Unigine OilRush Barely Does 800 Sales To Date

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by grotgrot View Post
    I pre-ordered but I sure as hell am not recommending it to anyone else yet. Although it looks pretty, calling this a beta is a very long stretch.
    • It always crashes when playing a game (usually 45 seconds or so after encountering the enemy)
    • Keyboard focus is stolen - you cannot alt-tab out, the volume keys are ignored etc. The only way I have found to do these things is to exit the game completely
    • It will need lots of play balancing
    • There are random pauses and slow downs
    • Multi-platform gamers have to pick a platform
    • Yet another account with yet another password is created on yet another server using yet another payment processor
    • No mention of DRM in the official materials, and a statement of "none" to my direct question. Things could change and I bought on good faith.

The reality is they need to get far closer to finishing the game. For example it shouldn't crash all the time. This cannot spread by word of mouth or recommendation until that is addressed and some of the other issues are improved.

The bottom line is that people buy finished products and they need to finish it. They are lucky that some people are prepared to pay early.
    there is a fix for the crashes, look at the oilrush forums, delte the cfg file iirc

Comment

Originally posted by bugmenot3 View Post
      With Windows gaming struggling I don't know why people think that Linux gaming will be successful.

Insert Windows CD > Install ... if you want to play games on your PC.
      I hope there are not so many people following this stupid advice!
      Why should I use another OS only to play games? The Mac users have it, every time I see new games for Mac I ask myself why it is not possible with Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by grotgrot View Post
        [*]It always crashes when playing a game (usually 45 seconds or so after encountering the enemy)[*]There are random pauses and slow downs
        I only got a couple of crashes, which is expected for a beta. I finished the tutorials and played through most of the campaigns without any tech. problems - the engine/game is certainly not as unplayable as you claim. Ask around, contact the support team, file a bug, but don't sum it up as this would be the absolute truth.

I do agree that the game-play needs some adjustments; they opened a forum, use it.

Comment

I just bought the game to support the company.
          Graphics are very nice but its not my type of game. I think a racing game or rpg would bring more customers.

More advertising would help too.

Comment

The low sales of this game are completely unrelated to linux, windows or anything like that. I didn't want to comment on this, trying to be supportive, but... "Oil Rush"? Have you actually looked at this game? It's one of the less interesting games I've ever come across!

Comment

Bought it

I've played a couple of player vs computer rounds this week end.
              The graphics are nice, the interface is easy to understand : there aren't a lot of options to deal with.
              There are some slowdowns, the camera control is weird, doesn't behave the same on the minimap and on the main screen, some icons are not polished, there's no campaign, the diffculty level is unbalanced (easy is very easy, normal is not easy ).
              It's a "preview" of the game, if three months remain until the official launch, then progress can and will be made.
              Don't expect StarCraft 2 though, but it can be a fun multiplayer RTS game.
              I hope they get more pre-orders, and i think they need to concentrate on advertising it.
              Linux needs games with modern graphics to attract gamers, so instead of complaining, i think supporting the game is the right option.

Comment

oilrush

I heard the hype, was excited about a new RTS with linux. So I bought it, what I found was:

1) VERY simple gameplay, much like Archipelago for android smart phones. Pick 1 or more islands
                to attack from, pick a target, gain resources/planes/ships, repeat.

2) VERY unreliable, even for a beta this is pretty bad. Often it just hangs or segfaults
                when I launch or midgame.

3) Per platform licenses, seems unnecessarily user hostile.

4) Awkward interface, every multiple island attack requires clicking on every island, you can't
                just sweep your selection

5) Annoying that you can't change your mind after an attack... I guess it's a world without radio?

In any case this game seems very unlikely to sell in large enough quantities to amortize the cost of building a 3D gaming engine from scratch. It might be pretty enough to get other people to license it though. Not sure how competitive that market is, especially for multiple platforms. Oilrush is pretty so except for the serious stability problems the engine looks promising.

Considering the "beta" is fairly crippled. All 3 missions (2 of which are simple/poorly done tutorials) campaigns, missing functionality (network play), missing stability. I'd call this a rough alpha at best.

Sure many other games are doing the pre-order help fund development thing, but the ones I've played with have all been MUCH more fun, and MUCH more stable. Take minecraft for instance. Beta has been rock solid and it's not licensed per platform. It's selling by the million because even as is, it's fun.

Comment

Just wondering...why don't they consider putting it in Steam? Very large customer base. And it might help encourage Valve to seriously consider a Linux version of Steam too with a number of Linux games (World of Goo, Braid, Osmos, and few other games).

I pretty much just buy my games from Steam as it's easiest for me.

Comment

Originally posted by JGJones View Post
                    Just wondering...why don't they consider putting it in Steam? Very large customer base. And it might help encourage Valve to seriously consider a Linux version of Steam too with a number of Linux games (World of Goo, Braid, Osmos, and few other games).

I pretty much just buy my games from Steam as it's easiest for me.
                    According to their forum, they are considering distributing the game through steam, but no date given...

Comment

Originally posted by Naib View Post
                      there is a fix for the crashes, look at the oilrush forums, delte the cfg file iirc
                      Or they could distribute a version with the cfg fixed so there are no crashes. Or they could tell me the forums even exist. At no point in the whole purchase & download process did I receive anything telling me how to provide feedback.

Comment

Working...
                      X