No announcement yet.

Unreal Engine 4.1 Released With Linux/SteamOS Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why can't they make UT3 available to Linux then...

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
      You also currently need to copy the shared libary into you output folder so that the binaries can be run from there:

cp ./Engine/Source/ThirdParty/Steamworks/Steamv128/sdk/redistributable_bin/linux64/libsteam_api.so Engine/Binaries/Linux
      Wait what?!

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
        Wait what?!
        which part of "they started working on" and "you currently need" is hard to understand? the "native building on linux" is not made by epic i think. the fact that subscription makes source available is the fact that people with subscription can work on this. if you read a bit, you can see this started when source was released,

Building natively on Linux is not yet supported by Epic but some people on the forums and on GitHub have been trying to make it work based on the source code published on GitHub.

We've been discussing it on the forums and also on IRC at irc://irc.freenode.net/UE4Linux. If you'd like see working native Linux please jump in an join us.
        that pretty much tells this is community project

Comment

What the heck do they use so that Win-to-Lin cross-compiling works, but native does not.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
            What the heck do they use so that Win-to-Lin cross-compiling works, but native does not.
            I have to admit that I find much of what I read in the world to be completely baffling.

It seems that there are so many software companies out there that are just dominated by drooling idiots or something. Maybe that comes across too harshly, but we're talking about -- in the grand scheme of things -- relatively simple concepts where big-name companies consistently show extreme incompetence.

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
              which part of "they started working on" and "you currently need" is hard to understand? the "native building on linux" is not made by epic i think. the fact that subscription makes source available is the fact that people with subscription can work on this. if you read a bit, you can see this started when source was released,

that pretty much tells this is community project
              What does any of that have to do with Steam? Why is its API required to begin with?

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                What does any of that have to do with Steam? Why is its API required to begin with?
                I know one of the "Tools" downloads in Steam is the Unreal dev kit, so they may run their subscription through steam, or they may use the steam API as a compatibility layer / abstraction layer between distros. But, both of those are just total guesses on my part.
                All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                  I know one of the "Tools" downloads in Steam is the Unreal dev kit, so they may run their subscription through steam, or they may use the steam API as a compatibility layer / abstraction layer between distros. But, both of those are just total guesses on my part.
                  Well, I just hope that Steam itself won't be a requirement to run all UE4 games...

Comment

I know one of the "Tools" downloads in Steam is the Unreal dev kit, so they may run their subscription through steam
                    In their stream Epic devs said it's won't happen.

or they may use the steam API as a compatibility layer / abstraction layer between distros. But, both of those are just total guesses on my part.
                    Compatibility layer of Steam called Steam runtime and for now it's Ubuntu 12.04 libraries which obviously open source:
                    A runtime environment for Steam applications. Contribute to ValveSoftware/steam-runtime development by creating an account on GitHub.

So I suppose it's just needed for Steamworks integration.

Comment

Originally posted by _SXX_ View Post
                      So I suppose it's just needed for Steamworks integration.
                      I hope it's optional, but then why does the wiki say it's needed...

Comment

Working...
                      X