Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Linux Driver Trying Bay Trail Aggressive Downclocking

Phoronix: Intel Linux Driver Trying Bay Trail Aggressive Downclocking

Intel's Linux open-source crew is toying with aggressive down-clocking for current-generation Bay Trail hardware for greater power-savings and lower heat output...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'd happily give up more performance if it gave me more battery life.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
      I'd happily give up more performance if it gave me more battery life.
      Especially when I don't need that performance the majority of the time.

Comment

But this is ATOM cores we are talking about... You definitely need all the performance it can offer.

Comment

Originally posted by grigi View Post
          But this is ATOM cores we are talking about... You definitely need all the performance it can offer.
          It would provide it when there is a consistently high load, like a game. Battery life is more important right now for Intel to compete with ARM, since they have an architectural disadvantage (higher cost to decode instructions).

Comment

Originally posted by vadix View Post
            It would provide it when there is a consistently high load, like a game. Battery life is more important right now for Intel to compete with ARM, since they have an architectural disadvantage (higher cost to decode instructions).
            I was specifically talking about user experience. I have a little cube thingy that uses this new atom cores, and the power management is very laggy, which makes the usability quite terrible. I gave up and set it to use the performance governor, and it runs much better now. The box doesn't seem to be any warmer than before either, hence I assume C-states are working fine. It is infintely more usable, with apps responding acceptably now.

Before it was downright terrible, the browser would always jank annoyingly, now its smooth.

The ancient old Athlon X2 3600 I used there before was soooo much smoother and more responsive. There is something seriously wrong with the disparity between benchmark performance and feel of performance on the ATOM based systems.

Comment

Working...
            X