ECS KBN-I + AMD E1-2100 "Kabini" APU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by caligula View Post
    Probably because this board could possibly also support 75W TDP PCI express graphics (450W TDP with extra connectors). Who would be that insane? The 25W max GPUs are designed for this sort of systems.
    There are uses for tiny cpu + huge gpu. I believe Nvidia has shown several such concepts.

Comment

Originally posted by edgar_wibeau View Post
      Every once in a while (very rare), there are x86 mITX boards with a power connector like you showed for the ARM boards. Last time I saw one, it only had a PCIe x1 slot for the reasons you told. But that's a niche, most mITX boards come with standard ATX P/S socket ande PEG slot even if it's only conected with four lanes.

There are SSDs that draw more than five watts on heavy write loads btw.
      Yes, some sandisk extreme drives draw more, but those are not that common. My idea was just to help with the cable mess by powering drives from sata cable. there are actually powered esata cables. Why can't we use them inside the case? Around 5W is surely no problem. Even micro usb can handle that.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
        There are uses for tiny cpu + huge gpu. I believe Nvidia has shown several such concepts.
        The ITX cases don't even have room for such GPUs. My semi big ITX case only has room for 1.5 slot pci express card, not even double size. This hardly draws 75W. Those 300-450W TDP beasts need at least a micro atx case. Why would you use mini ITX mainboard in that case?

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
          The ITX cases don't even have room for such GPUs. My semi big ITX case only has room for 1.5 slot pci express card, not even double size. This hardly draws 75W. Those 300-450W TDP beasts need at least a micro atx case. Why would you use mini ITX mainboard in that case?
          Depends really, I've managed to cram in an XFX R9-280X in my Lian Li PC-TU200B. Ok it's not a 300-450W card but at that W we're talking about Dual GPU cards.
          I agree that the PSU's on PC's seem a bit overly complex, seems like 98% of what draws power in the PC uses the 12V rail so when looking at the ATX connector it looks like it could do with some trimming.

Comment

Originally posted by edgar_wibeau View Post
            Every once in a while (very rare), there are x86 mITX boards with a power connector like you showed for the ARM boards. Last time I saw one, it only had a PCIe x1 slot for the reasons you told. But that's a niche, most mITX boards come with standard ATX P/S socket
            Yes. The boards that have simpler power supplies are very scarce and don't really have much options. You might have like 1 or 2 H77 chipset boards in total with that connector. That's all. So you really have no choice. If you don't like any of the other design choices, you're left with huge ATX socket.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              Well, Raspberry Pi comes with a power adapter (which is equivalent do a power supply).

Add even if you add a case and storage to a Raspberry Pi, it will still be cheaper.

A case for the Raspberry Pi is ?10.
              You can't find a mini-ITX case for that price.

A SD storage for the Raspberry Pi is going to be cheaper than storage for the ECS KBN-I too.
              If you want to run such slow and cheap storage nothing stops you from using a USB flash drive as your main storage on that ECS board (or any PC motherboard able to boot from USB)
              Or boot from the network : that's ?0 storage.

Comment

Originally posted by grok View Post
                If you want to run such slow and cheap storage nothing stops you from using a USB flash drive as your main storage on that ECS board (or any PC motherboard able to boot from USB)
                Or boot from the network : that's ?0 storage.
                It also depends on where you live how much the RPi costs. Mine didn't come with any power supply, just the board. And there was import tax and the final price for sd card, psu, board, case was closer to $90. (includes shipping)

Comment

Just installed 14.04 LTS on my E1 Kabini and noticed a terrible static noise when playing games. Youtube videos play fine, but games are accompanied by horrible static. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix it?

Comment

Originally posted by gururise View Post
                    Just installed 14.04 LTS on my E1 Kabini and noticed a terrible static noise when playing games. Youtube videos play fine, but games are accompanied by horrible static. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix it?
                    Compare noise difference with radeon driver .

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                      Compare noise difference with radeon driver .
                      Been using the radeonsi driver that comes with 14.04.... even tried going from Kernel 3.13 to 3.14 and made no difference.. I really do not want to use the proprietary gfx drivers if I can avoid it.

Comment

Working...
                      X