No announcement yet.

List of Linux friendly Kickstarter projects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No mention of linux support on any of their pages that I could find, so I won't support it. I'm not having a go at the poster here - I appreciate that the video may well say that linux is already working (couldn't be bothered checking - sorry), but these days, I'm only interested in supporting a cause that promotes Linux, and far less interested about just getting a game that works on linux.

I wonder why they're shouting about "Mac, PC, Mobile iOS & Android!" but won't mention linux. Perhaps they don't make a distinction in their heads about PC meaning Windows OR linux, but I'm afraid that I do, and I think that linux as a platform needs that distinction too.

Moot point anyway for me - UK Kickstarter doesn't support Amazon payments, so despite pledging to around 15 projects over the past year, I'm now cut off from Kickstarter unless I'm prepared to trust them with my credit card details. Which, for the moment, I'm not. I've emailed them about it, but they haven't deigned to reply in the last fortnight.

Comment

• Originally posted by scaine View Post
      No mention of linux support on any of their pages that I could find, so I won't support it. I'm not having a go at the poster here - I appreciate that the video may well say that linux is already working (couldn't be bothered checking - sorry), but these days, I'm only interested in supporting a cause that promotes Linux, and far less interested about just getting a game that works on linux.

I wonder why they're shouting about "Mac, PC, Mobile iOS & Android!" but won't mention linux. Perhaps they don't make a distinction in their heads about PC meaning Windows OR linux, but I'm afraid that I do, and I think that linux as a platform needs that distinction too.

Moot point anyway for me - UK Kickstarter doesn't support Amazon payments, so despite pledging to around 15 projects over the past year, I'm now cut off from Kickstarter unless I'm prepared to trust them with my credit card details. Which, for the moment, I'm not. I've emailed them about it, but they haven't deigned to reply in the last fortnight.
      They do mention linux in the FAQ;
      We will be making GODUS for the PC (Windows) and mobile (smartphones and tablets iOS and Android) initially. It seems from some of your comments and private messages so far that you would love Mac and Linux support. We'd love to support both, but we would require more funding than what we are currently asking for. We called it out on our front page, so please if you want a Mac or Linux version, back us and ask your friends to do the same, we will introduce Mac support as a stretch goal when (hopefully) we go above the amount we're asking for. We'd love to do Linux as well but again, we'd have to raise more than the amount we're asking for.
      I'm starting to hate stretch goals which are just trying to suck out more money. Hell, be honest about it and I won't care, but don't treat it like porting to linux is a big deal with you are already aiming for Linux (through Android). Same with iOS and Mac i bet.

Comment

• They already promise Mac support without any stretch goals: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...s/posts/366326
        To be honest, there are not many people who believe Peter promises (team even joke about this in video) so it's not easy for 22cans to even meet current goal. They definitely reach ?450000 no doubt about this, but any stretch goals above that sum is not going to happen. And to reach ?450000 they have to promise Mac support now, without stretch goal. You can already draw some conclusions, even from this bit of information.

Comment

• Originally posted by scaine View Post
          No mention of linux support on any of their pages that I could find, so I won't support it. I'm not having a go at the poster here - I appreciate that the video may well say that linux is already working (couldn't be bothered checking - sorry), but these days, I'm only interested in supporting a cause that promotes Linux, and far less interested about just getting a game that works on linux.

I don't disagree with you. They could have many reasons for not mentioning it. Perhaps they won't end up supporting Linux. Perhaps they are just holding information back as a way of generating interesting updates.

That being said Linux was mentioned in the update video and that may be of some interest to some Linux users. Quite a few are probably watching the project for signs of Linux life already.

Comment

• Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
            They already promise Mac support without any stretch goals: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...s/posts/366326
            To be honest, there are not many people who believe Peter promises (team even joke about this in video) so it's not easy for 22cans to even meet current goal. They definitely reach ?450000 no doubt about this, but any stretch goals above that sum is not going to happen. And to reach ?450000 they have to promise Mac support now, without stretch goal. You can already draw some conclusions, even from this bit of information.
            Well according to Kicktraq it is currently trending towards 81% of its goal and both the low and high projections are beneath the goal. So it reaching its goal is far from a sure thing: http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/22cans/project-godus/

Comment

• Well I reaaaaally enjoyed FTL so I'm kind of glad that it's being added to Linux.
              Kind of annoyed that shadowrun returns is not being ported as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by b15hop View Post
                Kind of annoyed that shadowrun returns is not being ported as well.
                They indicated that a third-party was planning to:

Comment

• And in a shameless bout of self-promotion, I'm going to draw attention to my own non-Linux (FreeBSD) non-kickstarter (indiegogo: effectively the same thing) campaign! In short I'm asking for time to port Meshlab to FreeBSD.

For anybody still reading, the link is: http://www.indiegogo.com/meshlab-on-freebsd!

Comment

• List of Linux friendly Kickstarter projects

Hello guys Thanks for your stuff but i am new to this website and i am not aware of the things which you have posted could you please explian in brief .

Comment

• Status of campaigns I backed

Ongoing:
                      Aether (game engine), $75/$1K USD w/9 days remaining

Days of Dawn (fantasy RPG), $28K/$95K USD w/70hr remaining

Elite: Dangerous (3D space combat), ?1M/?1.25M w/5 days remaining. Didn't promise Linux/Mac support but weren't against it and have announced a ?1.4M Mac stretch goal. Linux support will likely be a stretch goal, if at all. I always ask for Linux support in the comment section if I contribute to a campaign that hasn't made a firm commitment.

Emperor's Forge (MMORPG), $430/$80K USD w/36 days remaining

Meriwether: An American Epic (American history RPG), $23K/$35K USD w/8 days remaining

Neon (web server control panel similar to Webmin), $235/$10K USD w/29 days remaining

Pathfinder Online (MMORPG), $528K/$1M USD w/15 days remaining. Based on the popular tabletop role-playing game that uses a modified D&D system. Didn't promise Mac/Linux support but not against it either. Likely will be stretch goals, if at all.

Pixel Kingdom (arcade/strategy game with classes), $59/$5K USD w/43 days remaining

SlipSpace (3D space-shooter/RPG), ?643/?2028 w/14 days remaining

The Demon Cave (Roguelike RPG), $276/$3750 USD w/51 hours remaining)

The Ship: Full Steam Ahead (mystery/action game), ?18K/?128K w/10hr remaining so probably failed

War for the Overworld (RTS/God game in a Dungeon Keeper-influenced setting), ?159K/?150K w/4 days remaining. Likely successful and working on stretch goals.

Successful:
                      Arakion (RPG), $47K/$25K USD
                      Carmageddon: Reincarnation (racing/combat game), $625K/$400K USD
                      Distance (racing game), $161K/$125K USD
                      Fields of Fresh (farming game), $1K/$1K USD
                      Forced ("Diablo meets Left 4 Dead" cooperative arena combat game), $65K/$40K USD
                      Forsaken Fortress (post-apocalyptic RTS/RPG), $121K/$100K USD
                      Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption (RPG), $409K/$400K USD. Accepting PayPal donations to meet stretch goals.
                      Maia (space-themed God game), ?140K/?100K
                      Pier Solar (retro 16-bit RPG), $231K/$139K USD
                      Project Eternity (RPG), $4M/$1.1M USD
                      Super Comboman (side-scroller/platformer), $16K/$15K USD

Unsuccessful:
                      Beasts & Blades (turn-based 3D RPG), $1760/$12500 USD. Accepting PayPal donations while development continues (new beta released Dec 29).
                      DH: Mechanized Assault Vehicle (mech MMO), $1612/$15K USD. Development continues.
                      Gerztron (arcade game), $143/$8K USD
                      Interstellar Marines: Prologue (space FPS/RPG), $157K/$600K USD. Development continuing and accepting pre-orders.
                      Ormr (image editor), $22K/$50K USD. Development continues.
                      Taste Linux (DVD training program), $1K/$5500 USD. A similar project DoorToDoorGeek Video Lessons did succeed in August 2012.
                      Thorvalla (RPG) $47K/$1M USD

Missed:
                      Telepath Tactics (turn-based tactical RPG), failed at $18K/$25500 USD, still being developed
                      The Banner Saga (turn-based strategy game), succeeded at $723K/$100K USD

Miscellaneous:
                      Kicking It Forward (developer-developer pledge)
                      Kickstarter in 2012: 52,000 backers contributed $79M to game-related projects
                      Last edited by jhansonxi; 29 December 2012, 11:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X