Manjaro vs. Ubuntu vs. Fedora vs. OpenSUSE Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
    Didn't know that Manjaro is that out-dated for something that claims to be based on Arch.
    Obviously it's an un-updated system.
    It's the 0.8.8 Manjaro ISO installed and not updated.

Comment

Originally posted by korrode View Post
      I think all distros should be updated to the latest stable versions before testing. Seems reasonable, especially since Fedora 20 was updated and tested.

Comment

Originally posted by korrode View Post
        Hmm. Is that wise? Updates are not just for new versions, but also for bugfixes. What point is there testing a version that doesnt even exist anymore sans as a installation starting point?

If you need even one package thats not included in the installdisc you will pull in half the system via dependencies anyway.

Also why would one use the latest dev version of ubuntu yet not even the latest stable of manjaro? Kind of like testing debian wheezy 7 when wheezy is at 7.3. Not sure for whom these manjaro benchmarks are helpfull, people that dont update their system after a install, or for months?

Not meant as critique, just genuinly puzzled.

Personally I would like to see current debian stable and current arch in every benchmark, as extreme points of reference. Maybe have them run out of contest or something.

Comment

They are all the same results, as i said thousand of times, all linux distros are the same shit with different smell. Don't waste time installing thousands of distros, just install Ubuntu and forget. Ofcourse i'm talking for a desktop usage, nothing special

Comment

Originally posted by felipe View Post
            They are all the same results, as i said thousand of times, all linux distros are the same shit with different smell. Don't waste time installing thousands of distros, just install Ubuntu and forget. Ofcourse i'm talking for a desktop usage, nothing special
            Or openSUSE. Or Manjaro. Or *insert name here*.

Comment

Exactally. Just install what works for you (I like ubuntu/debian/mint) and use it. These benchmarks don't show anything useful. The higher GPU benchmarks are theonly ones significantly different(I wish I had error bars michael with n=3 or greater), and that's due to graphic stacks age.

Comment

I think thats obvious to everyone here. But phoronix got an additional few thousands hits because of that thread title :P

Comment

Originally posted by SebastianB View Post
                  Manjaro stable uses mesa 10 since early january. Mesa 9.2 isnt even in the stable repositories anymore ...
                  Didn't know that, I was just referring to what the benchmark was using. I guess only some of the OSes get updated? Weird...

Comment

Cant really disagree. Personally I look at packages, especially 2, nvidia drivers and calibre. The former because without it my gfx gets unbearably loud, the latter because I have ebook reader and read alot, and thats the app for it make no mistake.

Also I want calibre be kept up to date, cause it gets updated frequently with awesome features that actually pertain to me.

Astonishingly enough that already limits the competition quite a bit. Ubuntu I dont like much, I feel that their shift to mobile etc took too many resources away from the pc desktop. Its not that noticeable yet, but its already fraying at the edges whatwith having to fork and scavange logind etc. They went their own way a couple too often imho.

Also I find their CLA policy to be distasteful, I guess you could say I have trust issues with regards to canonical. I certainly vastly prefer community distributions like debian, arch or gentoo over them. Hell even redhat or suse is better, clear business plan and not trying to make a quick buck by selling my data to amazon or someone.

P.S.: Distribution form also matters, I like rolling releases or being able to upgrade releases. PPAs are also cool but opensuses obs is imho better.

Comment

I use Arch and am quite happy with the distro but for general deployment and stability I use Ubuntu with PPA. I get GIMP, Libre Office and more updates faster than in Arch and yet its well tested and stable with no issues. Also looking at benchmarks past and present, GPU drivers have more role to play here than Kernel and Ubuntu has always done well even though the stigmata of bloat is always given to it. Well this bloated distro works out of the box, no need to scrounge the net to find out that certain systemtctl files need to be enabled to get the basic printer recognized.
                      Imagine the trauma of a XP refugee using a distro where you need to go into the system just to get basic functionality. I think apart from those who are learning Linux, for rest Ubuntu serves a very good purpose. They are interested in doing their work and not learning about the OS but Ubuntu allows that as well.

Comment

Working...
                      X