No announcement yet.

AMD Releases OpenCL SDK For Linux Too

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remember that this is a beta, not a final release. I expect that everyone will have moved from beta to release code long before 10 months is up.
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      Remember that this is a beta, not a final release. I expect that everyone will have moved from beta to release code long before 10 months is up.
      I understand that but I would wager most people who are beta testing are doing so on their latest release of their distro. It's rather unusual to see a beta tester not running at least the current release.

Comment

"Supported on" and "runs on" are two different things. Especially for a beta product. In all likelyhood, it'll run on just about everything.

Comment

Originally posted by mirv View Post
          "Supported on" and "runs on" are two different things. Especially for a beta product. In all likelyhood, it'll run on just about everything.
          exactly...

Comment

Originally posted by AdrenalineJunky View Post
            exactly...
            Exactly what? When I see instructions recommending downgrading to a old ass version it makes me wonder. Really to try out a beta product against a old and little used version does very little to addressing issues that may creep up in the newer official distro. If a bug is submitted against a newer in use mainstream distro then the developers can say "well it's not supported" and that gets nobody nowhere.

The SDK may work on configurations that fall outside the list below. However, if your operating system, compiler or processor is not listed below, we recommend that you modify your configuration to a supported configuration for the best possible ATI Stream programming experience.

Comment

I think you're just looking for things to complain about now.
              For beta programs, you need some kind of baseline to test it against. Guess what - if openSuse 11 is older than 11.1, it's likely to be stable (i.e they know the ins & outs of it). If it doesn't work on 11.1 then they've got a good start of where to look.

Comment

Originally posted by mirv View Post
                I think you're just looking for things to complain about now.
                For beta programs, you need some kind of baseline to test it against. Guess what - if openSuse 11 is older than 11.1, it's likely to be stable (i.e they know the ins & outs of it). If it doesn't work on 11.1 then they've got a good start of where to look.
                Guess what when a official release is put out of a distro it is STABLE. Also distro's often mark a bug "To be fixed in next release" and those older releases never get the fix backported unless it's a security issue.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                  Exactly what? When I see instructions recommending downgrading to a old ass version it makes me wonder. Really to try out a beta product against a old and little used version does very little to addressing issues that may creep up in the newer official distro. If a bug is submitted against a newer in use mainstream distro then the developers can say "well it's not supported" and that gets nobody nowhere.
                  there are tons of programs everyone uses that are only "supported" on certian distro's, doesn't mean it won't work, if you have a problem with it, THEN complain, or rather, file a report. no reason to jump the gun.

Guess what when a official release is put out of a distro it is STABLE. Also distro's often mark a bug "To be fixed in next release" and those older releases never get the fix backported unless it's a security issue.
                  its relatively stable - big difference between relatively stable and very stable.

perfect example - kubuntu 8,10 was not what i would call stable.

now i've never used suse 11.0 or 11.1 for more then a half hour or so, so i'm not entirely sure where they rank, but thats besides the point anyway, like i said earlier, if you try it, and it doesn't work, that sucks, if its "unsupported" but works just fine, then be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by AdrenalineJunky View Post
                    there are tons of programs everyone uses that are only "supported" on certian distro's, doesn't mean it won't work, if you have a problem with it, THEN complain, or rather, file a report. no reason to jump the gun.
                    To get the largest and most worthy feedback one has to test against what the largest share in a particular distro. With openSUSE that would be 11.1, 11.0 users make up for <10 % of current opensuse users.

its relatively stable - big difference between relatively stable and very stable.

perfect example - kubuntu 8,10 was not what i would call stable.

now i've never used suse 11.0 or 11.1 for more then a half hour or so, so i'm not entirely sure where they rank, but thats besides the point anyway, like i said earlier, if you try it, and it doesn't work, that sucks, if its "unsupported" but works just fine, then be happy.
                    The only fixes placed in openSUSE are critical and security updates. For a update to be put out as a critical it must meet this criteria.

A vulnerability that could be easily exploited by a remote attacker to execute arbitrary code without prior authentication. In other words a vulnerability that could be leveraged by an Internet worm to spread without user interaction.
                    NonSecurity : A software issue which might cause data loss or data corruption.
                    Occasionally they will issue a patch marked as important, this is classified as

A vulnerability whose exploitation could result in compromise of the confidentiality, integrity, or availability of users data, or of the integrity or availability of processing resources.
                    An update to fix annoyance bugs are very rare and more often then not people are referred to running the unsupported upgrades to fix those issues. It is even more rare to see those fixes backported to older versions of the distro.

Comment

To get the largest and most worthy feedback one has to test against what the largest share in a particular distro. With openSUSE that would be 11.1, 11.0 users make up for <10 % of current opensuse users.
                      Maybe they're using 11.0 in-house. It's beta, not production. The most worthy feedback they can have is if it works on their systems, but not on others - then they can look at the differences, what makes it break, and most importantly: why. Or have you never debugged a large project before?

Comment

Working...
                      X