GIMP Looks Towards GEGL, High Bit Depths, GTK3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Article
    (There does exist a GIMP GTK3 branch, but not that's been merged to mainline.)
    Either Michael made a stealth update, or you might have missed that bit.

Comment

Out of curiosity how good is GTK3 support for Win and Mac OS X? ie. Does GIMP runs flawlessly on those two OSes?

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
        Out of curiosity how good is GTK3 support for Win and Mac OS X? ie. Does GIMP runs flawlessly on those two OSes?
        On Mac OS it uses X11 so it's a bit of an alien program living in its own little X11 world. It works, but could be better. Last time I checked there was a native Mac port that doesn't require X11 but it's for Mountain Lion (10.8) only.

Comment

I for one really appreciate the single window mode, even if I have not had the opportunity to use it much since I am still on Fedora 16 and Gimp 2.8 only started to ship with Fedora 17. And it is not for Photoshop nostalgia, as I have never used it, but rather for the fact it simplifies the interface. Because of this I am glad they kept the traditional multi-window mode as well though, for those that need the additional options.

And I can understand the reasons behind the save and export change. One of my brothers is a big multimedia guy, and you should hear him complain about losing quality during edits, especially with audio and video software. I am pretty sure he will appreciate the change in the Gimp when I inform him about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
            Either Michael made a stealth update, or you might have missed that bit.
            It's quite comical that the GIMP software isn't the first to use the newest version of the GIMP ToolKit.

Comment

Single window mode is pretty useful for anyone using tiling WMs.
              Question: Wasn't GIMP looking towards GEGL and high bit depths already with 2.8?

Comment

Originally posted by TobiSGD View Post
                Question: Wasn't GIMP looking towards GEGL and high bit depths already with 2.8?
                AFAIK the porting process is gradual.

Comment

Originally posted by TobiSGD View Post
                  The current git version supports bit depths greater than 8 bit per channel. This will eventually become 2.10.

As for the export vs save change. The way things were you had to memorise which formats would save which features. I quite like the new workflow when doing textures or involved graphics as I want to work with an in progress format and an output format simultaneously. Doing light edits is a bit of a pain though - over all I think it's an improvement but I can see why some people complain.

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
                    It's quite comical that the GIMP software isn't the first to use the newest version of the GIMP ToolKit.
                    Damn, you are right. Did not think of that until now.

Comment

Working...
                    X