No announcement yet.

Linux Desktop Marketshare Passes 1%!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hackintoshes are making HUGE moves in market share. Much much more than any other OS. It's really just a derivative of unix so people are using work done on linux and hacking it up to work with tons of stuff. Ubuntu 9.04 and if Fedora can do a decent Leonidas will take more and more market share. Windows 7 is all hype and sunshine right now. It'll canabilize XP at maybe higher rates than OSx and linux but it'll still be canabilization. Doubt it can beat the march to OSX though. The recession will make large moves in windows market to free software and the more free software people have under windows the more groundwork is layed for people to jump ship.

Microsoft just does not have the resources to secure an OS. Compare microsfts dozen guys looking at security loopholes to the thousands of eyes and thousands of minds under linux and it becomes clear that security will keep driving more and more people to linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Hephasteus View Post
      Hackintoshes are making HUGE moves in market share. Much much more than any other OS. It's really just a derivative of unix so people are using work done on linux and hacking it up to work with tons of stuff. Ubuntu 9.04 and if Fedora can do a decent Leonidas will take more and more market share. Windows 7 is all hype and sunshine right now. It'll canabilize XP at maybe higher rates than OSx and linux but it'll still be canabilization. Doubt it can beat the march to OSX though. The recession will make large moves in windows market to free software and the more free software people have under windows the more groundwork is layed for people to jump ship.

Microsoft just does not have the resources to secure an OS. Compare microsfts dozen guys looking at security loopholes to the thousands of eyes and thousands of minds under linux and it becomes clear that security will keep driving more and more people to linux.
      Don't forget the HUGE number of machines that can't get through the great firewalls of China and the likes where Windows piracy runs rampant.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
        Watch that number get pummeled down with Win 7 and OS X 10.6 being released in the near future. The fear of upgrading to it is not nearly as great as it was when Vista came out.
        Yeah, there's huge marketing bull about them and many users will switch for a different wallpaper. It was harder to convince them they need vista, but... It's possible that number will rise when those two marketing children arrive.
        Last edited by kraftman; 07 May 2009, 03:06 PM.

Comment

the linux share wont be largely affected. I dont know of many people who have switched to windows or mac because they release a new OS.

Comment

Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
            the linux share wont be largely affected. I dont know of many people who have switched to windows or mac because they release a new OS.
            Yeah and I know people who did opposite :>

Comment

People often holding off purchases of new machines until a soon to be released OS is out. If history serves as any indicator Win 7 will be a big release for MS. 95 vs 98 , 2k vs XP and Vista Vs Win 7.
              Last edited by deanjo; 07 May 2009, 03:59 PM.

Comment

have u tried win 7? I lasted 4 days, hardly used it and my sound all messed up. The video drivers are rigged to give crap OGL performance. I get the feeling of a fresh KDE install. Seems they have not only copied mac but they have moved on to copying open source stuff. Examples i cant provide as i used it for 4 days some many moons ago.

Reminds me of what i have heard on the radio this morning. Yesterday "edge" made der intern eat dog food. Today virgin radio was to make der intern do the same thing. Virgin radio copies alot of what the edge does and loses alot of its listener base because of it. It happened with Vista/Mac and i can see it happening here .

Its windows vista with an updated toolbar and very minor cosmetic changes. They have simply made the code for it what it was supposed to be 3 years ago. Mind you i found the toolbar to be very very very buggy. Sound system worked worse then vista.

Microshaft has the world against them right now. They have angry vista customers. A garbage economy and very very bad programmers (notes back to the great winsock leak).

If anything MS will not gain any ground as most MS users will stick with MS. Some may look for alternatives. As far as market share goes however linux will slowly grow as windows users get fed up, same goes for mac. MS will make back what they paid in development costs and little more.

Amen

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                  Don't forget the HUGE number of machines that can't get through the great firewalls of China and the likes where Windows piracy runs rampant.
                  I don't know why they don't make more headway with Red Flag Linux. It's a nice linux with nicely copied windows XP interface. You don't ever hear or see much of what is going on with china. But people all over rest of asia are hackintosh nuts right now. They've pumped OS/X website hits from 7 percent to over 11 percent.

I wish GNU's hurd was further along because it's looking like linux will have to turn more into a microkernel system like OSX while OSX has been evolving into a more complete OS. Me thinks everything will always meet in the middle like that.

Governments always tax too much. Corporations always price too high in any situation. It's the way they fake being caring cooperative and reasonable but remain being facist and hard assed. The amount of cooperation they get in this mode determines how much force be it military or financial or judicial they need to use to control everything.

But the bottom line is it doesn't matter who runs what or why. Oh I know who cares. The people who want to pretend that the world can't live without them and everyone is in fact drinking their coolaide it's just that not everyone is paying the price. blah blah blah.
                  Linux is small when it's being statistically diminished for marketing reasons. It's huge when it's being competed against. etc etc. Polish the fun house mirrors. Nothing is actual size any more.

Comment

have u tried win 7? I lasted 4 days, hardly used it and my sound all messed up. The video drivers are rigged to give crap OGL performance. I get the feeling of a fresh KDE install. Seems they have not only copied mac but they have moved on to copying open source stuff. Examples i cant provide as i used it for 4 days some many moons ago.

Reminds me of what i have heard on the radio this morning. Yesterday "edge" made der intern eat dog food. Today virgin radio was to make der intern do the same thing. Virgin radio copies alot of what the edge does and loses alot of its listener base because of it. It happened with Vista/Mac and i can see it happening here .

Its windows vista with an updated toolbar and very minor cosmetic changes. They have simply made the code for it what it was supposed to be 3 years ago. Mind you i found the toolbar to be very very very buggy. Sound system worked worse then vista.

Microshaft has the world against them right now. They have angry vista customers. A garbage economy and very very bad programmers (notes back to the great winsock leak).

If anything MS will not gain any ground as most MS users will stick with MS. Some may look for alternatives. As far as market share goes however linux will slowly grow as windows users get fed up, same goes for mac. MS will make back what they paid in development costs and little more.

Amen
                    Actually yes I have tried it. Currently on many workstations at work of various configs. As a whole things went really smooth.

Comment

Originally posted by Hephasteus View Post
                      I don't know why they don't make more headway with Red Flag Linux. It's a nice linux with nicely copied windows XP interface.
                      http://www.theinternetpatrol.com/chi...rivacy-groups/ doesn't give linux the best impression now does it?

Comment

Working...
                      X