Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crossover Games 7.1 Released

Phoronix: Crossover Games 7.1 Released

CrossOver Games for Linux was originally released back in March (CrossOver Games Preview), but the CodeWeavers team is still busy driving new features and games into both CrossOver Office and Crossover Games. The latest example of this comes with the release of CrossOver Games 7.1. With CrossOver Games 7.1 comes plenty of game fixes and a full merge against WINE 1.0...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wow. They're a leg up over Transgaming now on the Wine libraries.

As far as I remember Transgaming's still using older sources, maybe from the old 0.9.x series.

Comment

What is the best, crossover games or Cedega? I would like to play with videos games like gta san-andres, brothers in arms 1,2 and 3 ... with graphics at hight on 1280x1024. And, I would like to have the same quality that I can have on Windows XP.

Comment

Originally posted by me262 View Post

As far as I remember Transgaming's still using older sources, maybe from the old 0.9.x series.
        Transgaming uses a code forked from pre-GPL days of Wine. That would be around 2002, I reckon. The code is probably so different now that the two code base are not comparable.

Comment

Originally posted by niniendowarrior View Post
          Transgaming uses a code forked from pre-GPL days of Wine. That would be around 2002, I reckon. The code is probably so different now that the two code base are not comparable.
          I wouldn't be surprised the least if they'd still base their product off of the current wine-versions. They don't seem to have much respect for FOSS.
          @pierluc: Well, I'd start trying with wine. If the games don't run on wine then it's not very likely they'll run on Cedega/Transgaming (except the only thing stopping the game from running is copy-protection, in which case it might run on Cedega).

Comment

Originally posted by me262 View Post
            As an integral part of Wine's development, CodeWeavers' Crossover products will always be a leg up on the Wine libraries.

Transgaming is not really apart of anything but themselves and the ancient Wine code base they started with. Their self-imposed isolation is a limiting factor on their development process (Wine and Crossover get a lot more help).

Comment

Originally posted by pierluc View Post
              What is the best, crossover games or Cedega? I would like to play with videos games like gta san-andres, brothers in arms 1,2 and 3 ... with graphics at hight on 1280x1024. And, I would like to have the same quality that I can have on Windows XP.
              Crossover games for sure, mainly because its a one time buy, no monthly fee like Cedega, Transgaming are a bunch of thieves and leeches. Crossover Games will get updated alot more often than Cedega ever will, Cedega gets updates like every 6 months or longer. So honestly, the best route would be Crossover Games. I'm not sure how all of those games run that you listed but you can check their compatibility lists here to see:

We’re constantly testing and rating CrossOver’s compatibility with Windows software. From business and office to education and reference software, CrossOver runs thousands of Windows programs on Mac and Linux.

From what I saw of San Andreas it has a gold rating on 7.0.0 so it should be the same if not better on 7.1.0 (current version). Gold means it is pretty much flawless except for a few minor glitches here but nothing show stopping.

Comment

Can I take the garphics on maximum when I use Wine (CorossOver Games)?

Comment

Originally posted by pierluc View Post
                  Can I take the garphics on maximum when I use Wine (CorossOver Games)?
                  On some games yes, but on some others no. What I recommend you do, is download the trial of Crossover here: http://www.codeweavers.com/products/...ownload_trial/

The trial lasts 7 days this way you can tryout everything you want to see how things work and see if its the thing for you before you spend the 40$ on it. Wine, Cedega, and Crossover are pretty unpredictable as far as what you will experience, so its hard to say whether or not something will work the same for you as someone else. You could get better results than what you read, but you can also get worse results. But as I said, get the trial and see how it goes, can't really go wrong there.

Comment

Originally posted by Malikith View Post
                    Crossover games for sure, mainly because its a one time buy, no monthly fee like Cedega, Transgaming are a bunch of thieves and leeches. Crossover Games will get updated alot more often than Cedega ever will, Cedega gets updates like every 6 months or longer.
                    They do put out a lot more releases lately. They're running putting out 6.1 soon, with 7.0 coming out in the fall. Beta and minor versions are released quicker, usually when an application update is broken, this happens in Steam a lot. 6.1 Beta 2 was released the 22nd, Beta 3 was released yesterday to correct a break in the Steam platform.
                    I definitely don't appreciate the monthly fee, 5 bucks a month ends up being 60 dollars a year for me, the cost of one game. The fact that the community has a say in what they work on though is worth it. They should just charge for the major releases. Of course, that's what the smaller subscriptions are for it seems.

Comment

Working...
                    X