No announcement yet.

AMD Posts A Horde Of New 3D GPU Documentation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it just me or are Nvidia and ATI falling all over each other to support Linux since Valve's announcements this week?

Shame on ATI for not having released this documentation previously.

Comment

Originally posted by TurbulentToothpick View Post
      Is it just me or are Nvidia and ATI falling all over each other to support Linux since Valve's announcements this week?

Shame on ATI for not having released this documentation previously.
      AMD's Linux support (that the public knows of) is much older than Valve's, and on a different level. It always takes them some time to release newer specs and docs, has always been that way. But those are openly available and NDA-free. Legal clearing takes some time.

Comment

Originally posted by Laser View Post
        AMD's Linux support (that the public knows of) is much older than Valve's, and on a different level. It always takes them some time to release newer specs and docs, has always been that way. But those are openly available and NDA-free. Legal clearing takes some time.
        Well I wonder how much of that is from the hardware backlog, remember that AMD has released docs for all Radeon hardware going back to the first Radeon 7000 R100/RV200 series.

Once they are finally caught up to current over in legal I wonder what the delay will be like for new generations.

I.E. if over the next year AMD's legal team finally approved and released all pending docs for AMD's entire Radeon catalog all the way through the current gen Volcanic Islands series would the next series of card get their docs before, day of or after release?

That tipping point has to happen eventually, and when it does everything from then on will be only held back only by how fast the community can program.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
          Hey, Alex, is any of this released documentation particularly 'new' or revolutionary? I know the SI driver is in rough (but improving quickly) shape so this should help there, but I thought everything covered by r600g was in relatively good shape.
          All of the information in the register documents has been available via header files in the driver code since it was first released.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
            I would think running it over a Gbit network would be just fine, at least up till 1920x1080. The rendering would entirely be done of the gaming box, which you could use as you HTPC backend server and now game streaming rig.

Now you might have issues trying to stream a game over wifi, but a hardline Gbit setup should have more then enough bandwidth and a low enough latency that it doesn't make any significant difference.
            While a Gbit ethernet is fast enough, encoding a 1920x1080 video stream takes its own time and processing power. Yes, the time is not that big, but add that to the communication latency and you'll get a noticeable delay. Also, a game will have to sacrifice some graphics details in order to accommodate for a 1920x1080 video being encoded in real time.
            A couple of weeks ago a Microsoft representative asked people not to plug gaming machines into the Xbox One's HDMI input slot because of the latency that will affect the experience, and you're talking here about a direct connection, no router in the middle, no long distance, and no encoding at the source.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
              All of the information in the register documents has been available via header files in the driver code since it was first released.
              Okay, so this is mostly just formality and organizational thing (moving references out of the header files and now saying "look at the documentational pdfs"). Just checking
              All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                Okay, so this is mostly just formality and organizational thing (moving references out of the header files and now saying "look at the documentational pdfs"). Just checking
                There's more detail in the documents than in the header files (eg more explanation of what things do), so it's not just header file in a different format, but these are more like "documentation to back up the code" rather than "documentation for areas which don't have code today". The 3D acceleration docs also might help new devs get started more than just looking at code would.
                Test signature

Comment

Working...
                X