Ubuntu is NOT a part of community

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
    Learn to read, I said SUSE not openSUSE. Also, I'd like to see this proof for Ubuntu's non-free-ness.
    SUSE has never existed. It was SuSE. There is openSUSE, SLES, SLED all which are free (with the exception of cost for support).

SLE btw is free to distribute, modify, etc etc as well and they even include it in SUSEStudio.
    Last edited by deanjo; 02 December 2009, 05:19 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by deanjo View Post
      SUSE has never existed. It was SuSE.
      Oh yeah? Tell that to Novell then.

Comment

• Originally posted by next9 View Post
        "...REvolution R enhancements not installed. For improved performance and other extensions: apt-get install revolution-r..."

That means OSS software in ubuntu is crippled to advertise competing third party commercial/proprietary software each time you run it!
        Bug report, status triaged, patch available. I'd suggest pinging for inclusion in lucid and, if possible, in karmic.

Comment

Bug report, status triaged, patch available. I'd suggest pinging for inclusion in lucid and, if possible, in karmic.
          Lucid has synced the Debian version 2.10.0-1 so I guess it is already fixed.

Comment

The distribution name is SUSE Linux Enterprise Server or SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop so if you want to quibble about names your quibbling about a distro that never existed. Also if you consider the SLE offerings as "non-free" then you have to consider Cononical's offerings "non-free" as well as they also offer enterprise support.
            Last edited by deanjo; 02 December 2009, 08:37 PM.

Comment

• Well the SuSE things are a bit more "non-free" as you have to register to get updates from the official repository.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kano View Post
                Well the SuSE things are a bit more "non-free" as you have to register to get updates from the official repository.
                Which is to maintain support and backporting of security issues on older packages. 7 Years is a long time to expect someone to maintain all of that especially as linux is a continual state of progression.

Comment

• Other distros do not let the users pay for (security) updates, no matter how long they are provided. You still could get sell support for other things.

Comment

Other distros do not let the users pay for (security) updates, no matter how long they are provided. You still could get sell support for other things.
                    You know sometimes these kind of threads are actually good for something. If in the feature I decide to switch to another distro because the direction Ubuntu is taking isn't to me liking it certainly will not be SuSE.

Thanks for the info!

Comment

Other distros do not let the users pay for (security) updates, no matter how long they are provided. You still could get sell support for other things.
                      Redhat does the same thing to get official updates to RHEL. CentOS is built with that in mind and off of the SRPM's from RHEL (same could be done with SLE's SRPM's if desired). In fact RH even promotes the reason for "Subscription Features (general) - Product updates & upgrades."

Comment

Working...
                      X