AMD Releases Catalyst 14.1 Beta Linux Graphics Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fritzls View Post
    No! The one is for A+A cards or a+I muxed. A+i muxless still not supported and if work in your notebook is a bug not a feature.
    If you try to load A+I cards using fglx he tell you that your card is not supported.

"... [ 41.942] (WW) PowerXpress feature is not supported on A+I Mux platform. Please uninstall fglrx driver.
    [ 41.942] (EE) No devices detected.
    ..."

It's a well know problem from years..

If you do want to make the switch possible between your Intel and your AMD graphics cards, then this post is for you. If you do not own a AMD hybrid graphic card, please leave this thread, and post your problems in a thread made for AMD single graphic or Intel single graphic. Edit: The solution seems not to work with ATI 5xxx graphic cards, try at your own risk. Warning: Works only for muxless systems. Warning 2: Check if your BIOS is updated, if not update it ! (You will need Windows).

the only ones that seems work.
    ACER 7750g, Intel HD 3000, AMD 6650m, HDMI Intel/AMD: not tested/not tested, VGA Intel/AMD: not tested/not tested
    DELL Inspiron 14R (N4110), Intel HD 3000, AMD 6470m, HDMI Intel/AMD: not tested/not tested, VGA Intel/AMD: not tested/not tested
    DELL Vostro 3550, Intel HD 3000, AMD 6630m, HDMI Intel/AMD: not tested/not tested, VGA Intel/AMD: working/working
    HP Envy 14t-2000 CTO, Intel HD 3000, AMD 6630m, HDMI Intel/AMD: not tested/not tested, Mini DisplayPort Intel/AMD: not tested/not tested
    HP ENVY 15-3090CA, Intel HD 3000, AMD 6630m, HDMI Intel/AMD: not tested/not tested, Mini DisplayPort Intel/AMD: not tested/not tested
    HP Pavilion dm4-2160sf, Intel HD 3000, AMD 6470m, HDMI Intel/AMD: not tested/not tested, VGA Intel/AMD: not tested/not tested
    HP Pavillion dm4-2110sp, Intel HD 3000, AMD 6470m, HDMI Intel/AMD: not tested/not tested, VGA Intel/AMD: not tested/not tested
    HP Pavilion dv6-6102sg, Intel HD 3000, AMD 6770m, HDMI Intel/AMD: not tested/not tested, VGA Intel/AMD: not tested/not tested
    HP Pavilion dv6-6169sl, Intel HD 3000, AMD 6770m, HDMI Intel/AMD: not tested/not tested, VGA Intel/AMD: not tested/not tested
    HP Pavilion dv6-6178sl, Intel HD 3000, AMD 6770m, HDMI Intel/AMD: working/working, VGA Intel/AMD: working/working
    HP Pavilion dv6-6192sf, Intel HD 3000, AMD 6770m, HDMI Intel/AMD: not tested/not tested, VGA Intel/AMD: not tested/not tested
    HP Pavilion dv7-6070ef, Intel HD 3000, AMD 6490m, HDMI Intel/AMD: not tested/working, VGA Intel/AMD: not tested/not tested
    HP Pavilion g4-1001tx, Intel HD 3000, AMD 6490m, HDMI Intel/AMD: not tested/not tested, VGA Intel/AMD: not tested/not tested
    HP Probook 4530s, Intel HD 3000, AMD 6490m, HDMI Intel/AMD: not tested/not tested, VGA Intel/AMD: not tested/not tested

Lenovo e520,Intel HD 3000, AMD 6630m, HDMI Intel/AMD: not tested/not tested, VGA Intel/AMD: not tested/not tested
    Lenovo G-770,Intel HD 3000, AMD 6650m, HDMI Intel/AMD: not tested/not tested, VGA Intel/AMD: not tested/not tested

SONY Vaio VPC-SB1S1E, Intel HD 3000, AMD 6470m, HDMI Intel/AMD: not tested/not tested, VGA Intel/AMD: working/working
    SONY Vaio VPC-SC1AFM/S, Intel HD 3000, AMD 6470m, HDMI Intel/AMD: not tested/not tested, VGA Intel/AMD: not tested/not tested
    You can add HP Pavilion g6-1225em to the list. Intel HD 300/AMD Radeon HD6450m.

It worked fine for me today. The big trick was to get switchlib{GL,glx} scripts to work for my custom system. The Archlinux way should work just fine and iirc, Debian fglrx package has a rather simple script for that where it uses its alternatives system. AMD can't really support ~100 different combinations out there, so it's up to distro maintainers to integrate it.

Comment

Perhaps anybody is interested in this:
      X-Plane works much better now and can be started without the --no_threaded_ogl argument. HDR is still broken however...

Comment

Originally posted by Krejzi View Post
        You can add HP Pavilion g6-1225em to the list. Intel HD 300/AMD Radeon HD6450m.

It worked fine for me today. The big trick was to get switchlib{GL,glx} scripts to work for my custom system. The Archlinux way should work just fine and iirc, Debian fglrx package has a rather simple script for that where it uses its alternatives system. AMD can't really support ~100 different combinations out there, so it's up to distro maintainers to integrate it.
        most of problematic muxless and catalyst are junniper family

Comment

most of problematic muxless and catalyst are junniper family
          Well, I guess you can try and complain to AMD somehow. I remember that fglrx also said that my setup wasn't supported some time ago, but now it seems to work fine (I didn't need to complain though, a low end card with fglrx/catalyst isn't much faster than Intel's i965 on Linux).

Comment

ok tomorrow

No ports wired to ati card, just intel?
            Give me your xorg log and I show you or your output path is set to ati or your bios is set to software control

Low end = dv series
            mid range envy series
            business = pro-book series.
            hight end = no hp doest have this.
            ok tomorrow i send you the log. i?m not in hp right now and is to cold do go to the car take it now ;p

Comment

ok tomorrow

No ports wired to ati card, just intel?
              Give me your xorg log and I show you or your output path is set to ati or your bios is set to software control

Low end = dv series
              mid range envy series
              business = pro-book series.
              hight end = no hp doest have this.
              ok tomorrow i send you the log. i?m not in hp right now and is to cold do go to the car take it now ;p, but something i know is the hdmi output uses intel vga and not ati

Comment

Originally posted by FutureSuture View Post
                You're getting that kind of performance with an APU? I'm impressed. A R9 290X should be able to stomp all over the game with the open source drivers.
                Heh heh. Could have went with 5800, but I'm not sure if 5800 nets me a bit better performance considering both are using Radeon HD 7660D. And I'm unsure if Linux 3.14 and the latest version of Mesa will have any FPS improvements for games like Portal.

Ah, if only Valve could port Portal 2. I did some research in system requirements and I shouldn't have any problems playing Portal 2. I'm unsure if Intel HD Graphics 3000 can outperform my 7660D, though. I mean, when it comes to maxing out high settings except for anti-aliasing (I don't need it) at 1920x1080.

Man, pardon me for bragging, but I'm so happy with open source radeon driver. I just found it impressive that I can play Portal at that frame rate. Maybe it'll get better or maybe it'll get worse (oh, please no regressions...).

Comment

I've personally tested both the open source and latest Catalyst drivers with my HD 7950 in Unigine Valley with Extreme HD preset and these are the results:

Open Source RadeonSI Drivers:
                  FPS: 20.3
                  Score: 849
                  Min FPS: 12.6
                  Max FPS: 32.4

Catalyst 14.1 Drivers:
                  FPS: 31.0
                  Score: 1297
                  Min FPS: 15.6
                  Max FPS: 50.4

Therefore, at least for this benchmark, the open source drivers have ~64% of the performance of Catalyst 14.1.

Comment

-

Catalyst 14.1 ?...Thank you Steam Machines...sic.... AMD !
                    -
                    ps. ironic mode off.

Comment

I thought I should warn everyone that suspend is broken with Catalyst 14.1, so you better disable it completely if you plan on using Catalyst. Steam Overlay is also still bugged with Catalyst -- drasticaly reduces FPS. If you play a game for a couple of minutes you will get framerate stuter.

Comment

Working...
                      X