No announcement yet.

Goodbye ATI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have 5670 and desktop effects in kde are very bad with fglrx. Better the radeon driver.

Comment

Dammit. Shipment of my order has been delayed. Probably need to wait until Saturday.

Comment

I'm getting to hate Catalyst as well.

I'm getting to hate Catalyst driver as well. You can see my adventures in the AtiLand here

The most silly issue is that I have 2 GPUs but driver is really messed up, so it does detects only one of GPUs in OpenCL apps but in ADL I could see both, which is just odd. Various subparts of driver have a various ideas on number GPUs I have. Pretty cool bug, I should admit .

I can also add that overall quality of the driver is quite low and generated packages tend to not install properly. At least I never had a great success in generation of packages by their installer. Most of time initrd will not update so driver will not start correctly on next boot. Maybe brave AMD QA staff should attempt to test their product before releasing it and fix at least most stupid/annoying bugs? I wonder if AMD haves QA staff at all.

And AMD APP SDK... hmm, it can't be installed in civilized ways using package manager. It's rather have to by copied by some script a-la old make install times. The only problem is that deinstalling it would be far from trivial.

Why I do not use nvidia? Well, their computational architecture isn't great for my tasks. It's so bad that even 1 active AMD GPU would completely beat 2 or even 3 nvidia GPUs of the same price range (they simply have fewer ALUs -> they lose). I hope opensource driver will be better than this catalist full of bugs and issues. Unfortunately it does not supports OpenCL at the moment yet.

Comment

Bye-bye for me, too

Hi,

i can understand your frustration with the state of AMD /ATI driver support in Linux. I myself finally made the switch to Windows 7 after having been "forced to live" with this driver disaster. The open radeon driver does not function due to energy issues and since my notebook really IS a tool and not the center of my being i decided to ditch Linux since there is no fully functional desktop environment when you are a customer of ATI or AMD. The situation and this company really are sucking. The only Linux i have left now resides in my Motorola Defy+ ...

Hope you'll be glad with your all-new graphic chip ;-)

Comment

It's pretty obvious that as a company, AMD has just been mailing it in for the past 2-3 years. I really question if they're going to be even relevant in another 3 years.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
              I finally switched to NVidia (I ordered a GTX 560 Ti). I've been using ATI cards since almost 10 years (a Radeon 7500 was the first.) But, lacking good Linux support for 10 years is too much. But you know what? In 10 more years from now, when maybe the drivers will be good at last, I'll switch back. But for now, you lost a very loyal customer who actually tried very hard to like your products much more than the ones from your competitor.
              "In 10 more years from now, when maybe the drivers will be good at last, I'll switch back."

Good luck.

Waiting for AMD/ATI drivers to improve is hopeless. Why didn't they just leave it as the ATI brand, anyway?

You guys will be arguing about AMD drivers for the next 10 yrs or maybe it won't even get that far. AMD DOESN'T SUPPORT LINUX! If you can't have drivers that do what you want, then it's not supported.

If all you need is minimal usage and there's several features that aren't important to you and that's sufficient, great. But, it doesn't change the fact that there's insufficient Linux support.

I consider Nvidia's support to be poor, too, but Nvidia and ATI are MS-centric. What do they say, pick your poison?

I still want to get another (new but not necessarily 'new' as in from a store or store bought) video card but it will be Nvidia for sure. I just don't see any other choice.

Btw, with respect to power saving features and what might be the best choice for a laptop, it would be Intel, right? Does the Intel HD 3000 graphics have working power features and full 3D?

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
                Btw, with respect to power saving features and what might be the best choice for a laptop, it would be Intel, right? Does the Intel HD 3000 graphics have working power features and full 3D?
                Yes, mostly. I'm not sure whether RC6 defaults on yet, but if you follow the Intel news here you'll know.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                  Your postings are completely pointless until you OWN+USED the hardware you always talk about. I had/have those ati cards for fglrx:

radeon 9000 mobile agp (used) -> unsupported by fglrx since 8.28.8
                  radeon 9700 pro agp (dead) -> unsupported by fglrx since 9-3
                  radeon 9800 pro agp (used by a friend) -> unsupported by fglrx since 9-3
                  radeon x700 (pro) pci-e (2 cards dead) -> unsupported by fglrx since 9-3, lived at least long enough to fix radeon oss issues
                  radeon x1600 pci-e (available) -> unsupported by fglrx since 9-3
                  radeon hd 3450 pci-e (sold) -> supported by fglrx, but xvba crashed too often, therefore i got rid of it
                  radeon hd 4550 pci-e (available) -> supported by fglrx, seems to work
                  radeon hd 5670 pci-e (used) -> supported by fglrx, problems with xvba/gl2benchmark since 11-12

so how many cards did YOU test with fglrx? if somebody has got spare ati cards from series 6 and 7 feel free to send em to me.
                  I haved owned and used:

Radeon 9200 SE
                  Radeon HD 2400 Pro
                  Radeon HD 4350
                  ... and just being delivered is a ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470

I have run Linux exclusively for all of these except the Radeon 9200 SE.

Apart from the Radeon 9200 SE card I have avoided using fglrx. They have all worked pretty well with they open source drivers, which continue to improve all the time.
                  Last edited by hal2k1; 10 February 2012, 03:10 AM.

Comment

On laptops you usually have got use fglrx for best power management. If you are very lucky you get something with a muxless layout, without solutions like bumblebee your chip with stay all the time under power and do just nothing. Have fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
                      You guys will be arguing about AMD drivers for the next 10 yrs ...
                      True. I remember talk about ATI stepping up their OpenGL game back when I owned an 8500LE. They still have to follow through on that one.

Comment

Working...
                      X