No announcement yet.

Future of ATI Linux drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, I was implying exactly that, and yes you're correct too, the Linux average is imo indeed about 1%. I just also wanted to point out that in _some_ (seldom) cases it gets to 4-5% and on the completely Linux-biased sites (like linux forums) it's a lot higher than 5%.
    But, the best thing for Linux is not to trumpet that it's a bit more often used than some people believe, but actually keep polishing it and if something is worse than in windows we have to admit it and improve it in Linux as well, not deny it or redefine the worse behavior as a virtue (you know what I mean, the typical behavior of a Linux fanatic).

Comment

• Originally posted by cl333r View Post
      Yes, I was implying exactly that, and yes you're correct too, the Linux average is imo indeed about 1%. I just also wanted to point out that in _some_ (seldom) cases it gets to 4-5% and on the completely Linux-biased sites (like linux forums) it's a lot higher than 5%.
      But, the best thing for Linux is not to trumpet that it's a bit more often used than some people believe, but actually keep polishing it and if something is worse than in windows we have to admit it and improve it in Linux as well, not deny it or redefine the worse behavior as a virtue (you know what I mean, the typical behavior of a Linux fanatic).
      We completely agree, then.

Comment

• Yes, completely, well, almost, except for that tiny little issue hehe

Comment

• No, I don't have any "hard" statistics, not that these are very hard to begin with, but I was trying to make two points:

a) Stats here are very flawed, because the process they are using is flawed. You want proof, look at the huge difference in the numbers. Also, add this random statistic as well to the mix: http://www.osnews.com/story/21035/Ba...tor_than_Apple

That article is noted in several different places other than that website. So, Microsoft themselves told their investors that. It all comes down to who you want to trust. Do you want to trust Microsoft and a bunch of U.S.-biased web hit counters?

b) As just noted, those are U.S. hit counters. If you've been paying attention to the news, and using your brain at the same time, other countries have higher percentages that use Linux. Why do I think that?

In developing countries, computer users are not subject to the "fear of change" effect stunting adoption, seeing as to how they're changing from not using computers to using them.

Other countries have had very large public Linux roll-outs, while here in the U.S. they are small where and when they are able to actually survive Microsoft's onslaught of lawyers and lobbyists.

Some other countries have much healthier Linux pre-installed sales on computers than the U.S. does.

Again, the U.S. is Microsoft's home turf, and anyone who listens to the news a lot and knows about all the things that Microsoft is involved in knows fully well their power and influence and how great it is. MSNBC, for starters...but the point is that sales in the U.S. is incredibly hard because of them and other factors, so you can't just trust U.S. web hit counters. Only now are things slowly starting to open up more in part thanks to consumer's acceptance of different and new operating systems on devices like phones/MIDs and soon hopefully netbooks.

If the U.S. government recognized that forcing the sale of Windows on computers by removing consumer's choice to not buy it to get it cheaper was anti-competitive which it of course is, sales would be very different. But alas, now I'm complaining, and that of course doesn't effect current Linux use, whatever that might be.

Comment

• Personally, I dont care about microsoft.
            I, long time MS user, have switched to linux and from the first moment I love this OS!
            Currently linux, as an Operating System, as a base for software lacks native 3D acceleration support.

Because setting up closed-source drivers is hard, produces security risks and goes in contrast to how system software(and actually almost all software) is handled on this system, only professionals(which get it installed and supported anyway, and most time its other UNIXes, not linux) and enthusiasts consider linux as graphically capable system.

I think only AMD does it the right way and openness is the future.

Comment

• I sign what author of the first post has said.

Comment

• Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
                Currently linux, as an Operating System, as a base for software lacks native 3D acceleration support.
                Well, if AMD or nVidia don't release drivers for their cards for Windows, it will to lack 'native' (whatever that means to you) support for 3D acceleration.

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
                Because setting up closed-source drivers is hard
                sudo ./ati-driver-installer-9-8-x86.x86_64.run ?

Installing drivers and software IS part of using an operating system. I'm sorry but if your idea of using an operating system is clicking on bright, 3d, animated buttons that take you to mail, take you to tweeter, take you to retarded clips on youtube, please do yourself a favor and buy a Mac.

It's like saying that cars are badly designed because only 'professionals' and 'enthusiasts' (?) can change tires, otherwise, for the regular user who only sees the boxes means to get faster somewhere, it is too complicated. Changing you tires isn't complicated. You don't have to graduate with a diploma in automotive engineering to do it. You are just a lazy sob. And, flying spaghetti monster forbid you should learn a teeny-ini bit about how the tool in front of you works. Then we'd have a problem. We'd have informed consumers making informed choices...

15 years ago anybody who owned a car could change his/her own tires. So, identical people with less resources (you couldn't read on wikipedia how to change a tire, or such) apparently were more informed and apt to act on their own.

If you consider installing a blob in linux complicated, then linux isn't for you. You need some sort of "internet entertainment device" with one bright button for each of your daily leisure and entertainment activities ( idiotic cat videos on youtube, see what Bob is doing right now on tweeter, listen to DRM music ) that is factory set up and locked to do all these things for people too comfortable and ignorant to read a piss poor book. This is what Apple computers are for. You don't have to think, just be yourself.

Linux and FOSS grew into what they are today because the community that made it and uses it actively and shapes what it is, is made out of people who GIVE A F*** and don't want just a cheap (free) glittering crap to listen all day long to music, 24, desperate housewives and the plethora of canihascheeseburger crap. For 99% of what most of you do, you don't need Linux, or Windows or OSX for that matter, you need a smartphone with a big screen and a kb/mouse.

For the rest of us who care, who actively work on the foss ecosystem, do us a favor and go back to windows or switch to mac.

We already have the hideous example of Compiz, a piece of shit 50-cent, useless, pimp my desktop, which create a lot of problem for the non 'professionals' ( by the way, in this field, a professional is someone with a computer science degree, keep that in mind when talking about using an operating system ). The only reason Compiz exists, is because some idiots wanted to make the Linux GUIs more like Vista or Mac OS X, to show just how awesome Linux can be. This shows a larger problem of trying to make the Linux ecosystem into a pimped-up clone of Windows/MacOSX, meaning that for some, Linux must be a cheap (free) copy of windows so users can 'migrate' easily.

This is like butchering complex analysis into some infantile crap with animations, so people to lazy and comfortable, who in the first place would have no use for it, can 'make a switch' easily from 4th grade arithmetic.

If this is the raison d'etre for Linux, then fuck, I'm moving to BSD or Solaris.

Comment

• Originally posted by Qaridarium
                  if you download the driver
                  and then you wana install it "sudo ./ati-driver-installer-9-8-x86.x86_64.run ? "
                  this will simpel do not work!!

because of the permissions! you need to set the executive flac!

and the opensource driver do not need this 'hack' ;-)

you realy sould move to BSD or solaris because linux is a real good surfing station/smartphone(android)
                  Yes, you need to understand what access permissions ARE. That is part of using the operating system. Otherwise you are an utter ignorant who just wants to surf the net.

Do you even know, on a primitive level what you are talking about?
                  Why do you want an "open source" anything if you do not know even a piss-poor primitive concept like access rights, a concept VITAL to any user of the operating system. How are you suppose to keep your operating system secure if you don't know and don't give a fuck about the TOOL you want to use?

Setting permissions for executable rights on a binary file isn't a hack. It is a hack to you, an utter ignorant. Btw, am I talking to some stupid 12yo, by any chance ?

If file access permissions are too complicated for you too grasp, or you are too lazy to read a book, go back to win/mac. Its not going to be more secure if you don't know and don't care about access rights to vital system components. Linux is more secure because its users aren't utter ignorants.

Go back and tweet, listen to Lady Gaga and play ARMA2, kid. After you pick up a few books and you actually know what you are talking about, maybe then we can have a civilized conversation.

Comment

• Chill pill here folks.
                    So I'll see if I can put in some calmer tones. I personally think that much work is being made to make linux more "user friendly" and simpler for the average person to use. This is good to more wide-spread linux adoption, which in turn can help with more development, features, etc; it's generally a good thing.
                    On the other hand, linux grew from professional use. It's roots are there, and it is well known for being open and letting the user do whatever they wish. Simplifying things too much has the side effect of removing much of that choice, and then what's the point of things? It's also the wide range of choice which makes linux ideal for handheld/embedded/whatever devices.
                    I use linux for the freedom it offers. Sure, I use the proprietary drivers from AMD, but as a whole I can customise and use the system how I want - not how some company dictates I should use it.

Comment

• Always give the user enough rope. And then some, just in case.

Comment

Working...
                      X