ARC by virtue of the L2ARC map being large is definitely something that could be achieved by doing that.

By the way, I don't know what you mean by "add or remove disks to vdevs". You can certainly take disks away, although doing that leaves the vdevs in a degraded state until you replace them.
                  Last edited by ryao; 24 December 2012, 02:30 PM.

Comment

You certainly are familiar with ZFS. However, you are wrong about ZIL only speeding up metadata operations. It applies to data as well, although only for small synchronous writes.
                    You learn new stuff every day I played around with a Sun Unified Storage (horrible piece of crap by the way) about 3 years ago which had both a large L2ARC SSD and 2 x 18GB ZIL SSDs, since the ZIL disk were so small I assumed they were not used for caching data.

Anyway, you are correct about the memory requirements of the L2ARC map. That is not much of a problem if you have a sufficiently large amount of memory to hold the L2ARC map in the memory ZFS has for metadata. It might be best to consider it separately from other metadata to eliminate the cannibalization of cache space. Avoiding a situation where the hottest metadata is forced to the L2ARC by virtue of the L2ARC map being large is definitely something that could be achieved by doing that.
                    I?m sitting right now with a 12TB pool with some deduped data that crashed because I had to little memory for the dedup tables, it has been trying to recover for last 8 days now, so memory is really critical when working with ZFS. Will abort it tomorrow and put in a new motherboard with 4 x the amount of memory and see if it helps.

By the way, I don't know what you mean by "add or remove disks to vdevs". You can certainly take disks away, although doing that leaves the vdevs in a degraded state until you replace them.
                    I mean it is not possible to expand or shrink a vdev by adding and removing disks (except replacing all disks with larger disks by failing and replacing them one at at a time), which would mean re-balancing the blocks to keep the desired redundancy. Neither is it possible to remove a whole vdev from a pool without destroying the pool and recreating it with fewer disks. The former ZFS developers mentioned the "block pointer rewrite" feature back in 2009 which would be able to do this among other cool stuff like "re-dedup" & "re-compress" existing data. I have not heard anything about it in a while.

Here I believe BTRFS has a major advantage, it is very easy expand/reduce the filesystem online by adding/removing disks, and BTRFS transparently handles the rebalancing of the blocks to keep the desired redundancy level. This also makes it possible to change RAID level on the fly. I have played with it on an experimental level and it works well from what I can see, but we will need support for RAID5/6 as well before I?m happy. It also has online defragmentation which tends to be useful for COW filesystems that fragments data more than a regular *NIX filesystem.
                    It feels like BTRFS was designed from the beginning to allow these kinds of online restructuring of the filesystem.

Comment

Working...
                    X