Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The State & Future Of The GNU C Library (GLIBC)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The State & Future Of The GNU C Library (GLIBC)

Phoronix: The State & Future Of The GNU C LIbrary (GLIBC)

Red Hat's Carlos O'Donell provided an update this week on the GNU C Library along with some recent and upcoming features for glibc...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's a real shame! Twice a shame on Red Hat!

What happened to the plain old English?
    Is everyone quitting the school before being 7?

(From linked document, slide #3).
    WRONG: Complaints mean that you're project is in use!
    RIGHT: Complaints mean that your project is in use!

you're: contraction of "you are"
    your: "of, belonging to, or associated with you"

Comment

O'Donell was quick to admit that glibc faces some criticism as being too slow, not always producing correct behavior, and missing some features.
      Just some REALLY minor problems, that surely won't deter anyone from using the library. [/sarcasm]

Comment

Originally posted by Uqbar View Post
        What happened to the plain old English?
        Is everyone quitting the school before being 7?

(From linked document, slide #3).
        WRONG: Complaints mean that you're project is in use!
        RIGHT: Complaints mean that your project is in use!

you're: contraction of "you are"
        your: "of, belonging to, or associated with you"
        Seriously, I can't get why people waste time ranting about a minor grammar mistake in a presentation. English is not even
        Odonell mother language. Focus on presentation contents instead.

Comment

Originally posted by gamerk2 View Post
          Just some REALLY minor problems, that surely won't deter anyone from using the library. [/sarcasm]
          Care to elaborate on the sarcasm tag?

Comment

Personally, I find musl libc a very interesting project and I hope to see some desktop-oriented distros built on this library sometime in the near future (there are a couple of distros, but mostly experimental at this stage)

Comment

Originally posted by OlegOlegovich View Post
              Care to elaborate on the sarcasm tag?
              Presumably the bit in the quote about "not always producing correct behavior".

Comment

I wonder what happened to bugfix releases. There's only feature releases now. After 2.15 came 2.16 and then 2.17. What happened to stuff like 2.15.1 and 2.15.2, stabilizing on what's already there while not breaking anything? Lack of manpower?

Comment

Anyone know what the incorrect behavior refers to? I only know of issues in the rarely used parts of the math library (such as some higher-order functions that take complex numbers - you likely have nothing on your system that calls those).

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                    Anyone know what the incorrect behavior refers to? I only know of issues in the rarely used parts of the math library (such as some higher-order functions that take complex numbers - you likely have nothing on your system that calls those).
                    Unless you are contractually obligatied to support some toolchain that uses said API. I've been forced to support enough badly written toolsets where I'd like the API it uses to, I don't know, do what its supposed to?

Comment

Working...
                    X