Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon HD 5770 graphics problems

hello,

I hope this is the right place to ask my questions.

I've got some problems with my Radeon HD 5770 and 3D games under WINE:
    missing Parts of faces and/or equipment in some Games (e.g. X?-the threat, lineage 2)
    invisible units in some strategy games (e.g. Star Wars - Empire at War)
    and complete System freezes (e.g. with Lineage 2)

I'm using the proprietary ATI graphics driver, Kubuntu 10.10 and Wine 1.3.10

In the Wine community, they told me that the probably only way to get rid of those bugs is to get a nVidia card. Are they right or is there a chance to get my ATI card working properly?
    If they're right, which nVidia card would you suggest to replace my 5770?
    And is replacing my ATI Card with a nVidia one helpful or will I just replace one problem with another one?

Thank you for your help!

Greetings,
    snejjj

Since wine is mostly developed and tested on nvidia cards, it works better there. That's partly the fault of fglrx-bugs and partly the fault of wine devs not caring.

But don't worry, switching to nvidia will just replace your current problems with new, completely different ones. I've switched from a GT7600 to HD5770, had some problems go away, other problems appear. The two major arguments for nvidia are VDPAU and wine, if you care about these (and don't care about OSS support or eyefinity), you may consider switching.
    Be advised though that even with nvidia, not every wine game will work flawlessly (in fact, most don't), and sometimes dual-booting is the cheaper and easier solution.

Comment

Originally posted by snejjj View Post
      hello,

I hope this is the right place to ask my questions.

I've got some problems with my Radeon HD 5770 and 3D games under WINE:
      missing Parts of faces and/or equipment in some Games (e.g. X?-the threat, lineage 2)
      invisible units in some strategy games (e.g. Star Wars - Empire at War)
      and complete System freezes (e.g. with Lineage 2)
      This happens from time to time, where bugs enter the driver at random stages, and it's hard to figure out what exactly happened. I recommend also giving any of the following games a try... namely Alien Swarm, left 4 dead and Left 4 Dead 2. Also, just for a quick note, Alien Swarm is free, and with any of these games, i see missing models, and semi-transparent models depending on whether or not a flashlight is one them.
      I'm using the proprietary ATI graphics driver, Kubuntu 10.10 and Wine 1.3.10
      This is useful information, And if my guess is Correct, The problems your experiencing are the same as what i am experiencing problems on Ubuntu 10.10, and wine v1.2.x (and v1.3.x).
      In the Wine community, they told me that the probably only way to get rid of those bugs is to get a nVidia card. Are they right or is there a chance to get my ATI card working properly?
      I would recommend actually learning how to do a bug report. The Unofficial bug report url is : http://ati.cchtml.com/

also, as a note, it requests that you run the following command: (For system details)
      sudo /usr/share/fglrx/atigetsysteminfo.sh

Anyways, The proper test method is to go about figuring out which version of fglrx works... For simplicity, I recommend moving to ubuntu 10.04 (and disable mode setting until fglrx is installed) and test each release of fglrx from 10.4 until 10.12 until you find the version what version is the one which rendered properly, and then which version has the bugs you are currently experiencing. However, if none of these bugs happen at this test, it means that it's a driver bug from changing xorg versions.
      Technically they are right, but their answer is the lazy man's solution which actually prevents things from actually being solved correctly.
      And is replacing my ATI Card with a nVidia one helpful or will I just replace one problem with another one?

Thank you for your help!

Greetings,
      snejjj
      If your looking for an nvidia card, the question is what hardware features you want, and what you want to do with the card itself.

Comment

hi,

thanks for your answers!

As I already have XP installed for dual-boot, I'll just keep it for the games and use Kubuntu for testing and submit bug-reports.

The Unofficial bug report url is : http://ati.cchtml.com/
        is there an official bug report url? and why (or when) is it better to use this unofficial one?

For simplicity, I recommend moving to ubuntu 10.04
        is this necessary or is there a way I can stick with my Kubuntu 10.10? #

(and disable mode setting until fglrx is installed)
        how do I disable mode setting?

and test each release of fglrx from 10.4 until 10.12 until you find the version what version is the one which rendered properly, and then which version has the bugs you are currently experiencing.
        and how do I do this?

sorry for all those noob questions. Hopefully, I'll be able to contribute something useful to the Linux project!

Comment

Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post
          Since wine is mostly developed and tested on nvidia cards,
          That's fairly outdated information. It's true that at least for the moment your chances with nvidia are a bit better than with fglrx though. It should also be noted that the drivers for Fermi cards seem to be a bit more glitchy than the ones for the previous generation.

Comment

You can use the ATI 10.12 Linux driver with Ubuntu/Kubuntu. See: (https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206...x86.x86_64.run)

Then, work on getting updated to Wine 1.3.11.

Comment

hi,

thanks for your answers!

As I already have XP installed for dual-boot, I'll just keep it for the games and use Kubuntu for testing and submit bug-reports.
              That's actually best for dealing with wine bugs to begin with.

is there an official bug report url? and why (or when) is it better to use this unofficial one?
              Honestly, a publicly available bug report system sponsered by ATI/AMD would be good, however, this is not going to happen... The closest thing i know of for bug reports is the ATI/AMD Linux Crew Survey.
              is this necessary or is there a way I can stick with my Kubuntu 10.10? #
              It's only required for when your doing the bug reports, seeing as how Ubuntu/Kubuntu 10.04 was supported a lot longer than Ubuntu/Kubuntu 10.10.

how do I disable mode setting?
              Add the boot option "xforcevesa" to the startup in grub for the first few boots until the initial ati driver is installed.

and how do I do this?

sorry for all those noob questions. Hopefully, I'll be able to contribute something useful to the Linux project!
              The process is simple actually...
              1. Install Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid)
              2. Install FGLRX 10.6. (See the Ubuntu Lucid Unofficial Install Guide on the Unofficial ATI/AMD Linux driver Wiki. The section which will be of use is the Section titled: "Installing the drivers manually")
              3. Reboot.
              4. Test the Programs
              5. Make notes about the status.
              6. Repeat steps 2 to 4 until you find the when the game starts bugging out. Also, make sure to note whether or not the game renders properly or not.

Comment

Working...
              X