NVIDIA 9600GT and Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA 9600GT and Games

I can't play any 3d games with my Geforce 9600GT.

I have the Geforce 9600GT 512 MB and I'm using the 171.06 drivers on Ubuntu/Gutsy 7.10 (Gnome with Compiz)

I can't play any 3d games native or under wine.
    As soon as a game starts my whole system does a hard reboot. I tried disabling my secondary display, I tried Xnest and I tried several different games including Nexuiz, Tremulous and CSS under wine with the same result.

As soon as the game starts the CPU climbs to 100% and the system does a hard reboot within about 10 seconds.

I'm about to try again after disabling Compiz and I will post but I expect a similar result.

The logs in /var/log/ don't say anything related to the crash.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, right now I'm writing this off as a driver malfunction.

Yea Compiz or not I still get the same problem, Its definitely a driver problem.

Comment

I would send the card back for replacement. I'm not seeing anything like that with mine.

Comment

Originally posted by StringCheesian View Post
        I would send the card back for replacement. I'm not seeing anything like that with mine.
        Unfortunately for me this means that as a last resort I will be installing windows as a test of the hardware... if windows fails then I can be sure its a hardware problem.

If not then its the driver.

Comment

Are you sure your card is getting enough power?

Comment

Originally posted by marakaid View Post
            Are you sure your card is getting enough power?
            I have a 350 Watt PSU.
            I have the following hardware in my box:

1 Sata HDD
            2 CD-ROMS
            1 Nvidia Geforce 9600GT PCI-E (Yes the PCI-E is plugged in)

Everything else is integrated on my Mobo....sound, lan, blah blah.

Are you trying to suggest that my PSU is causing this mess? Is there a way to test how much Wattage I'm drawing from the PSU at idle?

Comment

350W is too low, specially if the PSU is from a generic no-name brand.

Comment

It really depends on the quality of your psu - technically a modern pc like the one you describe (say with a core2duo and 2gb of ram) should draw about 200W max - so there's quite a bit of headroom, but old psu's can have bad efficiency (most newer high quality ones have 80+% these days) and with age psu's also seem to loose efficiency (at least that's what I've been told).

So yes your psu might be the cause, but a 350W psu should - given that it's of good quality - be more than enough to run that setup.

Comment

Can you tell the amperage on 12 Volt line?
                  8800GT and similar cards needs 26A minimun!

Comment

Originally posted by marakaid View Post
                    Can you tell the amperage on 12 Volt line?
                    8800GT and similar cards needs 26A minimun!
                    How do I figure that out? The PSU is an ANTEC and is fairly new.

Comment

Working...
                    X