Few notes about Carmack's keynote at QuakeCon 2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
    yea but you think 95% of the people who play it give a damn if its freedom software? I certainly don't. That said, I strongly advocate free software but like the rest of the free world I have the freedom to use non-free software and often times exercise that right.

Open arena is crap anyways. I offered my services to them but they seem too stuck up to actually make a game worth playing. Not saying im a great artist but anything is better then the garbage they have right now.
    Yeah, true. I myself dont care too much about that either. I was answering the question that there could be a Free-like "OpenTerritory" for ET if the source code is indeed released. True, there's a big debate over at the FOSS camps, whether choosing to use non-free software should be a freedom too. But that's what the BSD license is for.

Well, that's somewhat of a subjective opinion about OpenArena. It's lacks polish, and leielol is, well, a pain to work with, but its fun to play ocassionally. What do you think if nexuiz?

Comment

it isnt bad. I have had some good hours on it.

Comment

Nexuiz is a great engine, pretty decent models, pretty nice maps. Just wish people out there would make mods for it. I would love to see a "Nexuiz Fortress", or Nexuiz-Strike Back on the original quake (from which nexuiz is a major update to), we saw lots and lots of mods. Some of those mods (ctf, teamfortress) that became a staple in FPS gaming that we know it. Where have all the modders gone? //sorry if this was all kinda off topic.

Comment

Originally posted by RabidWeezle View Post
          Nexuiz is a great engine, pretty decent models, pretty nice maps. Just wish people out there would make mods for it. I would love to see a "Nexuiz Fortress", or Nexuiz-Strike Back on the original quake (from which nexuiz is a major update to), we saw lots and lots of mods. Some of those mods (ctf, teamfortress) that became a staple in FPS gaming that we know it. Where have all the modders gone? //sorry if this was all kinda off topic.
          Well, interest in modding decreased a little when quake2 was released, apparently it wasnt as attractive to modders as quake1 was. Although there were some very important mods for it, like action q2, then q3 came along and it was mostly about trasfering all those q1 mods to it, like 3wave, q3f, and so forth. I suppose it's just more difficult to make mods for todays games. It's just a very big amount of work.

Comment

Originally posted by xav1r View Post
            Well, interest in modding decreased a little when quake2 was released, apparently it wasnt as attractive to modders as quake1 was. Although there were some very important mods for it, like action q2, then q3 came along and it was mostly about trasfering all those q1 mods to it, like 3wave, q3f, and so forth. I suppose it's just more difficult to make mods for todays games. It's just a very big amount of work.
            Carmack made a note of that in answer to a question about Rage. He mentioned that the game is not intended for modders predominately because it would simply require too much work. He didn't say it wasn't possible, just that with the amount of effort required to make the maps & other things, modding will likely not occur and so they're not aiming for it with that particular game.

Comment

Which has one big problem: if it's "that" complicate it's not good neither for pros. KISS rules... no matter where. Make it complicate and it's with high likelihood a failure in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by RabidWeezle View Post
                Where have all the modders gone?
                HL2

either that or they got jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
                  Which has one big problem: if it's "that" complicate it's not good neither for pros. KISS rules... no matter where. Make it complicate and it's with high likelihood a failure in the long run.
                  He didn't say complicated - just that it required a lot of work! That basically means people need to do it as a job, not as a hobby thing.

Comment

Originally posted by mirv View Post
                    He didn't say complicated - just that it required a lot of work! That basically means people need to do it as a job, not as a hobby thing.
                    Well, you know, back on the quake 1 modding days, it took modders' cutting edge pentium pro computers days to compile a q1 .bsp. It might be hard, long work now, but those who really want to do it have the needed hardware and skills to pull it off.

Comment

the teams can be very large and thats not always a good thing. I can tell you ETQW maps, done right, takes somone with no life and an expresso machine.

Comment

Working...
                      X