Ubuntu Desktop To Drop PowerPC Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ramiliez View Post
    I am confident that you wont come up with any numbers whatsoever because it will show the truth and you dont want that.
    The truth is that Ubuntu has contributed to upstream projects, which was shown in the link I gave. Now you're saying, "Ubuntu doesn't contribute enough upstream" which is much more vague and difficult to disprove (and it may even be correct depending on whose standards we're going by). BTW, what numbers are you talking about? I hope you're not expecting pie charts...

If you want to dispel that meme you have to try harder not just with single guy
    Okay, so then you really don't understand how logic works. Maybe a simpler example will help.
    Someone says, "All birds are black." I show them a bluebird. Boom, disproved.
    Likewise, someone says, "Ubuntu doesn't contribute upstream." I show a project where Ubuntu has contributed upstream. Boom, disproved.

Comment

Nope

Originally posted by DanL View Post
      Okay, so then you really don't understand how logic works. Maybe a simpler example will help.
      Likewise, someone says, "Ubuntu doesn't contribute upstream." I show a project where Ubuntu has contributed upstream. Boom, disproved.
      Not quite, as you have to show us first why you think one single employee stands for an entire company.

Comment

Originally posted by frign View Post
        Not quite, as you have to show us first why you think one single employee stands for an entire company.
        Nope, I didn't say that or even imply it. Again, I provided a counter-example to the statement - "Ubuntu never contributes upstream". Now you've changed your claim to something far more nebulous.

Well, if you want another example (though I know you'll never be satisfied no matter how many examples you see), here are recent commits by Bryce Harrington to Xserver: http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/xse...r&q=harrington
        I've also seen upstream developers use Canonical tools (like Intel's Chris Wilson using Launchpad and the xdiagnose script): https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...l/+bug/1203273

How many more bluebirds do you need to see?

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
          The truth is that Ubuntu has contributed to upstream projects, which was shown in the link I gave. Now you're saying, "Ubuntu doesn't contribute enough upstream" which is much more vague and difficult to disprove (and it may even be correct depending on whose standards we're going by). BTW, what numbers are you talking about? I hope you're not expecting pie charts...

Qaridarium have taught you well

Read it it shows pretty well the ugly truth
          (Warning: ill-advised rant ahead.  Read the apology here.) In case you missed it: $SUBJECT is the percentage of contribution to the GNOME codebase.  Thanks, Dave Neary. An upside of not working for…

That meme is going to be used because it describes Canonicals culture of non-contribution not because its truth in strict sense. Its propaganda term yes but its their fault

Look it was dubys way of saying that Canonical doesnt contribute enough if you cannot wrap your head around that...

Comment

Originally posted by Ramiliez View Post
            Read it it shows pretty well the ugly truth
            https://gregdekspeaks.wordpress.com/...6-canonical-1/
            What truth? The truth that Canonical doesn't contribute as much to gnome as Red Hat? They still contributed something, which disproves the statement that I originally objected to. Thanks for bolstering my argument (and finding another bluebird for me).

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              Phoronix: Ubuntu Desktop To Drop PowerPC Support

The Ubuntu desktop images for the IBM PowerPC architecture are set to be eliminated...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQyMzg
              Didn't they kill this off like 4 years ago? Least thats what I remember when I had to switch over to the one man only community spin. Had to give it up for Debian PPC.

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
                No problems at all with PA on all my Slackware systems. And no, PA is not part of the Slackware repository. If you use a crappy distro that forces things on you (and than those things don't even work) you are obviously using the wrong distro (why the hell are you even using a distro that forces things on you? I wouldn't even consider that an option). Have you tried different distros (you know that live media are available for most distros?) to rule out if your problems are really caused by PA in general and not only by the PA used in your distribution?
                Well, like I said, I can't answer for everyone under every circumstance, that just isnt possible. But, I can answer for myself and the circumstances that I have experienced.

I've been around long enough and have seen multiple transformations in linux distributions. I've been around since before Ubuntu and Fedora and Manjaro and Sabayon were even thought of.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                  Well, like I said, I can't answer for everyone under every circumstance, that just isnt possible. But, I can answer for myself and the circumstances that I have experienced.

I've been around long enough and have seen multiple transformations in linux distributions. I've been around since before Ubuntu and Fedora and Manjaro and Sabayon were even thought of.
                  And you didn't answer the questions at all. Nobody cares how long you are around. The questions are still:
                  - Why do you even use a distribution that forces you to anything?
                  - Have you evaluated that your problems with PA are not distro specific?

Comment

Doesn't worry me, I've been running Debian PPC on my Apple iBook G4 for some time now and it runs far better on this hardware than Ubuntu ever would anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
                      And you didn't answer the questions at all. Nobody cares how long you are around. The questions are still:
                      - Why do you even use a distribution that forces you to anything?
                      - Have you evaluated that your problems with PA are not distro specific?
                      Ok, fine.... Force may have been a bit out of hand. I have evaluated PA quite a few times because fundamentally it does have some nice features that I like. But I've never been satisfied with it. I would never deploy that code as it is with the hardware that I'm using.

Comment

Working...
                      X