Phoronix Redesign is live!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phoronix Redesign is live!

Recently we've been working on some underlying CMS improvements and restructuring to improve the user experience at Phoronix. Over the past two weeks specifically we've made some great improvements and decided to push it out to the public a bit earlier than planned. About 5 minutes ago we just launched it live, so ladies and gentlemen refresh your caches! As always, your feedback is greatly appreciated.

--Phoronix Team

Looks good, I like it. I'd have to say its a improvement.

Comment

It's beautiful, especially the new logo.

/me likes...

Comment

it had a nice wow factor

i only feel that the green color of the bottoms and the article titles doesn't fit in with the rest of the color scheme anymore.

Now I'm a geek so 'taste' is not my forte, so do get a second opinion ;-)

Overall I like it. I still think that article comments could be better integrated, rather than 3 clicks away. But again I'm a geek ...

those 3 boxes on the "home" page
        "Popular In The Forums" and the like do appear to be out of place.
        Last edited by rolz; 02 October 2007, 09:10 PM.

Comment

While i like the overall feel of the new design, I think it could use the browser's width better. This is what I see:
          Unlimited space to host images, easy to use image uploader, albums, photo hosting, sharing, dynamic image resizing on web and mobile.

The wasted space on either side is about the same width as the Latest Articles column itself, which should be taking up the bulk of the space IMO.

Fix that, and I'd say the new design is better.

Comment

I sure
            was
            surprised
            at the
            new
            design!

I found
            it
            unusual
            at
            first,
            but I
            guess
            some
            cultures
            like to
            read
            a narrow
            column
            of text
            vertically,
            so I guess
            I can't
            complain.

Comment

Originally posted by rolz View Post
              it had a nice wow factor

i only feel that the green color of the bottoms and the article titles doesn't fit in with the rest of the color scheme anymore.

Now I'm a geek so 'taste' is not my forte, so do get a second opinion ;-)

Overall I like it. I still think that article comments could be better integrated, rather than 3 clicks away. But again I'm a geek ...

those 3 boxes on the "home" page
              "Popular In The Forums" and the like do appear to be out of place.
              The green colored boxes are the last remnant of the last scheme and they are being changed as well. So you actually support my opinion .

We're still debating how to integrate the comments, but yes right now there is essentially no integration.

Comment

I would like to have the preview of the news back because I'm not really interested in most of the reviews posted. Many news weren't longer than the preview text, there was no need to click on them. Now you have to click on every one.

Imho the preview text of the articles is too long. Displaying a short summary and an indicator that there is more should be enough for most people to see if they are interested or not. It also doesn't look nice to cram the long text into a small column.

I also don't like the 4 columns layout. The third and fourth columns share too much information. The third column also looks to much like the google ads. If you would display the news together with the reviews/articles and remove the third column completely, I would be happy .

And maybe it's a good idea to separate hardware reviews and the other articles posted.

Comment

Originally posted by thoemy View Post
                  I would like to have the preview of the news back because I'm not really interested in most of the reviews posted. Many news weren't longer than the preview text, there was no need to click on them. Now you have to click on every one.

Imho the preview text of the articles is too long. Displaying a short summary and an indicator that there is more should be enough for most people to see if they are interested or not. It also doesn't look nice to cram the long text into a small column.

I also don't like the 4 columns layout. The third and fourth columns share too much information. The third column also looks to much like the google ads. If you would display the news together with the reviews/articles and remove the third column completely, I would be happy .

And maybe it's a good idea to separate hardware reviews and the other articles posted.
                  Here's a hint for something I did just for people hesitant to change:

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    Here's a hint for something I did just for people hesitant to change:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=old_home
                    It's not the old home .

I'm not reluctant to change just because I want something back. I want it back because I think it was better.
                    Last edited by thoemy; 02 October 2007, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X