No announcement yet.

Help me help Linux, tell me about Linux problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is something that linux doesn't have and if you port it to linux you'll become very popular : DirectX.
    You can choose whatever you want to make windows games veeery easy to port to linux!

sorry for "fluent" english

Comment

Originally posted by edmon View Post
      Here is something that linux doesn't have and if you port it to linux you'll become very popular : DirectX.
      You can choose whatever you want to make windows games veeery easy to port to linux!

sorry for "fluent" english
      And how exactly you expect one person to do that alone ?

Comment

Originally posted by jhellis3 View Post
        I uninstalled PulseAudio via the software center and have not had an audio corruption issue since. However, without pluseaudio, there are NO GUI CONTROLS for ALSA. This Gnome Mixer is the best I could find, and it is terrible.
        What a GUI might look like:
        Then go KDE :-P

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
          imho the biggest problem is printing. Compared to windows, linux printing sucks.

It is not enough to have a driver, that only can print one or two resolutions with bad colours.
          We need GOOD printing. And we need good printing support throught the stack. With nice preview and everything.

Seriously, linux printing is a suckfest. Everything else is bearable or even great.
          +1, the adobe reader printing dialog with per page preview is what linux needs!

Comment

Re

Originally posted by oliver View Post
            About re-implementing yet another protocol for chat/voice etc, I would say initially that that is a bad idea. xmpp works fine. Obligatory XKCD: http://xkcd.com/927/

Instead, as suggested before, a CLIENT for the voice libs, xmpp libs SIP libs would be much more needed.
            I proposed a Client based on XMPP to my coordinator, we will talk tomorrow about the ideas I listed(There were 2 more, 1 involving Speech Recognition and is related to High Priority Projects of Linux Foundation). As Linux Foundation says, there are already a lot of IM Clients with Audio/Video capabilities but as I searched, I didn't find a Client for mobile phones which will be open source and have Audio/Video calling. I intend to make an interface(UI) that doesn't use native components(Linux doesn't have something like Cocoa where only by using native components you can make a good looking interface), I don't like at all the experience you can have with current Linux IM Clients. I know that there are some hard core users that love the console and ugly interfaces but anyway, there are more users that love to see something really beautiful...

Comment

Android emulator

Android market is growing so fast, so there should be some nice emulator.

such Android emulator in plasma applet could be nice

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                Then go KDE :-P

It's like .. you read his mind!!

But from what I remember the gnome built in one works with alsa too? Even so, there's quite a lot of alsa mixer/gnome mixers that work and look 'normally'. galsamixer is horrid and old and probably not maintained.

Comment

It isn't really the mixer part that is needed, though that helps. Rather the ability to select default/active playback and input devices.

If these tools are so ubiquitous, perhaps you could provide some links. Preferably something I don't need to compile myself.

Comment

Originally posted by jhellis3 View Post
                    It isn't really the mixer part that is needed, though that helps. Rather the ability to select default/active playback and input devices.

If these tools are so ubiquitous, perhaps you could provide some links. Preferably something I don't need to compile myself.
                    This actually exists. It's called PulseAudio :-P If you're using plain ALSA, you can't expect any tools that do what you ask for, since ALSA does not provide any API for this to begin with.

Comment

Did you even read my original post?

PulseAudio produces corrupted sound. <---That is a period. All of the convenience it provides is meaningless since it can't actually produce clean sound.

If you're using plain ALSA, you can't expect any tools that do what you ask for, since ALSA does not provide any API for this to begin with.
                      Odd, I remember this being possible several years ago...

Either way, that is exactly the reason the problem needs addressing.

Comment

Working...
                      X