Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 10.1 Released With Many Open-Source Driver Improvements

Phoronix: Mesa 10.1 Released With Many Open-Source Driver Improvements

Mesa 10.1 was released this morning as the latest three-month update to this 3D library and graphics driver stack used throughout the Linux desktop ecosystem. With Mesa 10.1 there are tons of improvements, while one of the big highlights is OpenGL 3.3 support for the open-source Radeon and Nouveau drivers.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

My goodness, what are people at Phoronix going to have left to complain about?

Comment

Originally posted by nirvanix View Post
      CrossFire, OpenCL, not being able to easily swap out / upgrade drivers, Video Decode / Encode, Nouveau reclocking.

( ^ Not my personal list, just the big ticket items I've seen lately. Personally I'm fairly happy with Mesa )
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
        CrossFire, OpenCL, not being able to easily swap out / upgrade drivers, Video Decode / Encode, Nouveau reclocking.

( ^ Not my personal list, just the big ticket items I've seen lately. Personally I'm fairly happy with Mesa )
        The moust importante thing for me would be easy updating drivers.
        maybe the BIG patch thingy that was proposed would help witht his situation?
        updating drivers without having to update everything else would be awesome and it probably is one of the things that is slowing things down on linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post

- A GUI and/or TUI for configuring graphics stuff, monitoring temperature. Already exists somehow (driconf), but lacks temperature, voltage, fan speed monitoring...
          - real, nice fan control; let's beat the proprietary drivers at that. People are responsible for what they do, after all. Only current way to do it is VBIOS edit, which is risky.
          - overclocking and underclocking. Only current way to do it is VBIOS edit, which is risky.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSoulz View Post
            The moust importante thing for me would be easy updating drivers.
            maybe the BIG patch thingy that was proposed would help witht his situation?
            updating drivers without having to update everything else would be awesome and it probably is one of the things that is slowing things down on linux.
            I thought rolling release distros like Arch, Manjaro, and openSUSE Tumbleweed already do that.

Comment

Originally posted by nirvanix View Post
              B-b-but mah dota2 runs at 0.5fps less than on Microsoft Windows 8.1 Blue (tm)!!!one

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
                - overclocking and underclocking. Only current way to do it is VBIOS edit, which is risky.
                Right, I still can't overclock my Haswell. Well, I can, but it works slower. Otherwise, it's ben running on par with windows for a good six months now (according to Michael's tests), so I don't think we'll see much in performance. Rather, functionality. OC'ing would be one, for sure.

Comment

Will I see any improvements on my celeron 2955u HD graphics if I upgrade from mesa 10.0.3 to 10.1?

Comment

Originally posted by FutureSuture View Post
                    I thought rolling release distros like Arch, Manjaro, and openSUSE Tumbleweed already do that.
                    true, but what i meant is something that i could download and install easly like you would on windows.

Comment

Working...
                    X