Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
    I see two drawbacks here:
    1. It needs a OpenGL capable GPU and(or) a driver doing as well.
    2. For now it is pure eyecandy which is nice but will this increase my personal experience, my work performance, KDE's performance, usability, stability? Will it interfere with other GPU hogs?
    What year is your system? There isn't a GPU out on the market by 99.9999% of the market leaders that isn't OpenGL compliant. Offloading to the GPU for all these operations is exactly what the GPU is designed to do in its sleep. Freeing up resources for the CPU is just taking a cue from OS X and any other modern OS.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
      What part of "TECH DEMO" Did you not understand Kivada? It was said like 4 times in the article (not michaels, the actual one). All the video is doing is showing off what you can do with the new SceneGraph and how easy and fluid it is.
      You missed the fact that composited desktops are a waste of system resources and that yes, all programs that can benefit in any way from getting an assist from running on the GPU should be doing so.

Plasma, like Compiz, Beryl, Fuzion and whatever the fuck else it's been named over the years is yet another example of wasted effort in endlessly rewriting something for no actual gain for the user. In many cases it's actually a detriment to the user's experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
        Plasma, like Compiz, Beryl, Fuzion and whatever the fuck else it's been named over the years is yet another example of wasted effort in endlessly rewriting something for no actual gain for the user.
        In the case of Plasma, the gain is considerable, considering that it's a cleaner codebase which replaced Kicker, KDesktop, SuperKaramba, and a number of other things which were getting unmaintainable.

You can always switch to an old school window manager if you prefer that, I don't see why you're so upset. This sort of stuff needs virtually no GPU power, it's trivial, and your GPU has plenty of power for other stuff.

Comment

You missed the fact that composited desktops are a waste of system resources and that yes, all programs that can benefit in any way from getting an assist from running on the GPU should be doing so.

Plasma, like Compiz, Beryl, Fuzion and whatever the fuck else it's been named over the years is yet another example of wasted effort in endlessly rewriting something for no actual gain for the user. In many cases it's actually a detriment to the user's experience.
          You do realize that compositing isn't just about fancy effects, right? Because if you DON'T know that, then you're not even educated enough to be having this conversation. If you DO know that however, then we can keep going. But I want to see a couple of the advantages listed, by you, FOR compositing desktops before we keep going.
          All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

why do all kde desktops on screenshots i see look so boring, uncomfortable and mostly ugly?

it is as far as i know the most customizable DE out there, well in my opinion too much and too compicated but still it allows to change so much. and i still haven't seen anything half way nice.

Comment

Yeah, how could users possibly benefit from a cleaner, more consistent, more flexible, better-planned, and better-organized code base, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                You do realize that compositing isn't just about fancy effects, right? Because if you DON'T know that, then you're not even educated enough to be having this conversation. If you DO know that however, then we can keep going. But I want to see a couple of the advantages listed, by you, FOR compositing desktops before we keep going.
                I fully know that, there is still no positive from a user's point of view. Big deal you made it "more maintainable" for a dev, it changed nothing for the better for the end users.

What it ends up doing, even though it's supposed to use no GPU power on a modern GPU it does however kill off all those marginal systems where the CPU and Ram are enough but the Intel or SiS or S3 GPU on the mobo is incapable of running the distro. To me this is a massive travesty for those people in poor regions even in first world countries since they cannot be moved over to Linux. Telling them to get new hardware is not an option nor is it an option for them to build old versions of X from source on Gentoo as their first ever distro.

And for those of us that have modern fast machines? Still no advantage over old desktops, you saw it with Windows Metro, KDE4 and Gnome3. People don't like them and for good reason, they are terrible user experiences. On the technical side, I've said it and I'll keep on saying it, there is no reason the GPU should be sitting idle when it's not being used for 3D. It should be running as an OpenCL co-processor at all times and not just for Folding@Home.

My argument is what it has always been, the priorities of open source developers are completely fucked up since they seem only ever want to reinvent the wheel for the millionth time only to further fracture an already shattered platform.

Comment

Originally posted by a user View Post
                  why do all kde desktops on screenshots i see look so boring, uncomfortable and mostly ugly?
                  Here's couple of mine taken over the past year:

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
                    Yeah, how could users possibly benefit from a cleaner, more consistent, more flexible, better-planned, and better-organized code base, right?
                    Answer me this, when is the last time you saw a USER poke around in ANY codebase?

Comment

Answer me this, when is the last time you saw a USER poke around in ANY codebase?
                      Are you kidding? Please tell me you are kidding. You seriously have no idea how a more maintainable code-base can benefit users?

Comment

Working...
                      X