Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to contact MESA devs on some pesky performance bug?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to contact MESA devs on some pesky performance bug?

I've stumbled upon a really annoying performance issue on Intel GMA 45 on my Thinkpad T500. No response in the actual bug report (anymore) https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=977391 and no one on the IRC channel https://01.org/linuxgraphics/community/mesa . I'm willing to set up a meeting and spend even hours on the subject, as long as I got someone to talk to with the intent to tackle the issue.

Any thoughts?

The first thing you should do before bothering the devs is make sure that it is in fact the drivers that have regressed. And is not caused by something else to do with other updates in Fedora 19. Building and running mesa 9.1 should help determine this.

I have a quick guide to building the intel drivers as part of my (incomplete) Introduction to Mesa: http://www.itsqueeze.com/2013/09/int...rough-example/
    You will need to checkout and build the 9.1 branch from git.

If the performance is better in 9.1 you will then need to do a git bisect. Quick google explanation: http://webchick.net/node/99 basically you will need to use it to build different commits of mesa between version 9.1 and 9.2 until you find the problem commit.

Then once you find the problem commit you should report a bug following the procedure here: http://mesa3d.org/bugs.html

Comment

Thank you for answering my call.

What I did so far was:
      Recently I've confirmed the following using live media of Fedora, without updating:

18 - smooth

19 - not smooth

20 - not smooth
      Aaand 18+updates - not smooth.

It's lame, I know. I'm afraid isolating the commit to blame is beyond my skills. As far as I remember setting up a github tree (?, to install some program from sources available there) was beyond my reach.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucic View Post
        Thank you for answering my call.

What I did so far was:

Aaand 18+updates - not smooth.

It's lame, I know. I'm afraid isolating the commit to blame is beyond my skills. As far as I remember setting up a github tree (?, to install some program from sources available there) was beyond my reach.
        The only way to improve your skills it to give it a go. There is a lot of people in these forums that can help with questions you might have along the way. But if you dont put in some effort I doubt the devs will go to much effort for you. You said you would be happy to put some hours into this.

To start you off. Install git using yum then create a directory call git_repos in your home dir somewhere and type this: git clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa

This will download a clone of the git repository to your pc. Then follow my instructions in my first post. You may need to google some stuff (or ask here) if you dont understand but its all part of learning. I think in the end you will be surprised how easy it is.
        Last edited by tarceri; 18 September 2013, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Thank you! Will try. Just to make sure - the first thing I need to check is:
          problem goes away with older* mesa installed => it is caused by mesa ?
          (otherwise - it's not mesa to blame)
          *e.g. from fedora 17 times

I'd like to pint out one more thing. You told me to try it on my own BUT you provided me with an overview I can follow. This aspect is often neglected, both in "try to do it yourself" and in "here are instructions on how to do it" situations.

Comment

Thank you! Will try. Just to make sure - the first thing I need to check is:
            problem goes away with older* mesa installed => it is caused by mesa ?
            (otherwise - it's not mesa to blame)
            *e.g. from fedora 17 times
            Yes thats right. I would try finding out what the version on Mesa was used in Fedora 18 before you saw the bug.
            typing glxinfo in the command line should tell you this. Then I would try using that version under Fedora 19. I didnt look at your videos so I'm now sure exacly sure what the issue you were having was. I assumed it was laggyness with the Gnome shell in which case it could have been an update to Gnome that is causing the slowdown or something else in between. Anyway the first step should be to rule out or confirm if its a Mesa issue.

Good luck.

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

There's virtually no point for me to digg into all of that. I'll just install a fresh Fedora 17 and update MESA. It should confirm what I've found out - it's yet another problem with some linux stack many people suffer from, and not fixed for many months. A sorry-ass petbug regarding tearing issues.
                I found it by looking up this CLUTTER_PAINT=disable-clipped-redraws:disable-culling, which has been proposed by someone in one of the Gnome tweak guides. Thanks to this line I've traced it down.

Few days ago I got an update to the MESA 9.2. -Something- has changed for better but it's still not as good as it used to be, to say the least.

Now, is there a point in not so savvy guy like me filing a bug report against a pet-bug that's been there for a year, despite affecting thousands of linux users (it doesn't usually bother linux devs, this much I know, see the 2.6+ kernel power issues galore)?
                Last edited by Bucic; 25 September 2013, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Now, is there a point in not so savvy guy like me filing a bug report against a pet-bug that's been there for a year, despite affecting thousands of linux users (it doesn't usually bother linux devs, this much I know, see the 2.6+ kernel power issues galore)?
                  Definitely. If you don't, who will?

The developers will be able to give you instructions on what to try in order to track it down, or they will be able to give you pointers to the right place to look. In any case, you can come back here and ask for help if you're not sure of something that they're asking.

Comment

Originally posted by archibald View Post
                    Definitely. If you don't, who will?

The developers will be able to give you instructions on what to try in order to track it down, or they will be able to give you pointers to the right place to look. In any case, you can come back here and ask for help if you're not sure of something that they're asking.
                    By the looks of it many did (on redhat, freedesktop, gnome and other bugzillas) and they were given an indirect middle finger apparently.

Well, for starters, if you're still here, you could tell me how to update MESA in one blow. Like I said - I'll install Fedora 17 and confirm the culprit is in MESA by updating just this component. So, is
                    Code:
                    su -c 'yum update mesa*'
                    enough?

Comment

Working...
                    X