Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Considering a new GPU soon. How's the 7700 series on Linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It seems the original poster has been living under a rock.

1. Catalyst has always been problematic on Linux and will stay that way - I switched away from ATI (partly) because I had to wait for a new release of Catalyst (or two) whenever Ubuntu switched to a new X server. And Ubuntu isn't all that cutting edge even.
    2. The open-source driver will never be usable for gaming. Ok, maybe when AMD releases Radeon 12770, your 7770 will work better using the open source driver, because AMD would have dropped support from Catalyst 3 years before.

But if you don't care about a usable card and just want to support OSS, then your choices would be ok.

Comment

It seems you don't know

Originally posted by curaga View Post
      It seems they do, as nobody sells 2720x1024 screens. Your numbers claim that to be the fullscreen res.
      That you can run Quake in multi screen.

That's right, I'm bad!

Comment

You know

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

But if you don't care about a usable card and just want to support OSS, then your choices would be ok.
        What the reality of the situation is.

Comment

I discovered by accident

Originally posted by Enverex View Post
          With a little thought, it seems he's running 2 monitors (side by side) at 1360x1024 resolution (1360 x 2 = 2720). Makes sense.
          That if you use a wide aspect ratio screen along with a 3x4 then your crosshairs don't end up between the monitors. I like it that way too! One thing AMD does have going for it is they offer more 3 screen solutions than Nvidia does. Or so I've heard, I'm not the worlds biggest AMD fan so I don't stay that up on it.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
            It seems the original poster has been living under a rock.

1. Catalyst has always been problematic on Linux and will stay that way - I switched away from ATI (partly) because I had to wait for a new release of Catalyst (or two) whenever Ubuntu switched to a new X server. And Ubuntu isn't all that cutting edge even.
            2. The open-source driver will never be usable for gaming. Ok, maybe when AMD releases Radeon 12770, your 7770 will work better using the open source driver, because AMD would have dropped support from Catalyst 3 years before.

1. Yep, I am a long time NVIDIA user who decided to give AMD a go after seeing some improvements with the open source stuff. I tried to make do with Fglrx until OSS catches up, but it's just nowhere near the reliability of NVIDIA for me.

2. Depends, but overall true.

I didn't buy the GPU after (forgot about this thread until it hit the front page), and will be grabbing a mid-range NVIDIA card soon to replace the 6450 so I can go back to forgetting that my driver exists. Maybe in a few years I'll give AMD a go again; I won't be bothering after the consistent Fglrx issues I've been having. I still recommend AMD cards for non-gamers, though... the open source driver is great overall for 2d, media playback, and basic 3d.

Comment

I'm looking for the best "no-additional-PCIe-adapter-required" card right now and as far as I can tell that's the GT640, but the 640 gets killed by the 7750 which is the same price.

Is there another, better nVidia card that I'm missing, or will it be a case of waiting for the GT640 with GDDR5? (and why is this not already out?)

Comment

Hm, right, I discounted dual screens because 1360x1024 monitors aren't sold either. Pretty weird setup you got there, gaming on two different-sized monitors.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                  Hm, right, I discounted dual screens because 1360x1024 monitors aren't sold either. Pretty weird setup you got there, gaming on two different-sized monitors.
                  Googling it gives a bajillion wallpapers so it's apparently common, but I agree that it seems like a really weird resolution.

Comment

Originally posted by Newfie View Post
                    1. Yep, I am a long time NVIDIA user who decided to give AMD a go after seeing some improvements with the open source stuff. I tried to make do with Fglrx until OSS catches up, but it's just nowhere near the reliability of NVIDIA for me.

2. Depends, but overall true.

I didn't buy the GPU after (forgot about this thread until it hit the front page), and will be grabbing a mid-range NVIDIA card soon to replace the 6450 so I can go back to forgetting that my driver exists. Maybe in a few years I'll give AMD a go again; I won't be bothering after the consistent Fglrx issues I've been having. I still recommend AMD cards for non-gamers, though... the open source driver is great overall for 2d, media playback, and basic 3d.
                    As kano mentioned before, the video card you chose to begin with is not meant for games. That card was best suited for basic Desktop usage without games. Even phoronix's own reviews show that the Radeon HD6550D[2] performs on average two times faster than the Radeon HD6450 [1].

[1] Radeon HD6450 review
                    [2] AMD A8-3870K - Radeon HD 6550D Graphics ( Best comparision for integrated graphics )

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                      I can not think about one good reason why somebody should buy AMD cards for Linux usage
                      - Ethics
                      - Proper investment in FOSS drivers with both documentation AND developers
                      - Improvements on the proprietary ones for home desktop usage on the top of the FOSS effort
                      - FGLRX is far better than the usual suspects here make it out to be

Originally posted by Paul Frederick View Post
                      If AMD went belly up tomorrow I wouldn't shed any tears. ATI sucked too.
                      Yeah, wouldn't it be just great to have to shell out twice as much for half as good hardware, competition is such an overrated concept for us consumers.

Anyway...
                      HD7770 owner here, Gigabyte's model.
                      Fairly silent once the fan control kicks in, shorter than reference cards, performs great for the price.
                      Can't comment on XvBA since I stick to SMplayer with GL output.
                      ALSA is having problem with the HDMI output at the moment, if that's important to you.

By the way Newfie, what does the rest of your rig look like?

Comment

Working...
                      X