Intel GPU Driver Tries To Rip Out FBDEV Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
    Sandy Bridge i5, dual core plus hyperthreading, clocked at ~1.6ghz i think (its a ULV model because its an ultrabook) 4Gbs of RAM, full upstream 3.9.5 kernel with the default fedora config, make -j4

Takes me about an hour. Open to suggestions (on Arch it would take me 90mins to 2hrs, same laptop)
    Are you building the kernel using SRPM or directly from a kernel tree?
    If you're building an SRPM, make sure you .rpmmacros is configured correctly (%_smp_mflags).

- Gilboa
    oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
    oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
    oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
    Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Originally posted by gilboa View Post
      Are you building the kernel using SRPM or directly from a kernel tree?
      If you're building an SRPM, make sure you .rpmmacros is configured correctly (%_smp_mflags).

- Gilboa
      Direct kernel tree. Make clean, wiped ~/.ccache, removed ccache and redid the compile. Times are below.

Code:
      [eric@eric-laptop linux-3.9.5]$ time make oldconfig > ~/makeoldconfig2.log

real    0m3.528s
      user    0m2.715s
      sys     0m0.465s

[eric@eric-laptop linux-3.9.5]$ time make bzImage > ~/makebzImage2.log
      /home/eric/Source/linux-3.9.5/usr/include/linux/kexec.h:49: userspace cannot reference function or variable defined in the kernel
      /home/eric/Source/linux-3.9.5/usr/include/linux/soundcard.h:1054: userspace cannot reference function or variable defined in the kernel
      Succeed: decoded and checked 1692280 instructions
      Setup is 16940 bytes (padded to 17408 bytes).
      System is 4932 kB
      CRC 61e8544a

real    14m38.881s
      user    13m10.536s
      sys     1m36.039s

[eric@eric-laptop linux-3.9.5]$ time make modules > ~/makemodules2.log
      drivers/isdn/hardware/mISDN/hfcpci.c: In function ‘hfcpci_softirq’:
      drivers/isdn/hardware/mISDN/hfcpci.c:2298:2: warning: ignoring return value of ‘driver_for_each_device’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result [-Wunused-result]
      drivers/md/dm-raid.c: In function ‘raid_ctr’:
      drivers/md/dm-raid.c:427:54: warning: ‘rebuilds_per_group’ may be used uninitialized in this function [-Wmaybe-uninitialized]
      drivers/md/dm-raid.c:383:11: note: ‘rebuilds_per_group’ was declared here
      drivers/media/usb/dvb-usb/m920x.c: In function ‘m920x_probe’:
      drivers/media/usb/dvb-usb/m920x.c:91:6: warning: ‘ret’ may be used uninitialized in this function [-Wuninitialized]
      drivers/media/usb/dvb-usb/m920x.c:70:6: note: ‘ret’ was declared here
      drivers/scsi/advansys.c:71:2: warning: #warning this driver is still not properly converted to the DMA API [-Wcpp]
      drivers/scsi/aic94xx/aic94xx_sds.c: In function ‘asd_read_flash’:
      drivers/scsi/aic94xx/aic94xx_sds.c:597:21: warning: ‘offs’ may be used uninitialized in this function [-Wmaybe-uninitialized]
      drivers/scsi/aic94xx/aic94xx_sds.c:985:6: note: ‘offs’ was declared here
      drivers/scsi/mvsas/mv_sas.c: In function ‘mvs_update_phyinfo’:
      drivers/scsi/mvsas/mv_sas.c:1162:34: warning: comparison between ‘enum sas_device_type’ and ‘enum sas_dev_type’ [-Wenum-compare]
      drivers/scsi/mvsas/mv_sas.c:1165:39: warning: comparison between ‘enum sas_device_type’ and ‘enum sas_dev_type’ [-Wenum-compare]

real    64m3.603s
      user    57m23.668s
      sys     6m59.454s

[eric@eric-laptop linux-3.9.5]$
      That was standard 'make' with default number of jobs (1?).

Make -j4 is next, i'll edit or repost with those numbers.
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

make clean, reran oldconfig,bzimage and modules...

Code:
        [eric@eric-laptop linux-3.9.5]$ time make -j4 oldconfig > ~/makeoldconfig3.log

real    0m3.520s
        user    0m3.204s
        sys     0m0.392s

[eric@eric-laptop linux-3.9.5]$ time make -j4 bzImage > ~/makebzImage3.log
        /home/eric/Source/linux-3.9.5/usr/include/linux/kexec.h:49: userspace cannot reference function or variable defined in the kernel
        /home/eric/Source/linux-3.9.5/usr/include/linux/soundcard.h:1054: userspace cannot reference function or variable defined in the kernel
        Succeed: decoded and checked 1692280 instructions
        Setup is 16940 bytes (padded to 17408 bytes).
        System is 4932 kB
        CRC 2e1234a2

real    7m16.351s
        user    22m4.562s
        sys     1m58.334s

[eric@eric-laptop linux-3.9.5]$ time make -j4 modules > ~/makemodules3.log
        drivers/isdn/hardware/mISDN/hfcpci.c: In function ‘hfcpci_softirq’:
        drivers/isdn/hardware/mISDN/hfcpci.c:2298:2: warning: ignoring return value of ‘driver_for_each_device’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result [-Wunused-result]
        drivers/md/dm-raid.c: In function ‘raid_ctr’:
        drivers/md/dm-raid.c:427:54: warning: ‘rebuilds_per_group’ may be used uninitialized in this function [-Wmaybe-uninitialized]
        drivers/md/dm-raid.c:383:11: note: ‘rebuilds_per_group’ was declared here
        drivers/media/usb/dvb-usb/m920x.c: In function ‘m920x_probe’:
        drivers/media/usb/dvb-usb/m920x.c:91:6: warning: ‘ret’ may be used uninitialized in this function [-Wuninitialized]
        drivers/media/usb/dvb-usb/m920x.c:70:6: note: ‘ret’ was declared here
        drivers/scsi/advansys.c:71:2: warning: #warning this driver is still not properly converted to the DMA API [-Wcpp]
        drivers/scsi/aic94xx/aic94xx_sds.c: In function ‘asd_read_flash’:
        drivers/scsi/aic94xx/aic94xx_sds.c:597:21: warning: ‘offs’ may be used uninitialized in this function [-Wmaybe-uninitialized]
        drivers/scsi/aic94xx/aic94xx_sds.c:985:6: note: ‘offs’ was declared here
        drivers/scsi/mvsas/mv_sas.c: In function ‘mvs_update_phyinfo’:
        drivers/scsi/mvsas/mv_sas.c:1162:34: warning: comparison between ‘enum sas_device_type’ and ‘enum sas_dev_type’ [-Wenum-compare]
        drivers/scsi/mvsas/mv_sas.c:1165:39: warning: comparison between ‘enum sas_device_type’ and ‘enum sas_dev_type’ [-Wenum-compare]

real    29m54.490s
        user    101m40.549s
        sys     8m56.427s
        Odd... I seem to remember this taking longer the first time I did it just a month or so ago...

Either i timed it with 1 job, there was something else hogging the CPU, (This was run with me still using firefox occasionally, it had the CPU to itself most of the time when I ran it but not all the time), or having yakuake not visible decreases the priority of whatever is running and therefore slows down the compile.

Comment

Thats not bad for the hardware you have. I think you can still improve it a bit though.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
            Thats not bad for the hardware you have. I think you can still improve it a bit though.
            Ideas for how? I've always just put up with it but I'd be open to improvements.

Comment

That's not easy to answer. Basically make menuconfig and start unchecking options you don't use. Easier said than done though. localmodconfig may be useful for you to determine what to keep and what to toss.

EDIT: along with localmodconfig you may also want to use a kernel seed. http://kernel-seeds.org/
              Last edited by duby229; 20 June 2013, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Ideas for how? I've always just put up with it but I'd be open to improvements.
                Considering how much time is spent on modules, try running "make localmodconfig"-it will take the list of loaded modules and enable just those. Of course, you'd better plug in hardware that you'll want to use first, so the modules are loaded. And if you plan to use samba/NTFS/fat, check the filesystems menu (ntfs-3g needs fuse, not kernel ntfs!).
                Once you have a working config, you can keep using it via make oldconfig.

Also, why the need to patch the Intel driver?

By the way, THIS is the big reason that needing extra packages gets annoying. It takes a while to build a kernel, but if you also need to get the latest udev, libdrm, libxkbcommon, etc. that can really get old. And no, I don't intend to stop updating the kernel on my Squeeze system...
                Last edited by Ibidem; 20 June 2013, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ibidem View Post
                  Considering how much time is spent on modules, try running "make localmodconfig"-it will take the list of loaded modules and enable just those. Of course, you'd better plug in hardware that you'll want to use first, so the modules are loaded. And if you plan to use samba/NTFS/fat, check the filesystems menu (ntfs-3g needs fuse, not kernel ntfs!).
                  Once you have a working config, you can keep using it via make oldconfig.

Also, why the need to patch the Intel driver?

By the way, THIS is the big reason that needing extra packages gets annoying. It takes a while to build a kernel, but if you also need to get the latest udev, libdrm, libxkbcommon, etc. that can really get old. And no, I don't intend to stop updating the kernel on my Squeeze system...
                  1) I've known about localmodconfig but I've never run it because i know that I'm gonna forget something and I won't realize it until I need it in an emergency.

2) Patch: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=47941#c83 Hardware Quirk that makes the backlight have an acid-trip, because Dell did SUCH a good job of making the XPS 13z Sandy bridge model be "linux certified" -.-

3) Compiling some things doesn't bother me, I run Arch and Fedora mostly so I'm used to either compiling via the AUR or compiling from git because there werent RPM packages available. But I HATE the thought of reliving my attempted-Gentoo-days where I had to compile every little thing.

Comment

Compile times really arent that bad on newer hardware. I remember when I first started with gentoo. I was on a 300C Celeron. It was OC'd to 600mhz though. That was the only chip I ever had that I could double the clock. Still took days to compile everything... Now with a 955BE it takes a few hours.

Comment

make clean, reran oldconfig,bzimage and modules...

Code:
                      real    29m54.490s
                      user    101m40.549s
                      sys     8m56.427s
                      Odd... I seem to remember this taking longer the first time I did it just a month or so ago...

Either i timed it with 1 job, there was something else hogging the CPU, (This was run with me still using firefox occasionally, it had the CPU to itself most of the time when I ran it but not all the time), or having yakuake not visible decreases the priority of whatever is running and therefore slows down the compile.
                      Use top to see what's hogging your CPU.
                      Building the kernel, unless you're building 99% of all modules, should be well under 10M. 2-3 on a strong machine.

BTW, what's your machine hardware configuration (unless I missed it).

- Gilboa
                      oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
                      oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
                      oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
                      Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Working...
                      X