NVIDIA 337.19 Beta Linux GPU Driver Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by spykes View Post
    What is the state of their Optimus support by now ?
    Do we still have to rely on hacks like Primus or Bumblebee ?
    I whish Valves puts some pressure on them to better support those configurations as well.
    There is support for xrandr offloading of nvidia graphics onto embedded ones (like intel), it kinda works, but it's far from perfect and vsync doesn't work between both gpus (so expect tearing).
    Primus is probably still better solution, I wouldn't get my hopes too high for 'windows like' optimus support anytime soon (this year or even next year).

Comment

Originally posted by Veske View Post
      But why is Nvidia messing around with Ubuntu's plymouth still? After every Nvidia driver install, no matter the version, plymouth gets screwed up and you have to go edit grub again to fix it but that also fixes it partially.
      I can't say I experience that issue. It shouldn't be touching your grub or plymouth configuration at all.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
        I can't say I experience that issue. It shouldn't be touching your grub or plymouth configuration at all.
        plymouth is the splash screen right? (loading logo)
        if it is, i found out that when using .deb messes up (its all ugly) if i install it with the .sh manualy, it dosent mess up...
        maybe they are packaging it wrong? i would really like this to be fixed since it looks awefull.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSoulz View Post
          plymouth is the splash screen right? (loading logo)
          if it is, i found out that when using .deb messes up (its all ugly) if i install it with the .sh manualy, it dosent mess up...
          maybe they are packaging it wrong? i would really like this to be fixed since it looks awefull.
          Intresting, will give the .sh installation a try and report back.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
            They support Windows 7, 8 etc. They don't have to support hundred and one Linux distributions. I would officially support Rhel, Ubuntu and SteamOS.
            Actually Nvidia hosts RPMs for openSUSE and SuSE enterprise. So you are using the wrong distro :P. The packages are still however maintained by SUSE.

Comment

On my case wine works normally with this driver

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                They do just that. The X.Org and kernel version they support is often way more up to date than what the distros you named have in their repos. There is no special magic sauce needed to support Linux 3.13 and X11 1.15 on different distros. They're all the same.
                That's true, but I was talking about upgrading the nvidia driver. It's not such simple thing to do and nvidia doesn't help much in this case. We usually have to add additional repositories.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                  Actually Nvidia hosts RPMs for openSUSE and SuSE enterprise. So you are using the wrong distro :P. The packages are still however maintained by SUSE.
                  This is the answer I wanted to hear. Thanks Deanjo.

Comment

Just installed this driver. I used the 'sh' way. I bought a recent generation card (gtx 750) so I already had older Nvidia (legacy) drivers installed so the process was complicated (imho). I had to decide whether to take the latest driver version from the repo - use a driver from a later distro version (for e.g. Debian stable vs sid or Ubuntu 14.04 vs ?). I had the silly idea of upgrading my kernel so I did that first. It seems that there is some uncertainty of whether certain video drivers play nice with particular kernel versions?

Anyway, is there anything to test? I find that I have flickering when I use Google - Apps - (the icon or square). The right-hand side of the drop-down box flickers when you first click it.

Comment

Working...
                    X