Ubuntu 11.04 Desktop To Get Rid Of GNOME's Shell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ragas View Post
    Why the hell would you do that?! Kubuntu is packaged even worse than Ubuntu.
    For KDE at least use SUSE
    SuSE? For NVIDIA users SuSE is (S)uSEless! I've tried 11.0, 11.1 and 11.2 and always got a giant kernel panic with NVIDIA when I tried to switch to the terminal, or randomly, absent with EVERY OTHER DISTRO. Also, Kubuntu Maverick Meerkat is a lot better than previous Kubuntu incarnations. You have an useful package manager (KPackagekit is, for the first time, really useful, and if you need more, you can install Muon from a PPA), a working Bluetooth stack (not that disaster called KBluetooth) and no mysterious translation bugs (this is a FIRST, congratulations!).

Kubuntu has surpassed the desktop experience of Fedora KDE, right now. I don't know about SuSE, because the SuSE-specific panics have kept me out from it.

Comment

Well this is not refrigerator OS and i like my center full screen and not cut by left or right side so what it will be, stock price to low or something?

Comment

And fix this site is too slow and stop giving me new text window if got 1 min limitation, when i press back page...

Comment

Fascinating.

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
          Guys, the performance problems of Unity where due to using Mutter which will no longer be used and they did the first Unity with a small team in just 6 months and it is pretty good for that. Now they have a huge team working on just improving Unity to make it shine really bright. They even hired smspillaz, the well known Compiz developer and will use the Compiz rewrite (0.9 and later) for Unity.

Hate him if you want, but they know what they're doing as they had to think about Gnome-panel vs. Gnome-shell vs. Unity for a long time now.
          While I have no reason to doubt you, aside from my own experiences with Unity and Gnome-Shell (jhbuilt 2 days ago on desktop), why have I been unable to use Unity for the past several weeks? At the same time, G-S, from the ppa, runs fine (this is on netbook).
          Unity doesn't seem to solve any problems. A dock (AWN, or, perferably, Cairo-Dock, or even Docky) would give you the same side-panel plus more features. The ridiculous accordion effect looks neato but is not as good a solution as fish-eye, plus it will be interesting to see it's use on a touch screen (while G-S would actually work well on a touch screen -- giant freaking icons in overview + activities button (expose)).
          No, I don't think this was well thought out, just as I think Shuttleworth's notification system was not well thought out. Gnome-Shell's notification system is already better than Ubuntu's, IMHO, and it is not complete.
          Ubuntu has really good designers NOW, and their papercuts project was/is fantastic, but left to their own, I fear for the distro.

Comment

Meh - I think it's time for me to go back to vanilla Debian...

Comment

Originally posted by Alejandro Nova View Post
              SuSE? For NVIDIA users SuSE is (S)uSEless! I've tried 11.0, 11.1 and 11.2 and always got a giant kernel panic with NVIDIA when I tried to switch to the terminal, or randomly
              Stop making bullshit up. I use openSUSE on different PCs since 10.3, two of them with NVidia GPU (one with Radeon) and never were the NVidia drivers from the official repository causing kernel panics.

Comment

Originally posted by KAMiKAZOW View Post
                Stop making bullshit up. I use openSUSE on different PCs since 10.3, two of them with NVidia GPU (one with Radeon) and never were the NVidia drivers from the official repository causing kernel panics.
                Agreed. I've used opensuse on multiple computers including ones with nvidia gpus... sad that people hate on a distro just because they don't know how to install a driver.

As for apt vs zypper, they're almost the same except zypper has more functionality. I don't see why someone would use apt over zypper unless the just came from a debian distro and didn't realize that they simple need to write zypper instead of apt-get... That's why they dropped apt for suse right? There was 0 advantage in using apt so it was a waste the time.

If silly little deb fanboys, who think it at all about the 3 little letters at the end of package files, gave opensuse a proper chance and checked out the build service they'd see the old arguments of deb vs rpm are dead. It doesn't matter any more... not that there's really any real difference anyway.

Comment

I applaud Canonical for taking such a bold step. The conservative Linux community will of course reject this in their usual duplicitous manner ("we have KDE and Gnome, why would we need anything else?") but, as Conan used to say, to hell with them! Our ecosystem cannot evolve without taking risks.

Obviously, Unity is not ready for prime-time right now but Canonical is putting some serious muscle behind it. I have nothing but respect for smspillaz (Compiz) and he deserves to be recognized for his efforts. His experience will help make Unity shine.

As for GNOME Shell, I think it's a lost cause. I really wanted to like it, but its developers still haven't managed to make something useful after 2 years. Their attitude doesn't help either and I wouldn't be surprised if it was rejected for GNOME 3 in its current state.

Comment

What is up with this, "We are a GNOME distribution" and "We are a KDE distribution" nonsense?

Seriously, there is some apps from the GNOME camp that works better, and some from KDE camp.

Grow up people! This is not a feud, let the better app win!

Comment

gnome-ubuntu of course

i hate look and feel of KDE it reminds me windows...

gnome-ubuntugnome is more friendly for me.

gnome shell isnt gnome

Comment

Working...
                      X