No announcement yet.

AMD Releases Catalyst 14.1 Beta Linux Graphics Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone else have the bug that resuming from suspend doesn't always work, and that sometimes the computer resumes itself (with no user input) to a black screen? I've had this problem for ages on my A10-5800K system (A75 chipset board) ONLY with Catalyst. I have no problem with the open source drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
      Yes it does. Metro Last Light improved A LOT with Catalyst 14.1 beta.
      I noticed the improvement too and so decided to play a bit today. Unforetunely, when I got to the first in-game cutscene it played then black screened on me and I had to kill the process. So not stable enough for me yet. Btw I'm using a Radeon R9 270X.

Comment

It worked fine for me, on the contrary Left 4 Dead 2 still works much better with open source radeon drivers.
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
          I thought I should warn everyone that suspend is broken with Catalyst 14.1, so you better disable it completely if you plan on using Catalyst. Steam Overlay is also still bugged with Catalyst -- drasticaly reduces FPS. If you play a game for a couple of minutes you will get framerate stuter.
          If I saw this before upgrading, I probably wouldn't have. Now that I have upgraded, I tested, and suspend/resume works fine for me :-)
          I tested it in the middle of typing this response.

On another note: I'm quite glad to see that they try to fix piglit tests now :-) It is one of the most complete OpenGL testing suites out there :-)

I did some quick performance tests, I can now play the Raven at medium, previously it would jerk a bit too much. Composited 2D seems a little less jerky too?

Comment

Does it still lack support for headless opencl?

Comment

Originally posted by grigi View Post
              If I saw this before upgrading, I probably wouldn't have. Now that I have upgraded, I tested, and suspend/resume works fine for me :-)
              I tested it in the middle of typing this response.

On another note: I'm quite glad to see that they try to fix piglit tests now :-) It is one of the most complete OpenGL testing suites out there :-)

I did some quick performance tests, I can now play the Raven at medium, previously it would jerk a bit too much. Composited 2D seems a little less jerky too?
              I would also add that Cat 14.1 causes a kworker thread to go insane, thus consuming an entire CPU core 24/7. Composited 2D seems extremely jerky to me, unlike the open source drivers which are smooth even with vsync disabled.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                Does it still lack support for headless opencl?
                Apparently it does, but there's a third-party patch for it: https://github.com/lgeek/catalyst-te...eadless-opencl

Anyone using that?

Comment

Has anyone gotten this working in Fedora 20? The driver tells me that my graphics adapter is not supported by this driver.

Comment

I use Fedora 20 at the moment. I'd read somewhere that the catalyst 13.11 beta (what I started with) had issues with Fedora's gnome desktop, so I'm guessing this is still an issue with 14.1 beta drivers. To get around the issue I removed the gnome desktop, which I don't really like since version 3 and installed lxde and xfce desktops. That setup works for me, be careful if you attempt to remove the gnome desktop as it removes far more than you'd like and can end up being potentially complicated.

Just found this how to, but I haven't tried it. http://tojaj.com/fedora-20-howto-swi...radeon-driver/

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
                      I would also add that Cat 14.1 causes a kworker thread to go insane, thus consuming an entire CPU core 24/7. Composited 2D seems extremely jerky to me, unlike the open source drivers which are smooth even with vsync disabled.

Look for a service called "YES". and kill it..
                      No idea what is this but it's the one doing this heavy load cpu.

Comment

Working...
                      X